The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..22~23~24 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 21:06, tommy wrote:
Well it seems absurd to me to expect to have a sensible conversation with a pot head, whose brain cell receptors are influenced by tetrahydrocannabinol and 40 other chemicals he can't pronounce. Have you tried it?

:)

I haven't been in that situation in several decades, but I assure you I had some of my best conversations ever when both of us were under the influence. It's not my fault if I couldn't remember what they were about the next day. But I'm told they were epic, epic. At least that's what the other guy would say, but he was somewhat hazy on the details too. But let's just say, Einstein, Heisenberg, the Unified Field Theory, and red marbles played an important part.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Pothead [ˈpɒtˌhɛd]
n
(Law / Recreational Drugs) Slang a habitual user of cannabis.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pothead

Is this the “insult” that the self confessed habitual user of cannabis is referring to?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I think Tommy's logic is a good example of the dangerous of alcohol consumption.

BTW, congratulate me: I just gave up one of the deadliest drugs known to man: I just quit drinking. I only smoke pot now, nothing else. Amazing how much better I feel.

After reading Aces and Tommy's reasoning , I thought: if this is what drinking does to your brain, I'd better stop now. Smile

As a side note, the brilliant Physicist Richard Feynman also quit drinking and only smoked pot because he believed alcohol destroyed your ability to think clearly. He didn't feel that way about pot and was an avid smoker his whole life.

so, on the pot side we have Richard Feynman, and on the alcohol side we have Tommy and Aces.

Clearly Feynman was right. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Run by drug dealers?

Yes Bob the government there are now drug dealers, in "being the first country to legalize and regulate the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana."
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The term "drug dealer" refers to the criminal distribution of drugs.Calling the government drug dealers for legalizing marijuana would be the same as calling them "bootleggers" for allowing you to sell alcohol (which remains the most dangerous and lethal drug of them all).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems a reasonable description of drug dealing to me. In fact, the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana, is in fact drug dealing in my neck of the woods. Ask a policeman if you don't believe me.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Your neck of the woods isn't the whole world. It's perfectly legal where I live (if you don't believe me, ask one of our policemen) and, in many states, its use has at least been largely decriminalized if not legalized outright.

There are two types of criminal laws- those that prohibit conduct that is malum in se (evil in and of itself) and malum prohibitum (conduct that is illegal simply because there is a law against it- like eating Corn Flakes on Sunday).

Smoking marijuana clearly falls into the latter category.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Or, as Chaucer wrote, "Each Man lyketh the smelle of his own farte."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
In defense of Alcohol, it is the responsibility of the drinker to know when enough is enough AND not endanger other's by irresponsible actions. I enjoy a good beer and scotch now and then (mostly then) but I don't get drunk because I don't like being out of control. I pace myself with Alcohol. I do the same with Pot except with Pot I like to smoke enough to feel good and get my creative juices going (I can't be creative under too much Alcohol).

The real difference between Alcohol and Pot is the FACT that Pot will make you lazy or fall asleep if you do too much but Alcohol can make you DEAD. Habitual overuse of Alcohol can ruin your liver and has other potential health hazards. Habitual overuse of Pot will generaly make one lazy and maybe stay in bed too long or gain too much weight due to the "Munchies". Also, Pot let's me stay in control of myself, even if I overuse it.

500,000 Pot smoker's at Woodstock and very few fights. Put 500,000 drinker's together and let's see if the results match that of Woodstock.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 18:32, Slide wrote:
It doesn't mean it isn't the direct cause of death either. You really seem to have trouble with comprehending what you read. It is showing you the SCOPE of related health issues. Other diseases, such as cirrhoses of the liver, are more directly related. cigarettes are a casual factor in lung cancer. Does that mean cigarettes are safe then in your opinion.

This thread has just become ridiculous. See how much addicts will defend their (drug) drink of choice? I bet heroin addicts also don't think it is harmful. jees look at yourselves.

I'll leave it to the addict and the pusher on this thread to keep deflecting. I'm out.

There is nothing wrong in retreating when it the logical choice. Good decision when one's position is indefensible.

Quite honestly I am nothing more than a social drinker. Manhattan or Crème and Kahlua and occasional Wine at meals. However it seems that your passion for pot goes beyond what would be considered casual or just social and perhaps you are either trying to defend that position or are rationalizing. But that is not what this topic is about. However it seems like it is best that you are out of this topic as you stated.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I believe the topic would be best served if you and Tommy were out of it. You don't know what you are talking about and your own narrow experience clouds your judgement.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
In defence of Alcohol eh

I hate to burst your bubble but:

Alcohol requires no defence.

Alcohol is not accused.

Alcohol is not in the dock.

If you want put Alcohol in the dock go and start another thread about Alcohol.

What is in the dock here is the Uruguay Government, which has decided to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana.

Got it?

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
One repercussion I 'm betting on is that the the Uruguayan liquor industry is quaking in its boots.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 21:58, tommy wrote:
The issue is what are the international, unintended, unwelcome, consequence or action will be to Uruguay legalizing marijuana.

The possible reversal of the international, unintended, unwelcome, consequence or action caused by it being illegal in the first place?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 16:33, Slide wrote:
I believe the topic would be best served if you and Tommy were out of it. You don't know what you are talking about and your own narrow experience clouds your judgement.

I just won a wager with myself. I knew you had to respond even though you said you were out. Going to enjoy a nice rare steak at Ruth Chris with my wife and maybe even indulge in a drink or two. Thanks for being so predictable. I am sure the wife thanks you too.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Some see efforts to reduce the criminality of pot as a sign that things are getting insane, others see it as a sign that matters regarding this issue are getting less insane.

Anyone who thinks Reefer Madness was a documentary, or believes that prohibitions works, will generally fall in to the former camp.

The people in the latter camp are fast becoming the majority, many of which don't presently use marijuana.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My contention or idea of it is that, international business, is what is behind the Uruguay Government, deciding to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana.

As international business, was what lay behind the drug propaganda of the 1960s. Which is a contention sported by the Russian drug tzar, and I would not argue with him.

If I am correct, then we talking about worldwide thing coming in, as international business moves in international ways, obviously.

I say it is no coincidence that we see all over the world this legalisation coming in, at the same time.

It is not personal, it's business.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" maybe even indulge in a drink or two."

Yeah, THAT's the reason you are having a drink or two . Smile

You made a bet with yourself if I would respond to something directed at me? No, you brought be back by responding. But if need to use me to give you an excuse to drink, go for it
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I hope he's not driving.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL