We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..22~23~24 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well quit derailing the subject with sewage like:

"Marijuana is in fact a recreational drug that creates a distortion of reality..."

Why do you care? This COULD be an intelligent discussion. Instead we have the ANTI-Marijuana crew insulting us and trolling this thread! What did Bob Cassidy ever do to deserve insults like the above? An honorable man, Bob. I was also hurt by that statement that acesover wrote:

"Have you ever defended a client while you were stoned? How did that work out? Is it even legal? I am quite sure it is not ethical."

OK, ask me: Have I ever been on the radio (disk jockey for 40 yrs) stoned? YES! Most of my career! I came in #1 at every radio station I worked at! The night shift has its perks! How did that work out? Great! Is it even legal? **** NO. Who cares? Ethical? LOL! Who cares?" Smile

Back on subject, please...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'll wait until we can talk intelligently and quit this side tracking. If you don't like cannabis, you are welcome to go to another thread. You DON'T have to stay here and derail US.

Doug
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Intelligently" = "just among those of us who agree"?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 18:00, Dougini wrote:
I'll wait until we can talk intelligently and quit this side tracking. If you don't like cannabis, you are welcome to go to another thread. You DON'T have to stay here and derail US.

Doug

Do you mean that only people who partake of cannabis are allowed to post on this thread?

Before I am accused of creating a Straw Man here, you did say, "If you don't like cannabis, you are welcome to go to another thread." Some here might say that you are being mean spirited by that remark. It seems as if you are implying that if we do not agree with you we should not participate in this thread. Is that about right? Is that what you mean?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 17:57, Dougini wrote:
Well quit derailing the subject with sewage like:

"Marijuana is in fact a recreational drug that creates a distortion of reality..."

Why do you care? This COULD be an intelligent discussion. Instead we have the ANTI-Marijuana crew insulting us and trolling this thread! What did Bob Cassidy ever do to deserve insults like the above? An honorable man, Bob. I was also hurt by that statement that acesover wrote:

"Have you ever defended a client while you were stoned? How did that work out? Is it even legal? I am quite sure it is not ethical."

OK, ask me: Have I ever been on the radio (disk jockey for 40 yrs) stoned? YES! Most of my career! I came in #1 at every radio station I worked at! The night shift has its perks! How did that work out? Great! Is it even legal? HELL NO. Who cares? Ethical? LOL! Who cares?" Smile

Back on subject, please...

Doug

I think I now have a better understanding of several of your previous posts regarding alien visitations.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
It also makes them very placid in the classroom.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My apologies guys. I think things got out of hand here. Honestly, this is not the example I want to set. This still has an ugly stigma attached. I have thought seriously about it. Young people here (12 and up) will not be enlightened reading this. I do NOT want to encourage this behavior, and wish to state that drinking and smoking are ADULT vices.

My past use of substances has NOTHING to do with Alien Visitations. I know TWO Air Force officers that could back me up on that. But I digress...

Please forgive me if I have offended you. I just do what I do. I don't have any problems due to it, BUT...your mileage may vary. I don't condone drinking around children either. That also sets a bad example. The staff here in the Café are not real pleased with me right now.

That was never my intention. Sometimes I forget where I am. It's easy to do. NVMS is a forum that is easy to forget that you're in the Magic Café. Maybe I need to take a break. Being retired ain't as easy as it sounds! LOL! Maybe I need to hang out at Food Network for a while! Smile

Thanks guys. Sometimes I need a kick in the keester...

Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Alcohol, tobacco, refined sugar... prescription medication ... all have associated risks for long term health and short term effect on driving.

What makes one substance or medication any more "bad" than another?

Please drive safely and act responsibly.

happy holidays,

JonT
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 21:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Alcohol, tobacco, refined sugar...prescription medication...What makes one substance or medication any more "bad" than another?

Abuse potential (Sugar can be, and is abused as well. And...it can be deadly...). Coffee is a good example. That is one socially accepted drug that is quite addictive. I do not drink coffee. I find it repulsive. I gag if I smell it in the morning. I know a fellow disc jockey who tried to quit coffee. Epic Fail! Long story...

Tobacco scares me. I am SO glad I was able to quit that! The only way was to become deathly ILL for a month. When I got well, I never smoked tobacco again. I feel really bad for those who are addicted. It's a substance I feel should be made illegal for all the harm it does.

So kids, just because it is "socially acceptible" does NOT mean it's OK! You do NOT want to be involved with any of these vices! That means prescriptions as well. And, I do not smoke cannabis sun up to sun down. I take a tincture (5 drops under the tongue) that is not psychoactive. I have to be lucid during the day. My relaxation happens in the late evening. And only a very small amount. I do not abuse it.

To each his/her own. Responsible adults have the right to their pleasures. They do not drive. They do not operate heavy machinery while indulging. Responsible adults do not flaunt it around children nor people who are offended. We must be considerate of those who do not see things as we do. Agree to disagree.

Doug
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 17:01, tommy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-25 21:09, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-20 18:14, tommy wrote:

And when they have you all working like a slave, or doing whatever it is for them they want, you will be happy. And all the potheads lived happily ever after.

As I see it, you're implying that anyone who EVER uses marijuana will end up a hopeless pothead. By that theory, since alcohol is legal, anybody who ever has a beer is going to end up on the Bowery drinking Night Train.

No Ed. I am not implying that.

What is your question?

I can't see where you're not. Every post you've posted has to do with people as hopeless potheads.

Although I don't personally use marijuana (did it once, got giggley, didn't like it) No one has ever shown me any information that it's any more dangerous than alcohol (although it is worse for the lungs than cigarettes, I'll acknowledge that)

So, my question is; do you think a person who drinks an ocassional beer or has a glass of wine now and then is destined to become a hopeless alcoholic, stumbling down the Bowery begging for loose change to get a pint of Night Train with?

If not, then why do you assume everyone who uses pot will become a pothead and accomplish nothing else in his/her life?

If that's NOT what you're claiming, then what exactly IS your objection to marijuana being legalized?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I guess Carl Sagan was a hopeless pothead. Willie Nelson is a hopeless pothead. The list is way too long to name all the hopless potheads who are or were at the top of their game. Maybe these hopeless potheads were just lucky?

Here is a list of problems that will arise out of legal Marijuana:

All the kids will have free access to acquire pot and will be smoking and eating their way to oblivion.
The streets will be cluttered with wrecks and dead bodies everywhere.
People will be killing each other, the streets won't be safe anymore.
Goods and Services will be non existent because nobody will go to work, making the U.S.A. a welfare nation.

Just look what happened in the Netherlands when their Government decided to control the sales of Pot. The country went to hell and homocide rate went up 1000%.

Making Marijuana legal will DESTROY Society! and don't forget, the entire country will soon be addicted to HEROIN!
This is FACT.
I gotta go now and shoot up.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Thank you for mentioning Carl Sagan, Iven. The following article contains an overview of Sagan's position and a link to the lengthy essay he wrote on the subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31......112.html

It's been said that it is "simply not true" that marijuana enhances creativity. As shown by Sagan and many others, that is an opinion without any basis in fact.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
A lot has been said here about the recreational use of MJ. My doctor told me (2 docs, actually) that I must do a "dose" every three hours. All day. I quit for a year (when I was in the homeless shelter), and now am blind in one eye! Glaucoma is not a joke. Cannabis could have prevented it. Cannabis cost $400 an ounce back then. I ran out of money, and had to stop using it. It's illegal in Florida. You go to JAIL if they find so much as a SEED.

I came to Maine on a promise to get a radio job in Bangor. Epic FAIL. After the V.A. pulled me out of the shelter, my doctor and I discussed cannabis. She gave me a local number to a doctor willing to help. Unfortunately, the V.A. is hands-off on this, so I have to do it on my own, out-of-pocket. I made a deal with a local grower who takes care of me monthly.

What I find offensive, is being labelled. A "drug user". What a crock. A "pothead". Like I go around all day, stoned out of my mind. NOT! To people like Tommy (no offense to ya Smile), it's all or nothing. Either you abstain or you're plastered to the nines! No middle ground. No moderate or light use. You partake, and you're guilty of a crime!

Well, I don't have to own that. Neither do you. Education is key here. Alcohol KILLED my mother. Right in front of me...at 13. An alcohol overdose. She went from wine to VODKA in a very short time. BAM. 8:10 on a Tuesday night. I was taken to San Jose Jail. I spent 6 months there waiting for a foster home. Any WONDER why I hate alcohol? Cannabis alone could NEVER have done that!

If you are going to label me as a drug user, do it because I take Hydrochlorothiazide and Metoprolol Tartrate for high blood pressure! Not because I use a small amount of Cannabis daily. Please?

Doug
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
We have choices:

for me, I could just carry the stress I deal with, let it fester, and get ulcers and perhaps a heart attack.

Or I can take a couple of hits, relax, and let the stress melt away.

some of you think powering through stress is the right way. Those people are candidates for early heart attacks.
or you can figure out something non harmful to relieve the stress and put years on your life.

I chose the second option.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
“I can't see where you're not. Every post you've posted has to do with people as hopeless potheads.” - Ed

Ed your term “hopeless potheads” is not something I have said is it?

I have used the term “pothead” and I did in fact give this definition above as to what I mean by it.

pothead [ˈpɒtˌhɛd]
n
(Law / Recreational Drugs) Slang a habitual user of cannabis.

I have not said “helpless potheads”. Which would mean potheads that have no hope are despairing despondent, bleak or incurable.

hope·less (hpls)
adj.
1. Having no hope; despairing. See Synonyms at despondent.
2. Offering no hope; bleak.
3. Incurable.
4. Having no possibility of solution; impossible.

An habitual user of cannabis is not necessarily any of those things at all.

An habitual user of cannabis is to me someone who takes then themselves away from reality to a degree on a regular basis using pot. Thus pot-head fits the bill.

Now one has to read in the context of the subject we are speaking about.

The subject is:

“Uruguay legalizes marijuana use”

“Pretty interesting experiment. I wonder what the international repercussions will be?”

My concerns are that governments could use the very same legal arguments used by the Uruguay government in deciding to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana, to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of designer drugs.
Which could lead to the frightful world that Huxley went on about. By giving the authorities our blessings to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of a drug which distorts reality, seems to me, to invite them to do just to do just that.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Slang a habitual user of cannabis"

What is the slang for a habitual user of alcohol? drunk?

habitual means, what: daily.

So...if you have a pint of beer once a day, that certainly makes you habitual. So I guess you are a drunk if you have a daily pint.

How long have you been a drunk Tommy?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't drink alcohol at all Slide.

Your question "How long have you been a drunk Tommy?" makes me wonder how long you will remain an idiot.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 11:40, tommy wrote:
“I can't see where you're not. Every post you've posted has to do with people as hopeless potheads.” - Ed

Ed your term “hopeless potheads” is not something I have said is it?

I have used the term “pothead” and I did in fact give this definition above as to what I mean by it.

pothead [ˈpɒtˌhɛd]
n
(Law / Recreational Drugs) Slang a habitual user of cannabis.

I have not said “helpless potheads”. Which would mean potheads that have no hope are despairing despondent, bleak or incurable.

hope·less (hpls)
adj.
1. Having no hope; despairing. See Synonyms at despondent.
2. Offering no hope; bleak.
3. Incurable.
4. Having no possibility of solution; impossible.

An habitual user of cannabis is not necessarily any of those things at all.

An habitual user of cannabis is to me someone who takes then themselves away from reality to a degree on a regular basis using pot. Thus pot-head fits the bill.

Now one has to read in the context of the subject we are speaking about.

The subject is:

“Uruguay legalizes marijuana use”

“Pretty interesting experiment. I wonder what the international repercussions will be?”

My concerns are that governments could use the very same legal arguments used by the Uruguay government in deciding to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of marijuana, to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of designer drugs.
Which could lead to the frightful world that Huxley went on about. By giving the authorities our blessings to go into the production, distribution, sale and use of a drug which distorts reality, seems to me, to invite them to do just to do just that.

Nice post, Tommy.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Your question "How long have you been a drunk Tommy?" makes me wonder how long you will remain an idiot."

why?

If all pot smokers are "potheads" why wouldn't all those who drink be drunks? Please explain?

So what you are saying is that all you are is an enabler of drunks, is that right?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He didn't say all pot smokers are potheads; only the habitual ones.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL