We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 23:09, tommy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 21:01, tommy wrote:
I would say that I am a sharp and the potheads and drunks are the flats. That which is sharp is bright and that which is flat is dull. Which is why I bought a bar in the Jewellery Quarter to get them with the gold around the game.

As you go through life, make this your goal: Keep your eye on the doughnut and not on the hole.


Ed. Consider that.


That's not an answer to my question. There are people who drink alcohol and are not in any way shape or form "drunks." Do you believe that people can use marijuana recreationally without being "potheads?" Simple answer, yes or no?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 11:04, landmark wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I thought it might be possible that smoking might give you an edge in terms of sussing out an opponent's intentions. Clearly, it would make your bridge game worse, but I thought perhaps there could be a difference with poker, due to the nature of the game.


Marijuana is a depressant, same as alcohol. Would drinking make you a better poker player? I don't think so.

I don't believe Marijuana has any real value except as a relaxant, similar to alcohol.

I don't use either one myself. I got "high" once and didn't care for it. I got drunk a couple of times and came to the conclusion that I'm not a fun person when I'm drunk. So I don't do that either. If I'm going out, I may have "a" beer (or even "a" drink) but that's my limit.

As far as recreational use of drugs being good for the creative mind. While some people may believe it breaks down the walls blocking their imagination and giving them more free reign. I'm reminded of a quote by Isaac Asimov (talking about writers who claimed using LSD made them think better); "Dumping chemicals into my brain to make it work better would be the equivalent of taking a sledge hammer to my typewriter and expecting it to work better afterwards."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ed.

You assert “There are people who drink alcohol and are not in any way shape or form "drunks."

Well so you say Ed and I don't know if I disagree with that really or agree with it because what is “drunk” according to you?

I mean, there is an “effect” and the shape or form of it is illusion. Illusion, is a distortion reality.

Lets put it this way: You are going on a “trip” away from home. The further away you go from home the greater the illusion of your home becomes. Your home seems to be getting smaller and smaller the further you go away from it on your “trip”. After one pint or a joint you may not be far from home and so it is not much of an illusion. However you somewhat away from the reality on your “trip”. This caused by the drink or drug. You tell me in this state of mind are you drunk?

The more stoned you are the more fooled you are, you see. The more they drink or smoke of the drug the more foolish they act and the more distant they become and so on. That is the shape or form and way of the beast. It's the nature of it. An illusion in a word.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pretty sure I have never seen pot classified as a depressant.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think he means it dulls the mind.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 18:49, tommy wrote:
Ed.

You assert “There are people who drink alcohol and are not in any way shape or form "drunks."

Well so you say Ed and I don't know if I disagree with that really or agree with it because what is “drunk” according to you?

I mean, there is an “effect” and the shape or form of it is illusion. Illusion, is a distortion reality.

Lets put it this way: You are going on a “trip” away from home. The further away you go from home the greater the illusion of your home becomes. Your home seems to be getting smaller and smaller the further you go away from it on your “trip”. After one pint or a joint you may not be far from home and so it is not much of an illusion. However you somewhat away from the reality on your “trip”. This caused by the drink or drug. You tell me in this state of mind are you drunk?

The more stoned you are the more fooled you are, you see. The more they drink or smoke of the drug the more foolish they act and the more distant they become and so on. That is the shape or form and way of the beast. It's the nature of it. An illusion in a word.


Very deep.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 18:49, tommy wrote:
The more stoned you are the more fooled you are, you see. The more they drink or smoke of the drug the more foolish they act...


I see. Now I'm foolish. May as well hang this up. I can't continue this discussion. It keeps going to this level. I noticed the others have dropped off as well. OK then. I'll be back if I have anything on topic to add...

Doug
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Back on planet earth, weed stores open in Colorado in 3 days. "The additional revenue will initially amount to $67 million a year, with $27.5 million of it designated to build schools, state tax officials say."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/28/us/10-thin......pt=hp_t2
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"
There are the usual "legalize it" arguments about how pot is less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco and how legalization would save taxpayers $10 billion yearly on enforcing the prohibition.
Then there's the reality we all know: There will be a tax bonanza to public treasuries.
Retail weed will have a 25% state tax -- plus the usual state sales tax of 2.9% -- making recreational pot one of the most heavily taxed consumer products in Colorado. Some communities are adding even more taxes to the product."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The state's economy will benefit, but I doubt the schools will. It's typical B.S. to say that money is designated for the schools; then what happens is, in the next budget, they allocate less general fund money to the schools, because the pot/lottery/whatever money is taking care of them. So it's the general fund that benefits, getting spent on whatever pet projects the legislators want.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
A fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact is a delusion.
The truth can hurt though and so it is only natural to run away from it if it does.

Cannabis effects how your brain works. It can make you feel very anxious and even paranoid, it can make it difficult for you to concentrate and learn, make your memory worse and make you feel less motivated. So how is it going to help in schooling when students are on it on planet Earth?


“A new federal report shows that the percentage of American high school students who smoke marijuana is slowly rising, while the use of alcohol and almost every other drug is falling.
The report raises concerns that the relaxation of restrictions on marijuana, which can now be sold legally in 20 states and the District of Columbia, has been influencing use of the drug among teenagers. Health officials are concerned by the steady increase and point to what they say is a growing body of evidence that adolescent brains, which are still developing, are susceptible to subtle changes caused by marijuana.”

Etcetera

“One expert who was not involved in the study, Dr. Sanjiv Kumra, the director of the division of child and adolescent psychiatry at the University of Minnesota, said it was likely that more teenagers would misuse marijuana in the coming years. And that is concerning because adolescence is “a particularly susceptible period of ongoing brain development,” he said.

“There is this idea that cannabis is a harmless drug,” he added, “and these findings question that.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/18......ns/?_r=0
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Thank you Tommy for writing long posts. They are much easier to skip over and ignore.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Research has shown that marijuana's negative effects on attention, memory, and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.

Consequently, someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time."


http://www.drugabuse.gov


and twice on Sundays?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-29 10:03, tommy wrote:
...someone who smokes marijuana daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level most or all of the time.


Well then...d'uhhh, I guess, hyuk hyuk...I'm at a reduced intellectual level. No cognitive reasoning at all...I'll just walk into this wall...>THUMP<. Hee hee! Tommy actually believes this. Fine he has a right to. He doesn't smoke weed or drink. He feels superior. That's OK! I accept that.

Now then, I guess I'll curl up into a "drug induced" fetal position now. ROFLMFAO!!! Smile

Doug
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Your in good company Doug:

Regular weed smokers:
Nobel Prize winning physicist Richard Feynman quite drinking because he believed it would effect his ability to think. No so weed, of which he smoked regularly.
Carl Sagan
Louis Armstrong often said that his long career was due to the fact that he smoked weed instead of drinking.


Of course Tommy is superior to all these folks. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
No Doug, your intellectual level could be still higher than mine: It depends on what your reduced intellectual level has been reduced from and by how much. I might have the advantage on Sundays perhaps. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Funny how the Sagan essay that I linked to earlier has been virtually ignored by the anti-pot crowd here. Don't blame them really- I wouldn't want to argue with Sagan either.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
The anti-pot crowd here? The potheads are all welcome to my home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4dhj3So0SA
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uruguay legalizes marijuana use (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL