The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you think we are still capable of original thought? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I just had one! (An original thought). But I'm not so sure humanity is ready to hear my idea. So I'll wait a few years before sharing it.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 16:34, satellite23 wrote:
Time travel and space travel (not like outer space, but more like if I were to disappear and reappear across the room an instant later)

I think those will be possible within a reasonable amount of time, but probably not this century.

I agree. But those aren't exactly examples of original thoughts. Both time travel and teleportation are ideas that have been around for a long time. They just haven't been realized yet. (Although, what amounts to teleportation takes place at the quantum level.)
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Teleportation! Thank you for reminding me of what that was called. I couldn't remember for the life of me.

I was watching The Prestige the other night, that's why I was thinking of teleportation.

Time travel in and of itself may not be original, but the amount of information we learn from the past/future could be.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 19:53, Mary Mowder wrote:
There may be original thought all the time which is summarily dismissed as ridiculous.

Original thought may not thinking I'd welcome but I'm sure tired of some of the old ways of thinking.

Even if there is original positive thought, it tends to take #s of people in agreement to bring about change.

We've done a lot (good or bad) with synthesis. Not new but new combinations that can add up to something new.

-Mary Mowder

My point exactly!

"Throg! Gor paints mastodons and antelope on his cave. All you paint is your hand! Can't you mix it up a little? Maybe we should bring a plant inside..."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
To the OP: No, you cannot discover sonmething new about yourself that fundamentally changes anything.

Now, if you need to learn something that matters, learn something about everyone else.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quite the contrary.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
You all have got windows brain chip implants, which are always crashing. Your original thoughts come from head office.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1139 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Don't know ... what do you think?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 13:46, wulfiesmith wrote:
Don't know ... what do you think?

POTYn.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you think we are still capable of original thought? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL