The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review - Iain Dunford's Trident (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Product: Trident - Iain Dunford

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kingdom-mawadi/......458.html

I was one of the very fortunate few to get their hands on an early preview of this. The new ebook is very well produced, easy to follow - and offers a few ideas to get you off and running. As both a latecomer to the world of billet indices (missing out on every single one of Looch's releases), and a fan of Iain's work, I was very excited to check this out. I'm also a big fan of mentalism arts and crafts, so this ticked all of the boxes!

What It Is:

A DIY billet index capable of holding up to 12 billets (though the book explains how to get as many as 48 - but my feeble mind could NEVER keep track of that). When Iain says "if you can cut in a straight line" you can make it, he's not kidding. The book offers step-by-step instructions, with illustrations - making it easy to construct. You'll be up and indexing in no time. The first one took about 15 minutes to read and build on my own - since then, I've built a few more, and the prep work can be done in about 5 minutes, with the only time consuming part being waiting for your glue to set.

Once it's set, your in business. The book covers handling, and how to retrieve your billets. The design, while simple, is incredibly intuitive. I'm not as experienced in using an index as many other performers out there, and I found it really easy to work with. No fumbling or unsightly games of pocket pool! Retrieving the necessary billet is easy to do. The dirty work takes just a few seconds, and you're set. Our hands and fingers are instinctively prepared for the process, so there's no real learning curve. Once you know where each billet is, getting to it becomes second nature.

An added bonus for the Trident, as that it also doubles as a PW board (not sure just how freely I can/should speak in public). I have used it for this function quite sparingly (I'm just not very good at it, in general), but the results I've had are better than any other option I've explored in the past. The credit card trident (the one I made) makes it even stronger for this.

I've used the index solely in the pocket (either front pants, or sometimes inside jacket). Location makes no difference - it's just as easy to get it from either position. I've also been working on a no-pocket version that I'm really excited about. It's something I've tried to work up for some time, and Iain's trident design looks like it might be the perfect solution for it.

The original instructions were written for using business cards to create the index - and while it works very well (I still have the original I made up), I would highly recommend upgrading to plastic credit/gift cards. The construction is incredibly sturdy, and the billets are held firmly in place, with no chance to possibly get jostled out of position. One bit of advice, from my own experience - Iain recommends gorilla glue for construction. I would, personally, advise against using gorilla glue with credit/gift cards. Gorilla glue expands (a lot) when it dries, and it doesn't play well with plastic. As it's not as porous as paper, it didn't form as strong a bond as I would have liked, and the expansion meant a lot of cleanup. I highly recommend getting Loctite plastic epoxy (or any plastic epoxy) for the plastic cards. Works perfectly, and no mess.

Since putting it together, the Trident has, literally, not left my pockets. For my own purposes, I only use my 8 billet model. I have a 12 and 24 model, as well - but 8 is enough (let's see how many remember that reference!) for me. I've been using and developing a few routines with it, one of which is quickly becoming a staple in my closeup work. It's truly a fantastic piece of kit - and I can't recommend it enough.

Easy to make, easy to use - sturdy, reliable - and the price is a steal. You can't go wrong with it. Definitely recommended!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6164 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'm a fan of Ian's work. I'm actually not into billet indexes, but I'm sure if it's coming from Ian it must be good. He's got a real tricky mind.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
I bought this based on Iain's forum signature message, which describes it as "a b*ll** in***".

Imagine my disappointment when I found it was not an intro to the graceful art of ballet. In fact it contains barely any reference to dancing, tights or tutus at all.

Not recommended.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I was under the impression it was an euphamism. I still expect saucy snaps for my dorrar.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thank you gents...

to be open about a few things...

this was originally released in the beautiful lie booklet, its been off the market for a couple of years now...there is very little new added to this, apart from the construction instructions that I have re-written, and added new graphics to it...i've added new themes to show in a brief way, why I picked 12, and how there's some interesting things that come in dozens...

it was why I asked for some play-testers...in all of the reviews of the booklet originally, no one ever mentioned the ind** or the b*ll** envelope...and I was curious! I didn't know if it was cos people thought it was rubbish, it was overlooked, or something else...or if it was one of those "worked for me" things...

so I re-wrote it, and asked for some volunteers...if the feedback had been negative I would have left it alone..but it wasn't...and I am a firm supporter of old-school methodologies...and I had always been quite proud of the device...so I renamed it (i think it was called the cheapskate mentalist's device #1 originally) and reinvigorated it...

I didn't want to give out a whole booklet of routines, because there's lots already out there (you do get two, and a basic star sign one) and this was purely about the tool, rather than the routining...

I also wanted to pass it under the gaze of bob cassidy too, just to make sure no re-invention had taken place, and to see what a master bill** user would make of it...he said:

"This is an excellent DIY index and I highly recommend it. It is easier to make than the Annemann or Corinda indices and is easily customizable. The fact that the back of the index also can double as a p****t wr****g desk makes this an especially versatile device."

I also feel the look and feel of the booklet is attractive, and well explained...but I am biased...no ecopies will exist (apart from those sent to trusted fiends and friends) - though I guess you can get the original booklet as an illegal download if you don't fancy paying for this edition...

thanks for the kind words and review, gents!
"
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
In all honesty, Iain could change his persona and preach being 'the real deal' get some hype behind him, and sell his stuff for five times What he asks. It IS that good.It's to his credit (and my bank balance) that he's the Nice guy he is.Maybe I'm Just feeling the Christmas spirit. He's still a terrible aunt Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Just hit the buy button on lulu. looking forward to getting this, I have a routine that demands a decent billet index. I have one already and made a half arse attempt at making one as per Corinda/Anneman, but they have not suited me yet. I'll probably make two if they are easy to construct.

I've enjoyed reading some of Iains thinking that he has provided in various books and posts (I think it was you Iain who had a routine idea for the naked book test that I really liked involving texting) so I thought what the hey, I'm pretty confident this will be good Smile

regards,

Sea
I love post its Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2212 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I too pressed the buy button on this. I'm a great fan of Iain's thinking and innovative approaches.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bless all of your cotton socks, both individually and collectively...

I have tried to make the instructions as clear as possible...so don't be annoyed that I spent a single page on each step, along with a diagram of how it should look at each stage (along with where to 'construct' each level)...i just wanted it as clear and as crisp as possible...there's plenty of white space...

there's 2.5 routines included, one is just the germ of an idea, and a lead in to a reading - I know not everyone gives them, hence its only 0.5...the focus is on the tool itself, and its applications...

and hopefully to provoke your own creativity to do "stuff" with it...as it can be used for other things too...

I know someone who has upscaled it all and used it attached to the back of a chair...
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1427 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Very cool, another book to add to the must buy list.

Recall (as a teenager) reading about indexes in 13 Steps and thinking how difficult it looked. This book seems to have solved that problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review - Iain Dunford's Trident (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL