The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to create a pdf instant download (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Wow, learn something new every day.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
With password protecting a pdf(I can probably figure that out) how would you set up the password, would you give people a password when they download it? would you give each person their own code? Can you give me anymore information on how Lee Earle set it up.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 20:29, magicman344 wrote:
Wow, learn something new every day.

Same here! Thanks for enlightening me!

Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 20:31, magicman344 wrote:
With password protecting a pdf(I can probably figure that out) how would you set up the password, would you give people a password when they download it? would you give each person their own code? Can you give me anymore information on how Lee Earle set it up.

I don't know how Lee Earle set it up but
You can setup password protection in different ways.
You can restrict printing, copying & pasting, reading, etc.
I don't know about all PDF creation programs.
I use Adobe's Acrobat. It's easy to do with Acrobat. If you need help, PM me.
It's the best of all the programs with the most features and security features. But expensive.

I would think that the most secure method is that each customer gets their own individual password.
Of course you would have to keep track of the customer's name & passwords assigned to them.
If a copy is distributed on the Internet, you will know who the customer was by looking at the password.
Also make it "Read Only".
The time involved in doing this may be a burden if you sell many copies.
I should also mention that there is no 100% security method.
Someone will always figure it out but why make it easy for them.
Good luck.
Ihor
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
We use Acrobat at the office. Honestly, I think it's been "improved" to the point that it's way too cumbersome.

Here at home, I use Corel PDF Fusion. I can only speak for myself, but I like it. It's got many of the features and tools that Acrobat does at a fraction of the cost. You should at least investigate it if you need to do more than save a doc as as PDF.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4100140

Joe Libby
San Antonio TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1129 Posts

Profile of Chris
I think password protecting a PDF makes little sense. For one, it is pretty easy to remove the password, but more importantly put yourself in the shoes of somebody who has many magic PDFs. Imagine you would have to remember a different password for each and every of your ebooks. And even if you could remember them or write them down somewhere, having to type in the password every time you want to open the book is a real pain. Simply put, it is not customer friendly.

That is the problem with many protection schemes. The small hurdles you put in front of pirates really hurt the majority of your honest customers. If you want my recommendation, don't do it. Provide a great service and great value, then folks will come and buy your products.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Chris,
I understand your reasoning that it is inconvenient for the customer but it is not as bad as you made it sound.

First, it is only easy to remove the password if you know how.
Sure, it can be Googled but it is an effort except for the computer savvy.
Brain surgery is easy, if you're a brain surgeon. Casual computer users will have to make an effort.
First of all the "pirate" needs to have a copy of the PDF file and that particular file is unique to the buyer because of the unique password.
And that can be easily traced if it is on a file sharing website via the password.

Also, a password can be, for example, the first 3 letters of your last name + your zip code.
A pop up window can remind the customer of this when they open the PDF.
This can be computer generated from the shipping address so that it is minimal effort on the sellers part..

I don't think using a password will a big effort on the customer's part.
How many times per day will they be opening the EBook?

Sorry for the rambling but I got carried away. I just had too much wine.
My point is,
Preventing copying and piracy will generate more sales and possibly keep costs down for the buyer and more profit for the distributor.
Regards,
Ihor
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I tend to agree with the idea that requiring a password is a pain. I personally wouldn't want to purchase a file that had restrictions (printing, or opening), especially if I had to remember a password? Passwords are for member websites and secret clubs, not magic effects that you've legally purchased. Customers shouldn't be made to deal with that.

Further, requiring a password won't make it easy to trace on file-sharing programs because pdf password encryption is easily cracked so someone could distribute it with a cracked "master" password. Then how will you trace it?

Of course, all of this assumes the file is popular enough that so many people people are trying to upload it to torrent sites. I'm sorry, but magic-themed PDF downloads are NOT a hugely popular file to be uploaded to file-sharing websites...nowhere near as big as video files, dvd rips, etc. This doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means it shouldn't be a huge worry, in my opinion, because PDF is not the prefered format for marketing magic effects.

What was the last big magic effect that you heard of that was a PDF instant download?

Is PDF really the best format for this effect? For any effect?

Just some thoughts!
- Kevin
LeeEarle
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of LeeEarle
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 20:31, magicman344 wrote:

I used the purchaser's name as the password, plus put a distinct but almost invisible watermark on every page with the person's name. That tends to discourage the file showing up on torrent sites. I have also been known to 'salt' the text with information unique to a particular transaction for later identification if copies show up, similar to the technique used when renting a mail list; the owners include a few phony addresses that will redirect to the list owners so if you use the list a second time, they will get the mail too - and then you get a bill.

I am fortunate to be able to use Adobe Acrobat (the top o' the line for PDFs) which has an abundance of features not found in other 'create a PDF' software or Adobe InDesign (a professional page layout application) which has the capability built in. Still, many text or consumer level layout apps will do what you require: When you brew the PDF you will be requested by the software to set your levels of resolution (screen resolution, medium resolution for home printing, or 'print' quality in high definition), protection (print only, no print, copy text, no copy text, assistive devices, etc.) and a couple levels of passwords. The 'master' password is one I use for ALL my PDF releases and will remain closely held. The 'open the document' password is the purchaser's name which lets him read the document but still be restricted to the protection levels set by the Master password.

There is a PDF attached which is a screenshot of the dialog box with all the choices. It's password protected and watermarked. Your password to open is magicman344 ;-)

Hope this helps.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I don't see an attachment. Is it attached and I don't see it or maybe did it get removed?
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 04:36, dearwiseone wrote:
I tend to agree with the idea that requiring a password is a pain. I personally wouldn't want to purchase a file that had restrictions (printing, or opening), especially if I had to remember a password? Passwords are for member websites and secret clubs, not magic effects that you've legally purchased. Customers shouldn't be made to deal with that.

Further, requiring a password won't make it easy to trace on file-sharing programs because pdf password encryption is easily cracked so someone could distribute it with a cracked "master" password. Then how will you trace it?

Of course, all of this assumes the file is popular enough that so many people people are trying to upload it to torrent sites. I'm sorry, but magic-themed PDF downloads are NOT a hugely popular file to be uploaded to file-sharing websites...nowhere near as big as video files, dvd rips, etc. This doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means it shouldn't be a huge worry, in my opinion, because PDF is not the prefered format for marketing magic effects.

What was the last big magic effect that you heard of that was a PDF instant download?

Is PDF really the best format for this effect? For any effect?

Just some thoughts!
- Kevin

I prefer pdfs because I can print them out and then no longer need a computer to look at it, as opposed to a DVD. However, DVDs are sometimes easier to understand. I think a pdf download with a short movie would be the best.

with the password, I can see your point, but LeeEarle has a convincing argument. I would prefer LeeEarle's methods if I can figure out how he did it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22838 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Watermarks can be removed with the new PDF software being sold today. There is just no totally secure way to have a document not be passed around. I really think, as most people are not scanning and PDF creation knowledgeable that the printed format would be safer.

There are free PDF creation software on the Internet, most work like a printer, just print your document and it is saved in PDF form. Really, no need to spend a lot of money if you are not going to be using it all the time.

I use Nuance PaperPort 12, it can be purchased for a heavy price, or it can be gotten with a basic WordPerfect OEM suite. I have Adobe Acrobat, but it is very limited, all editing of videos, and pictures has to be edited outside of Acrobat program in the even more expensive video and photo software programs by Adobe.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
If you're in the business of selling PDF documents and need to protect them,
Acrobat is the only way to go.
It's more expensive but it has the most features and best protection.
If you're a casual user, then you probably don't need the best and you can get it cheaper or for free elsewhere.
But if it's used in your business, there's nothing to compare to it.
It does multimedia as well.
A PDF document is an Adobe creation. As is Acrobat.
Here's a link to a comparison of the top PDF creation programs.

http://convert-pdf-software-review.toptenreviews.com
Ihor
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Do you really think I need to protect them? I don't think that my trick will be popular enough for it to appear on file-sharing sites. It seems like too much trouble for a needless cause.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Magicman,
I think you're right. I'd just release it!

Good luck!
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to create a pdf instant download (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL