The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » When is a client obligated to tip? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2299 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
^Good point, Karen.
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 16:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
People did not get rich by not tipping.

Here is a hint working with rich people. Take it for what it is worth. It is after all free advice.

People got rich by KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE WORTH! Get the point? Know your value. Know what to charge. Why SHOULD they pay more if they agreed to whatever and then get called names when they don't pay more? How stupid! It is appalling, Would you want a server or bartender complaining about how much you tip?

Yes it is a story of lots of work on your part. It comes with the job. Curtis is right a clause for what your extra time costs.

We agree Danny. As I said, I almost never expect a tip, because like you said, I do charge what I think I’m worth. This was just an extreme case where it really would have been nice to get a little extra for my trouble.

For the record, I never called my client names. I really wasn’t even angry. I kept my word, he kept his. Case closed. And I will probably be invited back next year. So, looking at the big picture the evening was a success.

By the way, I didn’t see the humor in this until now. Isn’t it interesting that Santa cancelled because of snow but the magician was able to make it?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 08:58, Ken Northridge wrote:
Isn’t it interesting that Santa cancelled because of snow but the magician was able to make it?

It's times like these that the real Santa really appreciates his Rudolph!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3925 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I can appreciate how hard it was to make this booking...and how far you had to extend yourself to make it happen. It's a great story of hard work and persistence.

The question is "When is a client obligated to tip?"

Answer: never. It's true that you went to great lengths to make the show happen. It's also true that you were paid the rate you'd been contracted for. Maybe it's because most of my clients are corporate and the payment amounts are predetermined and prepaid -- but I never expect a tip.

I do think you are to be commended for your integrity, Ken. Good work.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-16 15:10, satirest wrote:
Methinks you should ask the nice moderators to delete this thread. You are too nice a person to lose a potential work because of this.

This thought occurred to me as well, but a google search did lead me here whatsoever.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2299 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 17:46, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 15:10, satirest wrote:
Methinks you should ask the nice moderators to delete this thread. You are too nice a person to lose a potential work because of this.

This thought occurred to me as well, but a google search did lead me here whatsoever.

I said nothing derogatory about the the client. This was all about my perception. My client was a very nice man... and a very successful man! I'm the one who had the emotional, irrational thoughts about extra money. Besides, he has my card, he will be calling ME, not goggling other magicians!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
NeverGrowUpMagic
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of NeverGrowUpMagic
I feel blessed when I receive a tip... but never feel the client is obligated to give me a tip.

stephen
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-16 20:25, Ken Northridge wrote:
Yes, I was wrong for being human and hoping for a tip, but not wrong for giving my client 100% satisfaction!

Which is why I said "the thought occurred to me" , but did not feel the need to post my thought. We should all be so lucky to have as little to hide from as Ken does. That is the lesson I take from this thread. Run your business beyond reproach, and you don't have to run.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Ken,
I understand how frustrating those times can be. I've gone above and beyond several times and not received a tip. I never expect a tip though. I don't go above and beyond for tips. I go above and beyond so that clients like me and book me again, and recommend me to friends. No client has ever tipped the full price of a show, so it makes more sense financially to do it for the reason of repeat business, not a measly (in comparison) 20% or 30% tip I might get.

Remember, not everyone thinks that magicians should be tipped. As performers, we're used to it, but the public may not be. My dad was surprised when I told him I got tips. He said "You're telling me people actually tip magicians!" He never would have thought to tip magicians. Waiters making $2/hr - YES! But magicians? The thought never crossed his mind.

I personally don't usually tip people in the service industry. A locksmith came out to my home a few months ago. I have no idea how bad the roads were, what effort it took to get here, or if he almost got lost. I don't know. But I also don't care. He came, he performed the agreed upon service, I was very happy with it, I paid the bill (the amount I had been quoted), and he left. Why would he deserve a tip? Why would I tip him?

If you find yourself feeling under-appreciated often, or feeling like you deserve tips more often, simply "build them in" to your fee by raising rates! I did that and have never regretted it.

Hope this helps!
- Kevin
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I never expect a tip, but I also ask a lot of questions before I quote a price.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2013-12-31 14:55, iwillfoolu wrote:
I never expect a tip, but I also ask a lot of questions before I quote a price.

Joey D

Me too..
Self concept is destiny..
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 09:04, Ken Northridge wrote:

So, when is a client obligated to tip?

Whenever they want to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » When is a client obligated to tip? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL