The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Art of Mentalism by Robert Cassidy (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Well, I finally was able to acquire the 2002 Second Printing of this Collectors Workshop publication. 
what a fine book it is. 
My typing skills on this smartphone prevent me from giving a long detailed review, but I will say that the 
writing is excellent, the descriptions are clear, and the material is miraculous. 
I will never part with this book. 
I am still working through the material and will be for years to come. 
Simply wonderful.
Kevin Blake
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kevin Blake
May I ask where you happened across the book?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I purchased it via private sale
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
If he is referencing Bob Cassidy's "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" H & R Magic Books has this in stock for $ 45.00. If this is not the same book he is talking about please disregard my post. I have never hear of the above mentioned book posted.

Here is a Direct Link for the book: The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy:

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......_id=9309

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
"The Art of Mentalism" was my first hard cover book and was released in 1982. It is no longer in print. My later books refined and expanded upon what I wrote way back then.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Bob are the hardback and the comb bound "The Art of Mentalism" essentially the same? I have the comb bound Art of Mentalism and Art of Mentalism 2.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The comb bound version of The Art of Mentalism was the original book. The contents are the same as the edition later published by Collector's Workshop. (The comb bound version - if it's an original- is VERY rare. Only around two hundred were printed.)

If you have both the Art of Mentalism AND the Art of Mentalism 2 combined in a single volume, it is a knockoff, as they were not released at the same time.

Best-

Bob
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Bob, thank you for the information. Mine are two separate books and I believe them to be originals. The Art of Mentlalism has a blue cover has a plastic sheet in front of it. It is signed "For Gene Grant Bob Cassidy". the art of mentalism 2 has a tan cover but isn't signed. I spelled the title without caps as that is how it is on the cover of the book. The inside title page has it in all caps.

Dan
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yep. Those are originals. I even remember signing that one to Gene. I was sad to hear that he passed away last January.

Bob
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Good to know. It has pencil annotations on the Table of Contents and throughout the book.

~ Dan
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Gene was a great creator. As "Phantini" he released some great material to the fraternity and many of his contributions can be found in the pages of Bascom Jones's "Magick. He was an early member of the Psychic Entertainers Association and I met him at one of our Meetings of the Mind.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
What exactly is the difference between The Art of Mentalism and The Art of Mentalism 2? I've heard of #2 being referred to by name only, not content, but at the same time I've also heard that Cassidy never wrote AND "never will write a part 2" to The Art of Mentalism.

If The Art of Mentalism was released in '82, when was the second one released? And was the second one a book or a booklet/pamphlet?

I own The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2: Fundamentals, haven't gotten around to it all yet, but I believe there to be a chapter titled Art of Mentalism 3. (Could I be wrong about this?)

I do not own The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 1 (yet), but I also believe it to have a chapter or essay titled Art of Mentalism 2. If this is the case, would this be the same release as The Art of Mentalism 2 (book/booklet)?

Also, what does The Art of Mentalism ('82) contain? The first volume of Artful Mentalism Of Bob Cassidy has the Principia writings, does The Art of Mentalism include Pseudo-Mentally Yours or Test Conditions?

Gumar-Oz-Dubar
I write and edit text.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-27 07:03, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
... I've also heard that Cassidy never wrote AND "never will write a part 2" to The Art of Mentalism.

Where did you hear that?

The Art of Mentalism 2 was released as a comb-bound physical book in the mid 90's and was later included in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy." It is, in essence, an analysis and explanation of my entire basic act.

The Art of Mentalism 3 was originally released as an ebook and can be found in my new hardcover "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Volume 2: Fundamentals."

"The Art of Mentalism" did not contain "PseudoMentally Yours" or "Test Conditions." They were released separately. The AoM included my first analyses of Major/Minor effects, Audience Readings, my telephone book test, the Atlas Test, the Three Envelope Test, the Two Envelope Test (aka "The White Dwarf," Russian Roulette (with pistols), the blindfold drive and the Venetian Blindfold, a pendulum card effect, one of the first effects with an NLP theme, an ESP card effect and an essay on the Ethics of Mentalism.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-27 08:41, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
... I've also heard that Cassidy never wrote AND "never will write a part 2" to The Art of Mentalism.

Where did you hear that?

The Art of Mentalism 2 was released as a comb-bound physical book in the mid 90's and was later included in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy." It is, in essence, an analysis and explanation of my entire basic act.

The Art of Mentalism 3 was originally released as an ebook and can be found in my new hardcover "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Volume 2: Fundamentals."

"The Art of Mentalism" did not contain "PseudoMentally Yours" or "Test Conditions." They were released separately. The AoM included my first analyses of Major/Minor effects, Audience Readings, my telephone book test, the Atlas Test, the Three Envelope Test, the Two Envelope Test (aka "The White Dwarf," Russian Roulette (with pistols), the blindfold drive and the Venetian Blindfold, a pendulum card effect, one of the first effects with an NLP theme, an ESP card effect and an essay on the Ethics of Mentalism.

Thank you so much Mr. Cassidy (may I call you Bob in the future?) for answering my questions. Truly insightful and I really wish that AoM wasn't out of print. Anyway, to your question, I suppose I must've been mistaken, but I could have sworn I read posts (when I was a lurker, prior to signing up) from YOU, that said you never had any plans to write another AoM or make AoM a series. Obviously since you've written 3 so far, I was mistaken, perhaps thinking of something/someone else, or perhaps I misunderstood the posts I read from you, or even still, maybe I just 'gave myself that idea' for some reason due to confusion over lack of knowledge between AoM and the AMoBC series.

I do thank you for answering my inquiries though. I know that I'm new here, so I appreciate you giving me detailed info on something of which I was confused and you are knowledgeable.

Gumar-Oz-Dubar
I write and edit text.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Sure you can call me Bob. It's my name, after all.

Since the Art of Mentalism 2 was released before the Magic Café even existed, it's not likely that I would have posted here that I wasn't going to write it. Smile

Best-

Bob
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-27 09:58, mastermindreader wrote:
Sure you can call me Bob. It's my name, after all.

Since the Art of Mentalism 2 was released before the Magic Café even existed, it's not likely that I would have posted here that I wasn't going to write it. Smile

Best-

Bob

Valid points, Bob. Forgive my confusion.

Be well
I write and edit text.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2013, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Where did you hear that?

A while back I was doing some research on what was contained in each of Bob's books (I was initially confusing Artful Mentalism with Art of Mentalism). Now that I have both Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy books, I just wanted to help out anyone else who may have had some of the same questions that I did. Please let me know if I have anything stated incorrectly.

The Art of Mentalism (1983) (I don't yet have this so I am just copying from Bob's post above)

Major/Minor effects
Audience Readings
Bob's telephone book test
The Atlas Test
The Three Envelope Test
The Two Envelope Test (aka "The White Dwarf," Russian Roulette (with pistols)
The blindfold drive and the Venetian Blindfold
A pendulum card effect
One of the first effects with an NLP theme
An ESP card effect
An essay on the Ethics of Mentalism

---

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy (2004)

The Art of Mentalism 2 (Parts 6 of Bob Cassidy's Mentalism)
- Part 1
An Overview of the Act
The Logic of the Program
- Part 2
Performance Details
The Psychological Forces
The Book Test
The Three Envelope Test
Card Memory

The Pricipia Mentalia (Principiums 1-28, X) (Parts 2-5 of Bob Cassidy's Mentalism)

Theories and Methods for the Practical Psychic

Strange Impressions

But Stranger Still

---

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals (2013)

Fundamentals
21st Century Q&A
One Man Billet Routines
Staging It
Working It
Universe
Side Effects
Intuitively Yours
The Art of Mentalism 3
A Journey Through the Fourth Dimension
Index of Effects (Alphabetical)
Index of Effects (Categorical)
Text Notes
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I have the CW green with gold embossed writing on the cover. I have deep gratitude for the information you shared in that book. If I do at all, that book taught me to think like a mentalist. It is one of my favorite books. It also was my first exposure to eye accessing cues. I went around experimenting with that routine all the time. That book just feels special (and it is). It opened a new world to me.

Thanks Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Thank you! You make me glad I wrote it.

Bob
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2013, mastermindreader wrote:

Bob

Well, you SHOULD have, darn it....

I just that a work such as this still has great legs....and will...

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Art of Mentalism by Robert Cassidy (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL