The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » My Christmas/Gospel Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Bard
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of The Bard
Hey all!

I am directing my church's carols service which is on Sunday 22nd Dec and in it, I am doing three illusions which all lead up to the gospel talk at the end.
I thought I'd share them on here.

My first illusion is about me trying to get to scissors on the other side of a screen so I can wrap some Christmas presents. I do the fun illusion where you reach in from one side and "your" arm comes out the other side. I grab scissors from a box but when I pull my arm back, I am holding a banana. Silly stuff like that. I won't go into the whole routine.

My second illusion is based on Fielding West's torn and restored newspaper routine, but I do it as torn and restored Christmas wrapping paper. As I couldn't get the scissors in my last illusion, I rip up a sheet of wrapping paper to try to make it small enough for my little gifts, but I rip too much and so resolve it by putting all the gifts in a bigger box and then restoring the wrapping paper and covering the whole box.

Now, neither of these are really gospel illustrations, but they are building on the theme which is "Christmas Unwrapped", and they lead up to the final illusion.

On stage the whole time there has been a huge present on stage. I come out with the Assistant pastor of my church (who has also been the MC) and indicate that I would love candy for Christmas. He offers me two presents - the giant beautiful one and a small one that has also been on stage the whole time unnoticed.
I naturally choose the bigger box, but after ripping it open, I only find a tiny stick of candy cane.
Disappointed, I am offered the smaller box, which I open begrudgingly. But in it, I find a huge 8 foot candy cane (see the appearing candy canes you can buy).

The analogy is made that sometimes the glitzy and impressive image of Christmas is rather hollow, but the message of the birth of Jesus - though it may be small and not that impressive - it contains the greatest gift of all.

So that's it!

After Christmas, I'll try to post a youtube link so you can see how they turned out!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
What I like is the significance of the candy cane as you also have an opportunity to explain a little about what it's supposed to represent. It surprises me how few people know the storey of the candy cane. I think you have a GREAT routine there and obviously a great message. Smile

Great idea!! Smile
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Vlad

Great idea! We do the "candy cane" hunt around this time of year at our AWANA club. Then one of the leaders tells the story of the candy cane. Each child then has a candy cane to bring home.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 06:41, Vlad_77 wrote:
What I like is the significance of the candy cane as you also have an opportunity to explain a little about what it's supposed to represent. It surprises me how few people know the storey of the candy cane. I think you have a GREAT routine there and obviously a great message. Smile

Great idea!! Smile

While I too really like the candy cane idea, the association of this form of confection with Christian (or any other religion for that matter) symbolism is yet another myth http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 02:02, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 06:41, Vlad_77 wrote:

Great idea!! Smile

While I too really like the candy cane idea, the association of this form of confection with Christian (or any other religion for that matter) symbolism is yet another myth http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

Payne,

I read the article and the article itself makes no definitive conclusion beyond the "FALSE" heading and then the conjecture which follows.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 04:54, Vlad_77 wrote:

Payne,

I read the article and the article itself makes no definitive conclusion beyond the "FALSE" heading and then the conjecture which follows.

Try these http://inventors.about.com/od/foodrelate......anes.htm

Quote:

There are many other legends and beliefs surrounding the humble candy cane. Many of them depict the candy cane as a secret symbol for Christianity used during the times when Christian were living under more oppressive circumstances. It was said that the cane was shaped like a "J" for Jesus. The red-and-white stripes represented Christ's blood and purity. The three red stripes symbolized the Holy Trinity. The hardness of the candy represented the Church's foundation on solid rock and the peppermint flavor represented the use of hyssop, an herb referred to in the Old Testament. There is no historical evidence to support these claims, quite the contrary, but they are lovely thoughts.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnew......ristian/

Quote:

And it turns out that white candy sticks were actually quite common at Christmas. One story says that they turned into J’s because one choirmaster bent them to look like a shepherd’s staff for children during the nativity scene. There’s no evidence that that’s true either, of course. Today I Found Out writes, ” Given that it has been a time honored church tradition to try to associate as many Christmas season traditions’ “origin stories” as possible with Christianity, usually just for symbolism’ sake but often getting morphed into being believed as fact, color me skeptical on this one.”

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/......e-story/

Quote:

But back to the topic at hand, there simply isn’t any evidence to support any of the above, though of course there’s nothing wrong with creating such symbolism around existing traditions. We just need to stop short of calling it fact, which sadly seems to not happen very often with these sorts of stories.

So unless you can provide some compelling, documentable evidence to the contrary we'll have to call this a myth. It's still a nice story though.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
And vise versa. There doesn't seem to be any hard facts that proves otherwise.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I just told the candy cane story in AWANA this past Wednesday, but started out by saying "the legend of the candy cane." I never knew whether it was actually true or not. Then at the end of the story I tell the clubbers "whether this story is just a legend or it's really true, there is one thing for sure, it has a great message about Jesus."
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Well said!!
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » My Christmas/Gospel Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL