The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Our new Christmas Card Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Hey, everyone! I thought we would post the video of our new Christmas Card trick here for everyone to see. We are hoping to have it out as a packet with other effects by the summer, but feel free to make them up yourself if you would like.

It's been a great tool for us to use on the street and after some of our performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXfdc-bYoB0
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
Very nice!
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What's the actual name for that packet trick? It looks very familiar, other than the routine.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
It is the same as color monte.

I use a routine from Arthur Stead using a smiley face dollar sign and a cross.

Joey will you have this at the FCM International this year?
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
They're nicely made cards but I would probably ditch the Bicycle backs for a solid color. I recognized the Color Monte influence which is why I was so surprised that the routine fell flat. There's a surprise at the very end of the routine but zero motivation for any of the actions leading up to that! The problem is with the patter. It tells a little story but gives no motivation for moving the cards around nor for the spectator to follow what's happening. It all seems pointless! In Color Monte, the spectator tries to follow the money card and so there's motivation for the magician to move the cards and for the spectator to pay attention... and be fooled by magic at each phase. The Christmas patter is missing that. Some adjustments to the patter to correct this oversight would make ALL the difference.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Thanks for the feedback. I can assure you that the routine doesn't fall flat. The reason for the effect is searching for the true meaning of Christmas. I didn't go into the entire routine as the video was initially only suppose to be sent to a select few who asked for it, mainly for the effect. It was posted here as an after thought. If we ever decide to release it, I'm sure we will put the full patter with it.

It is most definitely an adaption of color monte. I love that effect!

Chris, we weren't initially going to print them up, but we have gotten a lot of emails asking for it so we are hoping to have it by the convention. Not sure if we are going to be able to lecture this year though. Doing the late show every night and two of the evening programs we might not have to skip lecturing this year. But if we do get it printed, hopefully we will do it at one of the late late magics.

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I am with Rob on this. I thought it was color monte, but the routine seemed to have fallen flat. Perhaps it has to do with like you said, it's not the whole routine. But then, why post a poor representation of something just thrown together quickly without giving it some respect by showing it at it's best? Just saying.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Danny, thanks for the reply. I'm sure it is my fault for doing the video quickly without the full routine. Like I said the video was initially for a select group of people that had seen the effect at an event and just wanted to mainly see the handling and artwork to make up their own, not with my exact patter. After it was done, as an afterthought I thought I would just post it here for some people. Maybe I should have held out until I wanted to release it and record the full routine, but I wasn't sure if that would ever happen.

If I ever choose to release it I'm sure I will put my full routine with it. Or even if not, if I get the time, I may just record the entire patter for everyone as there seem to be some who want to see it and they can create their own cards.

jdstewart
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of jdstewart
I love the idea. There was a time in my not to distant past where everything I was coming up with was a take off on color monte. It is a great trick for layman. I would agree that the patter needs some work to motivate the movements. But I love the concept. But then I love color monte.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Color monte is great as its one of those routines that lends itself to so many ideas, whether it's a gospel trick, children's effect, or for a tradeshow.

FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
I was wondering if you decided to print them up or not? Would be great for a Christmas themed program, especially in Jumbo size.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Our new Christmas Card Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL