The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best invisible thread to buy? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Yeah. Or follow JoeJoe and make your own using a Sharpie. It's a worker!

Doug

Just to clarify: What is the difference between the web spinner and the super spinner with penny reel technology? Are they the essentially same and the super spinner is DIY or are they separate things altogether?

Thanks again
Smile
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Web Spinner is a sort of custom made medicine bottle with wax on the bottom. You store unstripped IT and use what you strip. Strip out what you need and the rest stays in the Spinner. The Super Spinner is a modified Sharpie. Note JoeJoe's YouTube channel. He laid it all out. Free of charge! Smile

Doug
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Is the function of the web-spinner greater the super spinner or do they do something similar?

Thanks!

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
It's a preference thing...
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

But they do similar things right?
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Pretty much.
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Well, thanks for all your help Dougini!
Smile
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Yeah. I checked out Joe Joe's YouTube channel and his super spinner series and it seems great. Thanks for your help! Any suggestions on buying magicians wax and invisible thread?

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I like Fearson's wax. I also like his Vectra thread. It is being discontinued, so...I still use my old YLI spool of wooley. If you can give it a bit of distance in subdued light, the X2 is GREAT! Remember, it's all about light and positioning. And you WILL get busted from time to time. I find I levitate stuff less now, and concentrate on animation. You know, PK stuff...

Doug
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Remember, it's all about light and positioning. And you WILL get busted from time to time.

I have been eyeing Loops by Yigal Mesika for a few years. I never bought them because they were expensive (about $10 for a pack of five) and tend to break when beginners are using and getting used to them. According to what I have read, loops are virtually impossible to see and can be used to produce a variety of levitation/PK effects. Do you know of any retailers that sell Loops wholesale or at a cheaper price? Or is there a cheaper and a suitable replacement for Loops? I'd be willing to invest in Loops, but my main concern is breaking many of them when I'm learning to use them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I don't do IET. But I hear The Legacy Thread is the best. Subdivided Studios sells it. You used to be able to buy a big reel for about $100. They also have a Loop tying system for sale there. That's about all I know...

Doug
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Thanks for your help....

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Looking over my iT collection...I seem to have every different kind. Really, the Y.L.i. Woolly Nylon is sufficient. I have no problem stripping it. But...if YOU hate the idea, Vectra comes ready to use in Thread Bullets. But, ya know...easy as Vectra, Vectra Virtuoso and Vectra X-2 are, it's just as easy for me to pop in a length of unstripped Y.L.I. in my Web Spinner. I'm lazy. I have 5, 1000 meter spools of Y.L.I., 1 each of blue, black, brown, purple and green. Waste of money. They ALL work. It's the LIGHTING that is critical.

Working with IT is hit or miss in most cases. The more people at different angles and positions, and SOMEONE will see it. Plus, I NEVER use an ITR. The hassle...I mean, I don't know about you, but both of my reels are in a drawer, broken threads. I HATE fixing that *&%#ing thing! If ya GOTTA have an ITR, get Fearson's Cobra Reel. It comes pre-loaded with Vectra line.

I do believe the secret to good thread work is the PRE SELL! Build up to it. Float a dollar bill at the Mall, ho-hum. Float a marshmallow at a campfire...watch 'em scatter! LOL! Tell a spooky story. Some really good shockers can be done after a ghost story movie or some such! An entire ROOM can be rigged (a la Rube Goldberg)! I've never used it for PK touches, but that is a REALLY good idea!

Need a Spirit Bell? Pay $500 plus for a premade one, or go to Goodwill and buy a small brass bell and stand. Hook up Virtuoso to the clapper and >Ding!< The thread breaks and all is clean! Virtuoso breaks VERY easily, and is good for such use.

How about fishing line? I've used it before. A better choice would be Sulky Smoke Invisible 232. It is REALLY shiny, so...keep that in mind.

Folks, IT is not my first choice when I am asked to perform magic. The "bust-factor" is too high. Your reputation can be made or broken (no pun intended) by whether you are successful in performing with IT or IET.

It is really too easy to think that floating a dollar or such is magical and enchanting. It IS...IF the theatrics is right. It is more work than one would think. Too many new people buy into this, "No practice! Perform immediately!" hype. IT is special. It needs attention to angles, lighting and distance. Wanna show 'em a TRICK? That's what CARDS are for! LOL! Smile

Doug
Drylid
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, TX
107 Posts

Profile of Drylid
I highly agree with the previous post. The best IT that I've used is YLI brand wooly nylon in black color. It was what we used in the magic shop and can support up to a 50c piece with no issue.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
In a sit down chat session with Eugene Burger once, one of the people asked him his thoughts on IT and floating objects... I remember his reply... When something floats, even though the people can’t see it, they say thread... animate something and they have no explanation. He then proceeded to do his haunted deck for us and an animated card from Hat... he asked if we could see the thread afterwards... a unison NO resounded. He showed us that he was using black carpet thread and with his inimitable chuckle, he said this won’t break.
AntwanTowner
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of AntwanTowner
I love using IT for animations and the haunted deck plus 2.0 just slays audiences. No fuss, just a bit of practice and good story is all it takes to entertain.
Gonzalo Mateos
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Gonzalo Mateos
Hi, I recomend you Arbey Plus, by Adolfo Masyebra, a spanish magician. They’re made of a high quality material, and the price is so cheap compared with the quality. In a limited time, they’re giving free shipping worldwide, and with the discount code: GONZALOMATEOS10, you will have a 10% discount in any product. Here is the website: https://www.arbeyproductions.com/collect......k-10-uds
Gonzalo Mateos
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Gonzalo Mateos
Hi, I recomend you Arbey Plus, by Adolfo Masyebra, a spanish magician. They’re made of a high quality material, and the price is so cheap compared with the quality. In a limited time, they’re giving free shipping worldwide, and with the discount code: GONZALOMATEOS10, you will have a 10% discount in any product. Here is the website: https://www.arbeyproductions.com/collect......k-10-uds
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best invisible thread to buy? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL