The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Has anyone seen Scott Guinn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Since I came across the Cafe last September I have always been impressed with the posts of Scott Guinn... clear, well thought out responses from a working pro.

Has anyone seen him work? Is there a video of any of his performances? Would any of you be interested in seeing a video of him?

I would.

I'm not talking about a training video but a real world tape of the Scottster in action.

I work in a magic store on Saturdays. We have a series of tapes from someone who is hailed as a world champion. I recently saw him on TV and was... to say the least... underwhelmed. The magic was sound, but the man had no personality whatsoever.

Many people can write about the subject of magic, create killer routines, win awards, but when it comes right down to it I want to see how they perform and deal with the public.

A great example of someone who lives up to his writings, walks the walk and talks the talk, is Eugene Burger. I read one of his books before going to see him at Biggs in Chicago back in the mid 90's. He did exactly what he wrote. It was very impressive.

I intend to purchase Scott's books in the near future.

I wish I lived near Idaho.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
JR,

I share your admiration for Scott, but alas, I haven't met or seen him perform. Your reference to "Scott's books" caught my eye, however... Where might I find information about them?

Thanks,
Tim
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
JR-

How is the magic scene in Champaign? I will most likely be moving to the area be the end of the year. I appreciate any tips you can give me and maybe we can get together sometime in the future.

Best regards-
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
Your reference to "Scott's books" caught my eye, however... Where might I find information about them?

In this cafe, under the make a deal section I think I've seen them.

Paul.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Wow...paint me honored and hang me on the wall!

Thank you for your kind comments, JR.

Fact is, I'm pretty much just like most of the other working pros in the world--not very well known within the magic community or outside of our own region. The reason you haven't seen me work is because 90% of my gigs are private shows in the Pacific Northwest--mostly Idaho and Oregon.

I have some video footage of a couple of shows, but it's nothing special--bad lighting, amateur cameraman, poor sound quality. Still, if you're interested, I'd be happy to run off a copy for you. It wouldn't be a high quality dub, but it'd give you an idea of my stand-up show.

I don't currently have ANY footage of my close up or restaurant work. Until now, no one's ever asked for it, and I haven't needed it!

As far as people on the Cafe who've seen me work, there are a few who've been at my lectures. About the only ones who've seen me work for real people, either live or on video? Well, that list is even shorter:
Paul Green
Raymonde Crow
Victor Brisbin
yakandjak
magisher

There may be a couple of others, but that's all I can think of right now. Feel free to Pm any of them and ask for their opinions.

Again, thank you for your very kind and flattering comments!

Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
A few replies to things mentioned in this thread.

I, too, would love to see that video. But if JR gets ahold of it, it will no doubt meet my eyes at some point Smile

Scott's material is fantastic. I recently recieved a few of his items and really enjoyed them. It isn't academic magic, it is designed for actual use.

And as for the magic scene in Champaign? It is excellent, in my biased opinion.

You will find plenty of good people here, as well as some real talents.

Plus, we have JR Thomas....you can't beat that!
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
I also am always impressed with Scott Guinn's posts. Keep it up Scott!

You, and those like you, are what make this cafe so great for it's users,
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
138 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
I'm always impressed with Scott's contributions to Visions. His effects are consistently startling and have a great impact.

He's quickly becoming one of my favourite creators!

Keep up the good work!
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Scott's "Sucker Trick" (archived on The Coin Purse, but worth buying "Great Scott! It's Coin Magic" for) was one of those truly magical moments for me. I've been in magic far too long, and everything was starting to taste the same, and then I read Scott's routine.

Now it (or a cheap substitute) is my preferred opening whenever small children are present... Smile

thanks, Scott!
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Scott if you ever make a video of you performing in the restaurant world or even close up, I'd be happy to send you a blank tape to dub a copy for me.

I agree with armagic am always impressed with your posts Scott !!!

YOU THE MAN !!!!!
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
MagicalChris
View Profile
New user
Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalChris
w00t I am happy to say I am one of the lucky few to see scott perform.. it was actually a lecture.. does that count? Well lets say a great show and the deals he made with his items for sale were great. (thanks for the books!) His RHM is wonderful! (holding the cardbetween the buttons.. priceless.) your tips and ideas for that trick really added a pazzaz to it. I suggest his books and notes, money well spent.

-chw
magisher
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of magisher
I have seen Scott perform lots of times, and he has never failed to WOW them! He is the total package=very funny, entertaining and he has a way with people. He is also alot better technicaly then he thinks he is! Which is kinda amazing, because he's had a lotta injuries to both hands and his fingers are short!
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
I agree with all the other. Any Scott trick is great!
I've received his last Booklet. I'm falling in love for his version of Red Hot Mama.
Thank you Scott!
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Variable75...when you get settled come to Dallas and Company on a Saturday. I work all day. The store is located on the corner of University and First street. Come to Jillian's ( Neil street North of Kirby and South of Green) on a Friday afternoon between 5 and 7 and you can see your truly in action.

THe magic scene is alive and well in Champaign. There's active chapters of the IBM and SAM. Dallas and Company is one of the few magic stores outside fo the Chicago area. Underground legend Don England comes in the shop on Saturdays. 3 words....He fooled Marlo. The University of Illinois provides a steady stream of magic talent, Garrett for one. I look forward to meeting you.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I must agree, from the viewpoint of judging a book by its cover (which I admittedly do on occasion), I must say I can make a protracted judgement that you are a good performer--and I say that based upon the quality and thoughtfulness of your posts.

Can I prove this scientifically? No, but someday I hope to see you in action, and I would of course hope that the reverse becomes true as well.

Regards,

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Has anyone seen Scott Guinn? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL