The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
Several months ago I posted the following on another forum and got a smattering of responses that ranged from caustic to sincere. It is a question that requires introspection and consideration.
I wonder what response it will evoke within this merry band. While probably not a good time for this, here 'tiz.

As he reads the latest, from the most current posts to the archives, DeNomolos ruminates, cogitates, fumes and fusses, as he ponders the philosophies behind obvious variations of blah, blah, blah and yada,yada,yada. When pressed for his reasoning, all that he said was that he wondered "why? " We've heard him rant and rave over relevancy like a devils advocate, and have watched him open many a can of worms as he alienates would be associates with his vitriolic diatribe. He has that snide side for which he is infamous. The burr under his saddle has to do with a series of wry observations that he has made as he reads magical forums. Just what is the real motivation for prioritized posting?
1. I want to sell you something.
2. I want to tell you something
3. I want to yell something at you.
4. I want instant recognition and gratification.
5. I want to have more posts than you do.
6. I can do this and you can't, so there!
7. I want to know what you are doing that I'm not.
8. I like what you are doing. Where can I get one?
9. Howdy Dodat?
10. Me too.
11. Me three.
12. Mine's bigger than yours.
And last, and unfortunately least:
13. I have an interest in originality and would like to share ideas.

Ok. Wishful verbiage or whimsy, the old coot made me think about whys and wherefores, and hopefully, he hasn't stepped on any toes. 70 years in magic has a downside in that mocking bird mouths overrides the hummingbird behinds, but the generational gag doesn't prevent critique or assignation. Think what you will from this rambling, but think. THINK!

Brighten dark corners!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Greetings Ed, I have responded to this in an earlier e mail as you know.

I reaffirm my sentiments here and now,

And will visit again soon to see how many replies your post garners.

Kotah
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well, my post on reflection for the holidays has my thoughts related to this question.

Not that anyone reads what I write - but that us another question Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
My feelings are...Some,would be better making tweets on twitter!
They do not respond to others,nor read others' post,and post as 'look at me' ! Smile
Some,you never even see here...unless,it is a plug for themselves or about selling or doing a gig!

@ DrSpektor,I have said this before...I always read your post,So don't inlude all of us! Smile

@ Ed,I think some give better replies through emails and Pm's!
And,thanks for a couple Pm's you have sent me on certain subjects! Smile

Merry Christmas!
From,Me & Capt.Morgan!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 23:04, Godzilla wrote:

@ DrSpektor,I have said this before...I always read your post,So don't inlude all of us! Smile

But you are not anyone - you are someone!!!!! Smile (besides on the Astarte thread I actually did thank you by name for actually contributing to the thread - it's nice to know someone is engaging in the discussion)
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Bruce,I know you did...I read it ! LOL

:)

IMHO...Spooky and the Folk here,are the best on Café !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
If we are passionate about our interests then all of the above will come true at some point. At this moment I am number 2. As soon as I click on the next thread - I spin the wheel. I do not judge other members by anything but balance and would be surprised if anyone would stick around for any length of time if they felt otherwise.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I just reread my post about 5 times congratulating myself on how insightful I can be. ...better make that number 14. (or is that contained in #4 & #12?)
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Ed,

#14 - I wish to elicit a response from my fellow denizens, and hear their thoughts, feelings and ideas on a particular topic.

That is the Yin to the Yang of your number 13.

I have in the past, and will continue to, post topics in the hope of provoking discussion on this wonderful art. That's why I have asked people what they consider to be the classic effects of Bizarre Magic, a topic which actually hung around for a couple of weeks getting responses, all of which I enjoyed.

Having said that, and in light of the Docs recent post, I shall redouble my efforts to post and respond to topics which are not product-centric, but seek to shine an illuminating light on our dark art.

And...happy holidays to you all.

Brynmore
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
Wise words from wonder workers as expected.
Good thoughts, all.
I'm taken back to early playground taunts that haunt my memory of elementary school in the late 1930s;
Like it was yesterday, I remember these edifying details.

Diggers dig
Workers work
Thinkers think and
Stinkers stink

And that was the teachers saying that.
We ARE a band of thinkers, diggers, doers, and workers.
Your immediate responses prove that.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 08:32, Ed Solomon wrote:
Wise words from wonder workers as expected.
Good thoughts, all.
I'm taken back to early playground taunts that haunt my memory of elementary school in the late 1930s;
Like it was yesterday, I remember these edifying details.

Diggers dig
Workers work
Thinkers think and
Stinkers stink

And that was the teachers saying that.
We ARE a band of thinkers, diggers, doers, and workers.
Your immediate responses prove that.

Aye but where be the stinkers????
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Here I am!
I thought you guys would never get around to me!
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
If I may, I'd like to turn your question on its head, Ed. Instead of 'why?', lets consider 'why not now?' (I.e., lets go all Hillel on it.)

Let's see if these reasonss for NOT posting ring any spirit bells:

1. I'm too busy to write a thoughtful response, so I won't bother.
2. I don't post because I don't think I have anything useful to post.
3. I'm enjoying reading this thread, and would like to continue do so, but everytime I post the thread mysteriously dies or is swallowed by He Who Shall Not Be Named.
4. I'm sure mine is smaller than yours, so why expose it?
5. I'll keep my proprietary thought to myself, because I'm guarding my special technique, effect, etc.
6. I'm not a professional, I only dabble (or collect, are here to learn, steal trade secrets, monitor for potential terrorist activities, etc.), so its not my place to post.
7. Huh, what? I don't understand.
8. I'm too advanced in experience (or knowledge, skill, intelligence, etc.); it would be beneath me to post.
9. Pick a number from 1 to 10 (not including 1 or 10), then lets see if my prediction matches... (I.e., what I would like to post would take the thread in a different direction or otherwise hijack the thread.
10. I'd better not post what I'm thinking; it will surely be taken the wrong way (or offend, insense, etc.).
11. No one would care what I thought I might post.
(And the respone you can't get)
12. I don't read the threads.

I can certainly say I have invoked many of the above excuses.

Hopefully, if someone's reason for not posting is #7, they'll do some research! Learn!

Brynmore and Dr. S. - I always enjoy your threads (even if I do invoke #1 or #2 too frequently). Keep them coming.

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to respond to this thread.

Thank you, Ed, for starting this discussion!
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
Ah ha, thinkers ARE among us.
That was what I was searching for.
We are beset with reasons now and all in good faith.
Thanks the to thee that respond and join the discussion.
ENLIGHTENMENT WILL BE OUR REWARD.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5520 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I try to intelligently contribute when I can, but as a collector and casual performer, I back down when the conversation becomes too intellectual - or experience-based. Not because I'm lazy, but because I don't want to contribute anything that is naive, ignorant, inaccurate, poorly researched, or down-right untrue. I feel for the educated performers in this area of the Café, a false gesture of knowledge would be inconsiderate.

That said, when the going gets tough...I keep reading. And learning. And trying to at least say "thank you" along the way to all the folks who have posted and taught me things since I've been here...and they've taught me a lot. So while I may not always contribute valuable info for the cognoscenti, I do want to say "thank you" to the many of you who have helped so many of us discover this bizarre world. I love coming here and learning...and there is so much to learn.

Happy holidays everyone.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Yitzhak,

I'll keep them coming thick and fast.

Your #3 has thwarted me on many occasions, as does the tablet I post using, which has deleted many of my lengthiest and most in depth posts and answers through one accidental wrong press of the touch screen. Having said that my hand eye tablet coordination is getting better slowly.

#5 is a concern to some folks, but I really think the process of peer review has so many benefits to the art and us as individual performers, that unless you are planning on marketing it, then it is a **** weak excuse. I've probably just shown my disregard for #10 & #11 in that statement Smile
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 15:09, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I try to intelligently contribute when I can, but as a collector and casual performer, I back down when the conversation becomes too intellectual - or experience-based. Not because I'm lazy, but because I don't want to contribute anything that is naive, ignorant, inaccurate, poorly researched, or down-right untrue. I feel for the educated performers in this area of the Café, a false gesture of knowledge would be inconsiderate.

That said, when the going gets tough...I keep reading. And learning. And trying to at least say "thank you" along the way to all the folks who have posted and taught me things since I've been here...and they've taught me a lot. So while I may not always contribute valuable info for the cognoscenti, I do want to say "thank you" to the many of you who have helped so many of us discover this bizarre world. I love coming here and learning...and there is so much to learn.

Happy holidays everyone.

beautifully written Sir Wizard of Oz
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I would like to comment and offer in put concerning Dr. Spektors thoughts and threads.

My roblem is 9 times out of 1o, I have to google search the subject to find out what he is talking about.

By the TIME I understand, the thread is full.

H e uses very big words ya know.

K
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Spooky is blessed to have heaps of great minds.

But perhaps we are guilty of being intellectually competitive in threads?
This could be off-putting to most.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 02:58, Eddie Garland wrote:
Spooky is blessed to have heaps of great minds.

But perhaps we are guilty of being intellectually competitive in threads?
This could be off-putting to most.

Really Eddie? I'm new to this whole Bizarre caper, but compared to most areas of life I see a whole lot more humility here than most places.

Can you elaborate on what you meant Eddie?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL