The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Are you a Bizarre Magician? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I'm wondering how everyone here conceptualises and labels themselves to themselves regarding their performance art.

What do you call yourself and what you do? And why?
Are you a Bizarre Magician?
A Mystery Performer?
A Mentalist?
A Psychic Entertainer?
A Curator? Smile

And how does this label inform your performance? What biases does it introduce to your thinking about what you do (good or bad)?

I am leaning towards Dark Mentalist, due to my suntan and insanity Smile
Seriously though, I like Dark Mentalism as my internal label because it reflects my interest in dark subject matter, but also that I want to get the sort of reactions I get with mentalism, and the accompanying suspension of disbelief.

Brynmore
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, a Curator seems appropriate...
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
Professional pervericator.
Teller of tall tales
Truth stretcher
Exaggerator personified
Storyteller
Keeper of dark secrets
Sentimentalist

At one time or the other, all of the above.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Why limit oneself? I used to dabble with calling myself a mizzarist which I guess is similar to a dark mentalism presenter.... But over time it became clear to me I'm many things as are you all.... So there are my own personal concepts just for me - and there is a term for the public to engage them on what I do - so currently my public concept is psychological illusionist.... Which allows me to bring all my other credentials to back it up.

If that makes any sense Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
For me it is a bit hard to label what I do. most times I do not know what I am going to do until it is done. I have been known by many titles but none of them give a full measure of me.

magician
mentalist
bizarrist
mystery performer
psychic
dark mentalist

but for my clients that keep rebooking me every year they just call Me Michael. You see I have spent a lot of performance time with these people and shown them many things over the years. they have seen my many incarnations as a performer. what they say about me is also as varied. they have told me I actually perform 2 types of magic....
illusion and trickery, and the real deal.

so for them I change and evolve. I give them something new with every performance. I keep them off balance by going back and forth from fun happy to dark mystery, to pure psychic. what they always get is a story. a continuing never ending plot that leads them on some wild adventure.....
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4356 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
For me it is.Magician,Bizarre Mentalist.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1938 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Academic Magician
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I call myself Harley. The labels are convenient for other people.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I am the "Love Child" of Alice Cooper & Elvira...if there was such a,Beast!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Ok, great answers everyone. Some of you have touched on my question two, which is "what do you call yourself when talking about what you do to other? And by extension, in your marketing material?

I keep getting introduced as a magician, but find that this comes with many preconcieved notions in the mind of the public. Many of these notions communicate a very different vibe and persona that the one I'm going for.

Having said the some folks, Mr Cagigal for example seem to use the title quite effectively and transcend these limitations.

So, in your opinions, is it better to go with a term like magician, that the public recognises; or do we use a label like psychological illusionsist and hope that someone still books us from our marketing material?
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Storyteller is what I strive to be known as. I try to use magic as an exclamation point, and sometimes, there is no 'trick', just a story.

Rescently, my wife came across some old entries in note book I always carry. (Yes, I am a proud luddite.) It was the design notes for my latest business card. I was struggling as to what to put on it. It included: Psychic Entertainer, Paranormal Entertainer, Medium - Leader of Seances, Cairvoyant, and some others. In the end, I used Storyteller of the Paranormal.

Is what Brynmore is asking, what do you put on your business card - what do you want people to know you as?
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Just to clarify - likely it was clear - I use the term psychological illusionist for me as it works for me for my current context and various sobers I interact in.... It may or may not work for anyone else, even if they did similar things I do.... As it's not just the pieces you perform, it's the context and target audience and other factors that also influence this.

Also, j c sum had an interesting piece in one of his books why he thought the term illusionist worked for him.... I liked it a lot an went to illusionist as part of what resonated with me.

One thing to keep in mind for communicating to the outside versus yourself - they need clear simple terms so they can explain who and what you do to others. To ourselves, we can acknowledge our murkiness as reality - and those outside who get to know us will eventually get it too IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I have to agree with Dr Spektor!

Brynmore14,Ask youself this...what do you perform ?
Magic,Mentalism,Bizarre,Magick,Who is your target audience?
Are you playing Stage(100 plus)/Parlor/Close up!

If you advertise as a Bizarrist,you will limit your audience.
If you claim mediumship,this will give a limit of audience.
There are so many factors here!
Your Character,photo will help your lead to audience wanted!
If your photo is with a card spread,it will lead to Magician!

Yes,there is exceptions to everything!!!

Can,you create your own venue and location ? Some have done this,to their success!

I think Magician,is not so bad! If you give your performance description!
Your photo and dress,will help reach your target crowd!

If you are going to do a entire act of bizarre...you're not going to get Rich!
Again,there is always a few exceptions!

For me,only wanting to do parties/close up/parlor,I will use 'Paranormal Entertainer'!
And,there is no plan of making any great income with it!
So,I can get my small target audience!

If I was trying to do,what I think you are,I may go with something like this:
"Master of Manifestation"

Manifestation ; Noun : An event,or object that cleary or embodies something.esp.a theory of an abstract idea !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 15:53, Godzilla wrote:

No, you're a giant lizard. Deal with it!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 20:24, Andre Hagen wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 15:53, Godzilla wrote:

No, you're a giant lizard. Deal with it!

Let me explain...I would not copy the looks of Alice & Elvira,it is the (ATTITUDE) !
I may change my performance name to,"Alvirus"!

Let me make Two Things perfectly clear:
I would not have been a,Bottle Baby! Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Bizarre mentalist. . .and, loving it!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14

I think my banner conveys the image I'm going for, but I haven't yet found a title to use to describe myself to others. Dark Mentalist works for me internally, but outside of this forum, probably doesn't mean much to anyone else.

I used to go with psychological illusionist when I was being a Derren clone, but that doesn't reflect the new me after beginning my love affair with bizarre magic.

Joe Diamond calls himself the Paranormal Magician, and I know we have practitioners of spooky magic. Then you have those who have a title fairly unique to themselves i.e. Dr Todd's Academic Magician. Then you have those like Vlad, who uses Gothic Magic, but is possibly better known just as Vlad.

Yitzhak, you have probably summed it up nicely, what do you put on your business card.

Back when I was in the shut eye world I was a Daoist Alchemist and Qigong / Martial Arts Instructor. Easy to put on a card, and I had a target market that knew what that meant. I find it a bit trickier now, pun intended.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Special user
St. George, Utah
504 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
A competent entertainer, currently using the story telling and bizarre venue to achieve audience satisfaction.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.IMPete.com
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
396 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
I love the the term and my business card says paranormal entertainer.
Below it says: magic, mind reading and seance.

I think that this way you leave the subtlety open, that what you do is the real thing, since I want to attract shut eyes as well as regular customers. Basically everyone reads in it, what he wants to.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Sicnatius, I like the ambiguity that you have introduced. Very clever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Are you a Bizarre Magician? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL