The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Secrecy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
From a magic friend of mine (since I haven't had the courage to go yet): The Denver area SAM is very friendly to new people. Both SAM and IBM have regular meetings in the metro area. Someday I'll get a night off and go.

Deerbourne
J773
View Profile
New user
Belgium
56 Posts

Profile of J773
As a beginner in magic, I also encounter the problem of getting people to teach me magic, instead of learning from books or video's.
But you have to start somewhere, I guess.

I enrolled myself into a club, but even they are strict in teaching you stuff.

They have weekly meetings, but when you are a beginner, you can only come once a month (and then not even on nights, when they practice and teach).
After about two years, you have to take a test.
When you pass the test, you can come weekly.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
My advice- just as Bill Palmer stated- get involved in the IBM/SAM. They will help you out so much. Meeting new people who have the same interest that you do will help you in more ways than one.

As far as spending 300 dollars- ha- well it's your money. Ten years ago I did the same thing- whatever came out I bought. The tricks that said: "It rocked the people at FISM, only $20.00- it's a reputation maker!" I bought. I did that for about a year and a half. Then I realized that I had way too much stuff in my closet. I was spending so much on magic. But now I only have a carry bag- with nothing else but the stuff that I need to succeed in performing.

I also started reading- I have an entire room in my house dedicated to magic litterature and books on performing. I spend all my $ mostly on getting new reading material. However I don't buy every book that comes out- I buy what's appealing to my character and performing persona. PM me if you have anymore thoughts on the matter.
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
I guess it's one of those things. I see the point of not revealing everything on the Internet, but it IS good to have some help occasionally. From what I've seen, people on this site seem to be very friendly and willing to help those that are sincerely interested in learning.

Jeremiah Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Secrecy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL