The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Way Out XII by Marc Oberon (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
You are correct. My bad.

I was so far into the idea of predicting the outcome of 3 games of RPS that I did not make it clear in my post. I think just predicting one game is too little. And predicting them 3 times seperately doesn't really work either. I.e. "I will now place a NEW prediction in my breast pocket, predicting the NEXT game". But alas, having the result of 3 games is 3*9=27.

Of course, there are ways to reduce that by considering symmetry, draws etc. For me it boils down to reduction of logistics. Taking a paper out and putting it in again is logistics. I would like to device a routine with as little logistics as possible.
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
515 Posts

Profile of westo
Maybe your thinking of Rock,Paper,Scissors,Lizard,Spock
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3746 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
There are ways around it ie predicting the outcome of the third game of r p s, they play 3 games in a row and you have predicted the outcome of the final game. Even though you are still only predicting the same single game, the fact that they play 3 games make the odds appear to be far greater than 1 in 9.

You can do looch's version 3 times in a row with three different predictions numbered one two and three. If you know looch's method how to do it 3 times in a row should be apparent (if you don't know his effect get his excellent penguin lecture, you won't regret it).

However I don't like this idea because unlike which hand that is a straight 50/50 and so needs to be repeated, r p s has multiple possible outcomes and many people think there are far more than there really are and so it doesn't need to be repeated. If you are going to repeat it you need some form of progression, some way of making each successive attempt more impossible rather than simply repeating the same effect 3 times.

Sometimes repeating something can make it more impressive with each attempt e.g. calling heads or tails. However some things lose their power with each successive demonstration unless you up the stakes because the novelty wears off and so each successive demonstration seems less impressive (something I use to very good effect on those occasions that a heckler comes out with a line so funny I can't compete, I compliment them on the line and ask them to repeat it, I actually get them to repeat it around 4 times before delivering my response. By the 4th time they say their line it has long since stopped being funny and then my line (that would be an inadequate response but for the timing) is delivered and buries them stone dead.

Anyway I digress, if I wanted to do more than one phase I would first do looch's and then I would increase the difficulty by performing it with 2 spectators as outlined in my prior post.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I am looking for a way to use this in a Q&A session. I would like to use only one gimmick with four outs. Obviously, I could have "yes" and "no", but that leaves two more. I want the answers to be definitive, not "maybe". Can anyone think of four definitive answers?
KJ
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
515 Posts

Profile of westo
Yes. No. True. False.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Westo,
Why didn't I think of that!? That's why you probably get the big bucks.
Thanks,
kj
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
515 Posts

Profile of westo
Big bucks? I wish!
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
It looks like stores are getting the REFILL packs in now. I see MJM Magic now has a bunch of them (Zodiac, 4 Way, 3 Way, etc):

Refill Packs for Way Out XII
- EddieM
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1252 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Unfortunatley the writing shows thru the paper. Anybody having the same problem?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Artin,

Are you using the pen that comes with Way Out XII? It was specially chosen because it doesn't bleed through. You can also use a black crayon and that definitely won't bleed through.

Best,

Atlas
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Just got this. The 4-on-one aspect was enough for me to purchase, I'll probably never use the switch. And I'm very happy.

Right off the bat I think I'll use the single piece of paper with a Koran (5 star prediction) deck...
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I just received this and on my first impression of the pre-made star sign is not that great in terms of a close-up setting. Let's just say, you have to cover two edges with your fingers( better have large hands, as I do) to make it look presentable. Maybe my batch was not made to the best quality. I hope my own construction will be better. The idea and possibilities of this utility device is great. I will post later after use and my own construction.

Mike
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1252 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 15:36, MagicAtlas wrote:
Hi Artin,

Are you using the pen that comes with Way Out XII? It was specially chosen because it doesn't bleed through. You can also use a black crayon and that definitely won't bleed through.

Best,

Atlas

Hi Atlas,

yes I used the supplied pen and also made sure to write very quickly on the paper.
Its not completely bleeding thru but the writing on the backside can be lightly seen.
Thanks for the hint.

kind regards,
Martin
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Martin,

I'm happy to help. The trick isn't in the speed of writing, but in taking care not to overlap the letters to the point in which the ink bleeds through. Something else which works extremely well was suggested to me by my good friend Steve - he uses external alphabet stickers and they are bold, visible, and don't show through in the least.

Mike, I'd really recommend pressing the "cards" and taking your time in front of the mirror when presenting this. If you bow the paper outward to make it concave from your perspective, that helps a bit, though in truth, only two of the four reveals could really be problematic (and one in the three way) and that is easily covered by holding the paper in your hand and using the middle (rather than the index) finger to open it the second half of the way. This leaves your middle finger on the crease at the top and the others join it quite naturally. I hope this makes sense. Basically, just leave your fingers at the top in the middle, rather than moving them all the way to the side of the paper and it looks perfect.

Best,

Atlas
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Thx for the tip(s) Atlas, will give it a try.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
After taking Atlas's advice ( thx Atlas) I no longer have an issue with performing this in a close up setting. I have been practicing for the past few days to get it down smoothly. If you are familiar with star signs, Marc's mnemonic is easy to learn. It took about 15-30 minutes to master. A great read to memorize star sign dates is Star Signs by Julian Moore.

Mike
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Mike,

I'm glad I could be of some help! I figured that as we hailed from the same great state, I'd make an effort Smile

As you use this more and more, you'll find that its scope extends far beyond what is offered on the DVD. Anyone familiar with Colin's BBT can see how you could start by handing your participant an envelope...

Best,

Atlas
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Just had a thought for an alternative to the breast pocket, use mentalcraft's velour bag. Will give it a try when I get home.
Chakkan
View Profile
New user
France
26 Posts

Profile of Chakkan
I can't sayt how much I LOVE this trick !
Those that complain about the number of outs by paper or te edge thickness have not tried it...
Even close up, it rocks, really.

And for those who do possess it, here is my gift : an Open Prediction using Way Out XII.

In addition to the Magigazine #15 (broadcast scheduled on 28th February) where we talk about Way Out XII by Marc Oberon, here is an Open Prediction I’m glad to offer, working with this tool.

Warning :
- You must be able to perform a perfect Faro for this routine
- You must be able to divide by 2, and eventually substract 26.

Preparation :
Complete deck with a key card (short, crimp, breather, thick…).
Separate 12 cards of your choice, I’ll take the Hearts family in that example.
From top to bottom, place the cards like this : Ace from Queen of Hearts in order, key card, rest of the deck.
Prepare your Way Out XII according to the 12 cards you use (if different from the Hearts used here).

Routine :
Show the deck face up and fan some cards to show that it is shuffled (don’t go too far an reveal that the Hearts are packed in the same quarter).
Tell the spectator that you have a piece of paper that will help you through this trick, and ask him a number between 1 and 52.
While you talk and the spectator answers, perform a perfect Faro in shuffle. If the number is bigger than 26, cut immediately after the shuffle, and put the deck on the table.

When you reach for the piece of paper :
- If the number is on the paper that protrudes from your pocket, take it out as slowly and cleanly as possible and put it on the table or keep clearly at the tip of your fingertips.
- If the number is on another piece of paper, use verbal misdirection by looking in the eyes and say, for instance “Strange choice… I’ll ask you to work a little, otherwise you might think I cheat. Please count as many cards as the number you just told”.
The person counts, and depending on the configuration, either turn the last card or the following card. To see the conditions, check “The Secret”.

The Secret :
By performing a perfect Faro, every other card is a Hearts (2...4...6...8…)

Number between 1 and 26.
- If the announced number is even, the spectator counts and turns the last card. The prediction to use with Way Out XII equals the number divided by 2. For example : the spectator says 16, you divide by 2, which gives 8, you get the 8 of hearts.
- If the announced number is odd, the spectator counts and turns the following card. The prediction card to use with Way Out XII equals the number divided by 2, rounded up. For example : the spectator says 17, you divide by 2, which gives 8.5, thus 9.You get the 9 of hearts.
- The weakness is 26, which is not covered with Way Out XII. But you know that card since it is your key card. This is why I don’t say earlier that there is something written on the paper. If 26 is chosen, you light say that this paper has magic properties, and by lifting quickly on your key card and inserting your paper in the deck you can say that not only it is in 26th position, but that the chosen card is the Queen of Spades (name of your key card).

Number between 27 and 52.
Reminder : at that point you have already cut after you shuffled, whici positioned your prediction cards in the second half of the deck.
Substract 26 from the number, and proceed as above to divide by 2 and know which Way Out XII piece of paper to use.

Strengths :
- You never touch the deck after the shuffle
- You don’t use a card as prediction but a written document, which eludes the idea of manipulation
- Very direct, the paper stays in full sight all the time
- No cardistry except a Faro
- Very little memory work.

Enjoy ! Smile
Chakkan
View Profile
New user
France
26 Posts

Profile of Chakkan
And for those of you who don't want to use it with a Jacket for the Pocket, have a look to the Fox Holdout by Wayne Fox. Sleeves rolled up anyone ? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Way Out XII by Marc Oberon (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL