The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Question about the Tarantula (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jontem
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jontem
Hello, I showed my girlfriend the trailer for the Tarantula and she loved the effects on the trailer. And today she told me that she ordered it to me but it didn't arrive in time for Christmas.
It is my first time owning ANY IT product, I've never had any thread or even wax.
So what I would like to know is if the Tarantula comes with any a spool and wax, and if I need to buy those, so I can order because in Portugal I don't know any magic shops...

Thanks a ton!
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hijontem,yes it comes with everything you need , just get a few spare batterys soon after it arives.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
jontem
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jontem
Thanks a ton! I heard regular watch batteries should work right?
Follow up question, is this product good for a beginner or is it too advanced? Keepint in mind that I never had any IT product...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Don't let it discourage you from future IT work (and other IT type props) if you don't like it. A beginner could use it well with a LOT of practice. I would suggest you check out The Amazing Joe-Joes Webspinner and dvd ASAP, also (when you can afford) Steve Fearsons Master Levitation System. These 2 products will change the way you see and do IT effects.
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......ts_id=43
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......s_id=308
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......s_id=405
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, this is very advanced for those with no experience at all. I suggest you do not touch the device until you watch the video and read all the information. If you do mess with it without proper knowledge you will most likely break it.

Don't handle it roughly as well it is a delicate device, and should be treated as such.

Saying all that, if you take your time and experiment before trying to do anything in front of other people, then you should do okay.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Nothing to add that hasn't been said, only this:

Buy batteries.
Lots of batteries.
In bulk.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, maybe he should see if he likes it, first! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-25 21:14, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I would suggest you check out The Amazing Joe-Joes Webspinner and dvd ASAP, also (when you can afford) Steve Fearsons Master Levitation System. These 2 products will change the way you see and do IT effects.
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......ts_id=43
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......s_id=308
http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......s_id=405

Since you have the Tarantula on the way, the above is kinda moot. But, yes! As much as I hate giving away this info, this is the ULTIMATE in IT sources, both in material and instruction! To me, The Tarantula is a piece of junk. I'd NEVER use it. But...your mileage may vary. Some have had good experience with it.

Do keep the above in mind though!

Doug
jontem
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jontem
Thanks a lot guys! I think I will try to learn the workings with IT. Since I will receive a reel, is it good to get loops or something like that on the side?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Loops are another thing entirely. That's elastic IT. Whole 'nuther animal...
jontem
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jontem
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 16:32, Dougini wrote:

Oh ok... Guess I know nothing about IT ahah

So, besides reels what should I go for? When I can afford it ofc
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
By the way, welcome to the Café! Sorry. I'm slow today...

Reels? ITR's? I really don't like them. Breakage is the biggest problem. Reloading that puppy...woo. Ya better have good eyesight. Ya wanna get off cheap, I know. Don't blame ya. Reels are gonna cost ya. Two of mine are in a drawer. I'll find another use for them. Waste of money.

OK. Some might get mad at me for mentioning this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woolly-Nylon-Thr......2ab8691d

Then, spend 10 bucks on this e-book:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-invisible-thr......399.html

Less than $20 total. How's that? You will have the correct start to I.T., and not have to buy into the HYPE today. Steve Fearson's stuff can come later. Right now, learn lighting and background. When and when NOT to perform it. Being BRIEF is most important. Going on too long is the biggest mistake I see.

Let us know what you decide! Smile

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 17:02, jontem wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 16:32, Dougini wrote:

Oh ok... Guess I know nothing about IT ahah

So, besides reels what should I go for? When I can afford it ofc

Stop right there! You don't even have the device that someone was kind enough to purchase for you and you are wanting to buy - buy - buy more. Don't buy anything else. Take the device and learn it inside out and backwards. The only other thing you may need is more information on using IT, not tricks, but DVDs and books and instructions. This will help you be creative and know what and when you can perform extra ordinary magic miracles.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 20:40, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The only other thing you may need is more information on using IT, not tricks, but DVDs and books and instructions.

That's why I posted the link to the I.T. Manual. For TEN BUCKS he will be FAR ahead of the game. When (not IF) the IT breaks on the Tarantula enough times, it will end up in a drawer. Having a backup is imperative! And he needs to learn how to STRIP I.T. and have it ready. Once he learns that, when he gets The Web Spinner, he will really appreciate the ease it allows!

Both DVDs, Steve Fearsons System and JoeJoe's Web Spinner DVD cover EVERYTHING a beginner could possibly want to know. With the I.T. Manual he will be up to speed with the rest of us. Then, all he needs is performance time! I only wish I had this info back in 1977. I was struggling with The WunderBar back then. I could be FAR ahead of the game today if I had all this...

Doug
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I'll take those unloved ITR's off your hands, Doug... PM me if you wanna haggle!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I thought about it Chris. They DO have a use. Just not in my regular performance. In fact, I'm rigging up something right now to try...
jontem
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jontem
Thanks a ton guys. I WILL use it Bill. I just think I should get a bit more background on IT before playing with something like that, that I am so afraid to break...

Anyway, it got here today, (penguin magic only took 4 days for it to get to Portugal wow) and I'm gonna watch the dvd and try to set it up.
Very excited!
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I broke 3 already Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Spinnerets are really not for the beginner. Unless you happen to have $200+ lying around. Pro performers, yes. Spinnerets could be a great alternative to what you do now. I see a lot of potential here.

Beginners, be careful. There is a lot of junk out there. I know. I have it all! LOL! Seriously research IT and IET to see if IT is for you before gambling with large amounts of $$$. Hey, spend $200+ if ya want...just know that I was blowing people's minds after spending less than $5 on a spool of Royal Blue Woolly Nylon. That spool is ten years old, and still has 1500 feet left on it!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Question about the Tarantula (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL