The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Belated Happy Boxing Day! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
To my Canadian, Brit and Aussie friends and whomever else in the world celebrates today, I hope y'all had a good one.

I first learned about Boxing Day living in Hong Kong from 1977-1980. Those of you not familiar with the holiday, Google it. It's a cool day.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Thanks.

AFAIK, no one really knows the true origin of the name 'Boxing Day'. Lots of favourite pet theories, though.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I remember being told in Hong Kong that it had something to do with getting rid of the boxes that the Christmas presents came in. I also heard that it may have had something to do with the servants and the gifts they were given by the "upstairs" folks. Sound familiar to you?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I posted this on another thread: Growing up in the once-British colony of South Africa, our custom on Boxing Day was to give gifts to garbage collectors, postal workers, coal delivery men, etc. Every December 26th, these folks would go door to door, collecting gifts in the neighborhoods where they worked throughout the year.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Kinda connects with the "downstairs" help, though the idea of the folks going door to door seeking the "gifts" seems more like Halloween, or even, as discussed in another thread, the practice of kids in NYC going door to door seeking "gifts" at Thanksgiving.

Customs and traditions are interesting. There's a new thread there somewhere. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Afaik the tradition goes back to giving a "Christmas box" to the hired help who had to work on Christmas day. As it was a statutory holiday, boxing day became a useful day for retailers to get rid of their excess Christmas stock. The Boxing Day sale was invented. In recent years retailers plan on bringing in special stock for a giant sale on Boxing Day. Some even go so far as to extend the "sales event" for a week. At least in Canada, it's rather like placing Black Friday between Christmas and New Year.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Do you guys know you made me Google AFAIK? How out of touch am I? Yikes. I still have a flip cell phone. Smile

So, like Christmas, Boxing Day has become a commercial payday for retailers. Not sure if that's good or bad, negative or positive. It does seem a shame to lose the meaning of traditions though.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 00:12, Bob1Dog wrote:

I remember being told in Hong Kong that it had something to do with getting rid of the boxes that the Christmas presents came in. I also heard that it may have had something to do with the servants and the gifts they were given by the "upstairs" folks. Sound familiar to you?

Sure, I've heard those. There are various theories (from Wikipedia):

It is believed to be in reference to the Alms Box placed in places of worship to collect donations to the poor.

It may come from a custom in the late Roman/early Christian era, wherein metal boxes placed outside churches were used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen, which in the Western Church falls on the same day as Boxing Day.

In Britain, it was a custom for tradesmen to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year. This is mentioned in Samuel Pepys' diary entry for 19 December 1663.

This custom is linked to an older English tradition: since they would have to wait on their masters on Christmas Day, the servants of the wealthy were allowed the next day to visit their families. The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts and bonuses, and maybe sometimes leftover food.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I always figured it was this;

http://www.hirezfox.com/km/co/d/20081226.html
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Belated Happy Boxing Day! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL