The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Question About Specific Venue and Agents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
I'm curious if an agency would be of value for a specific venue I'm becoming more involved in. For a lack of a better term I'll just call it "Private-Parlour-In-Home" gigs in "advantaged" communities. I don't want to compare myself in any way to the Millionaire Magician... but the gigs would be something he might do.

I hear Mindpro talk about consumer level events, corporate, theater...none of which seem to match what I'm talking about here. Danny also talks about resorts, larger events. Since I have little experience with agents I wonder if this is something that could be useful. My experience is primarily with corporate hospitality and networking events which have led to a fair amount of private work.

Any thoughts?
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The best way to know is by contacting the agents. Be prepared. They will let you in after reviewing a demo video of yourself. They watch videos often giving them less time to watch demo videos. Send the agents a demo from 3-5 minutes. Record it in the atmosphere you would like to perform in. They do not just go by how well you are good with magic, they also watch the audience expressions. Have it edited professionally. Have your DVD in a case that will pop out above the rest.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10169 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 14:58, Tim Zager wrote:
I'm curious if an agency would be of value for a specific venue I'm becoming more involved in. For a lack of a better term I'll just call it "Private-Parlour-In-Home" gigs in "advantaged" communities.

Since I have little experience with agents I wonder if this is something that could be useful. My experience is primarily with corporate hospitality and networking events which have led to a fair amount of private work.

Any thoughts?

While I'm aware that Tim doesn't especially appreciate or accept my opinions or experiences, I will refrain from offering them, but rather will address your inquiry based on fact since you seem to have a genuine interest.

What you are describing is not a typical commercial market of interest to most general full-service agents or agencies. It may be something however, that may be of interest or exist with a specialty agency, or more likely event planners. Clients of this type get into some complicated areas which is typically not of interest to most agencies. With that said, in the corporate markets which you mentioned you do have experience in, agents may book the events you're inquiring about to better serve their current executes, CEO's and other corporate clients, that may be hosting a personal event. It can be common for these types to approach the same agents they use for their corporate events, trade shows, hospitality events, etc. to also handle their home events. Agents typically only do these to maintain corporate clients, but would rarely seek such type of bookings as an aggressive, workable market.

Event Planners on the other hand may specialize more in such types of events, which may be good for your interests, but there are many huge differences between entertainment agents/agencies and event planners. They too are also hard to seek out as while entertainment may be one of their offerings, it is not often with the same interest, priority and aggressiveness of that of an agent. They may be hard to identify and find, and approaching them may be different as well. Often around here mentions of agencies and event planners get lumped together when in reality, shouldn't be. They have completely different approaches, interests, means of execution and perspectives from each other which greatly plays into their level of execution and how it filters down to you the entertainer. Two completely different animals with different ways of doing things. These (event planners) would more likely be your best bet.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Mindpro hit the nail on the head with that answer. I was going to say pretty much the same thing. The "Private-Parlour-In-Home" show is a very unique niche. Most people who perform in this market, do the marketing themselves. General agents or agencies would have very little interest or contact with these types of "Shows". I have done a few and they have either come from the actual client or a specific party planner.

It never hurts to make yourself available to agents or party planners, but if this is the market you are pursuing then I would not put too much time in this avenue.

After I reread what Mindpro wrote, I also now remember that I have picked up a few of these from my corporate work where a client had me do a private party.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Thanks for the input, and I do appreciate your input Mindpro.
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Question About Specific Venue and Agents (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL