The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math Teacher to NFL QB (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
In what sense is it circular?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's not about market value or social value. It's about job scarcity.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 11:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It's not about market value or social value. It's about job scarcity.

In this case, scarcity and market value are perfect proxies for each other. $53k/week for sitting on the bench is his market value as a quarterback. Scarcity (and of course, available capital) is what makes this number what it is. There may be a collective agreement in there somewhere too. Does the NFL have such a thing?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
But again, how is that circular? Of the millions of people who have played football - or even the millions or hundreds of thousands who have played quarterback - he's one of the hundred or so best in the country. That's the only reason he has this job. The three hundredth best quarterback in the country doesn't have a job. The thirty thousandth best teacher does.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 11:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:

But again, how is that circular? Of the millions of people who have played football - or even the millions or hundreds of thousands who have played quarterback - he's one of the hundred or so best in the country. That's the only reason he has this job. The three hundredth best quarterback in the country doesn't have a job. The thirty thousandth best teacher does.

Even assuming what you say is true, arguably the thirty thousandth best teacher deserves a higher salary than the three hundredth best quarterback in the country. (Not that I think you ever said they did not.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
No, Lobo, your analysis is incorrect. We are talking about bad NFL players, not all football players in general. They get paid to play professional football. There are bad professional football players - - they sit on the bench and make a lot of money.

If we were to take the universe of teachers to be anyone who thought they could teach, then I could point to many bad teachers without a job.

But we are talking about the quality of the job within the given profession, and clearly, by the profession's standard, there are some bad football players, bad teachers, and even, I daresay, some bad lawyers.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it's your analysis that's incorrect. It's when you restrict the analysis to professionals that the reasoning becomes circular. Naturally, if you analyze any profession by comparing only the people in that profession to each other, there will be good, bad, and average practitioners; however, that's not the point. By weeding out well over 99% of the people who aspire and train to be professional football players, the NFL (and other sports leagues) create a very exclusive talent pool. There are, in other words, "bad professional football players," e.g. players who are bad by professional standards, but there are not "bad football players" (or even average ones, or even merely 'good' ones) who ever bcome professionals in the first place.

There are many, many people who teach both professionally and non-professionally; "potential teachers," if you will. The question is, how many who teach get to become paid professionals - quite a few. So many, in fact, that many people who don't do it particularly well get lifelong jobs in the field.

There are many, many people who play football both professionally and non-professionally; only the very best of the best will ever do so in the NFL.

My point is, in fact, supported by your own post about the relatively low barriers to entry in the teaching profession. It's natural that those low barriers to entry result in not-particularly-good professionals.

Even restricting the discussion to those within the profession would support the validity of my point. I'd suggest that the distribution of teaching ability (granting that such a thing as "teaching ability" cannot be easily quantified, but taking on faith that it exists) is distributed among professional teachers along what roughly resembles a bell curve. The most common teacher out there is the person in the middle - that is, most teachers possess an average amount of teaching ability as compared to their peers. There are about as many pretty good teachers as pretty bad ones, and comparatively few and equal numbers of great and terrible ones.

That's not the case the NFL. The most common player out there is the bad - by NFL standards - player. Is the guy who's just above the replacement level, a half-step away from not having a job. That's why NFL careers are so short. Football playing talent (this holds true for all professional sports) is NOT distributed among NFL players along a bell curve. As football playing ability increases in the NFL, the quantity of players with at level of talent decreases (as opposed to teachers, or any sort of bell curve where the quantity increases as you approach the center, THEN decreases). That's because in the NFL, you're dealing with a higher talent pool. The entire pool itself is already at the far right end of the bell curve.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 13:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think it's your analysis that's incorrect. It's when you restrict the analysis to professionals that the reasoning becomes circular. Naturally, if you analyze any profession by comparing only the people in that profession to each other, there will be good, bad, and average practitioners; however, that's not the point. By weeding out well over 99% of the people who aspire and train to be professional football players, the NFL (and other sports leagues) create a very exclusive talent pool. There are, in other words, "bad professional football players," e.g. players who are bad by professional standards, but there are not "bad football players" (or even average ones, or even merely 'good' ones) who ever bcome professionals in the first place.

There are many, many people who teach both professionally and non-professionally; "potential teachers," if you will. The question is, how many who teach get to become paid professionals - quite a few. So many, in fact, that many people who don't do it particularly well get lifelong jobs in the field.

There are many, many people who play football both professionally and non-professionally; only the very best of the best will ever do so in the NFL.

My point is, in fact, supported by your own post about the relatively low barriers to entry in the teaching profession. It's natural that those low barriers to entry result in not-particularly-good professionals.

Even restricting the discussion to those within the profession would support the validity of my point. I'd suggest that the distribution of teaching ability (granting that such a thing as "teaching ability" cannot be easily quantified, but taking on faith that it exists) is distributed among professional teachers along what roughly resembles a bell curve. The most common teacher out there is the person in the middle - that is, most teachers possess an average amount of teaching ability as compared to their peers. There are about as many pretty good teachers as pretty bad ones, and comparatively few and equal numbers of great and terrible ones.

That's not the case the NFL. The most common player out there is the bad - by NFL standards - player. Is the guy who's just above the replacement level, a half-step away from not having a job. That's why NFL careers are so short. Football playing talent (this holds true for all professional sports) is NOT distributed among NFL players along a bell curve. As football playing ability increases in the NFL, the quantity of players with at level of talent decreases (as opposed to teachers, or any sort of bell curve where the quantity increases as you approach the center, THEN decreases). That's because in the NFL, you're dealing with a higher talent pool. The entire pool itself is already at the far right end of the bell curve.

Again, you are dividing football players into NFL employed vs bad, but dividing everyone who teaches anything into good vs bad.

And yes, it was a good quip.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
People who do anything can certainly reasonably be described as doing it well, poorly, with an average degree of skill, etc. and they are most relevantly compared against others who do the same thing. People who are mediocre or bad at teaching may find lifelong employment as teachers. People who play football at a bad or mediocre level don't have a chance in Hades of ever working in the NFL.

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Uncle Rob was "Circular."

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math Teacher to NFL QB (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL