The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Custom Auke Van Dokkum Set (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Ok I'm going to leave this review entirely to the forum for the moment... these are the facts. I ordered a custom set from Auke Van Dokkum after a few members here convinced me that he was "the Lassen of Europe". I sent him 6 matched date soft Morgans and 2 copper crowns to be machined into a shell set (shimmed and tefloned) and a reverse sun/moon (using the single shell and the c/s coin having a steel shim as well) with the copper crown re-milled to fit the shell. It cost me over $45 in shipping to get the coins to the Netherlands and because I was not made aware of the tax rules there Auke had to pay 55 euro to pick up the coins because of the declared value - which I split with him.

Exactly 2 months later to the day after he received the coins my set arrived in the mail. I'll let the images speak for themselves but to illustrate what the images don't show is that the copper/silver coin gets stuck in the shell (the c/s coins is badly misaligned), the shell is missing teflon and shim, and the edge milling is more like light scratches than grooves.

This was a pretty failed experiment in my book. Remind me again that all the "top gaffers" are pretty much of equal quality...?
Have a look at the pics and judge for yourselves...
http://imgur.com/a/XxB4F
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
They ain't all the same.
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Auke also has the reputation for "borrowing" anything he lays his eyes upon, with nary a single scruple.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1577 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Not very nice ideed, I am sorry about your experience. Can you get some refund for not giving you the right/quality gaffed coins?
The only time I got something special done, it was by Tango magic on some philippines coins and I was very satisfied
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I emailed Auke with my feedback and gripes and awaiting a response.
The milling can't be fixed as far as I can tell but a copper silver that doesn't sit like a drunken sailor would be nice O_o
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
786 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I'll always go with Lassen
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
No doubt about it for me - and without steering this into a who's the best gaffer thread, my Lassen rigs are beyond reproach. That said I'm a curious cat and love to see first hand what's out there and who's doing what. I've got work from many gaffers and I was particularly disappointed by these.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
786 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 16:21, lithyem wrote:
No doubt about it for me - and without steering this into a who's the best gaffer thread, my Lassen rigs are beyond reproach. That said I'm a curious cat and love to see first hand what's out there and who's doing what. I've got work from many gaffers and I was particularly disappointed by these.

I tried the schoolcraft way on ell.never again...I'll stick with the one I trust the most now
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1585 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
I was particularly disappointed by these.

What I don't understand is how that CS coin left his workshop that way. I realize you were sending him unique coins so he couldn't just grind down and slap another copper coin on there, but how could he just ignore the misalignment?
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Well, that is money well wasted. Why did you not go with Todd in the first place? You know Todd is good. Was the foreign idea thief supposedly cheaper? Are you seeking sympathy? Should you have known better? Those coins make the home made Dremel crap coin work look good. No Auke anything for me.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
WOW, sorry for your loss, Lithyem. Serious money and time for those results!
Hopefully you can get some compinsation!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Magic Researcher - I DO go with Todd. I love his work, and use his coins daily. I have nearly every gaff he makes and plenty of custom work from him. Like I said I like to collect coin gaffs and see what's out there. I commissioned this set precisely because he is not Todd! People here love to argue that one gaffer is better than another - I prefer to find out first hand. Seeking sympathy? What kind of asinine question is that - I posted this here to share with the community the experience that I had with Auke. Trust me I need nobody's sympathy. How would I have known better - read through the posts that mention Auke and find for yourself that very few people who have an opinion actually provide much info and almost all claim that his work is great - what benchmark they are measuring against I can't imagine.

Banzai - my thought exactly! How did something like that ever leave his shop!?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7051 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have never sent Auke any coin's to make
for me.But I have bought several expanded
and unexpanded shell set's including his
Chinese shell set's and they were of very good quality.
I can't imagine him sending coin's out this way.I'm
sorry you received coin's in this shape.I hope he make's
good on these for you lithyem.
Todd
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Lithyem. I am very grateful to you for showing us this. Obviously Auke Van Dokkum is NOT a master coin gaffer. I have recommended him before. He is now struck from my list and now in my list of "DO NOT BUY".

Doug
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
I also can't believe he let that c/s coin leave the shop like that. Thanks for sharing, I'm also gonna add Auke to my do not buy list. Hope he takes care of this with you...
Customized greatly...
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Bowers - do you recall what the milling was like on the edges of the unexpanded set? Just curious since the milling on these was a joke - more like the lightest scratches that offer zero grip and look strange like a polished edge with thin lines scraped into it.

I'm certainly not trying to burn anyone but I do think folks should know the facts.
Michael
412zad0n
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of 412zad0n
Lithyem,

That sucks man..
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
I've read some good things about his expanded shell sets here in the Café, never seen his work though. I'm sure those expanded sets weren't re-milled of course.

Looks like milling and putting together a c/s coin is not his thing, I wonder if he actually thought you would be satisfied with this work...
Customized greatly...
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
462 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Lithhyem, I can understand why you are not happy with your order; I hope Auke Van Dokkum will take responsibility for those coins.

In the other hand, I have a custom made Three in One Ikes coins made by Auke: cut out coin/shell/xpanded shell. This set of coins are of a very good quality, the re-milled coin and unexpanded shell looks very normal to me.
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
It's decided... I'll never do business with Auke Van Dokkum!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Custom Auke Van Dokkum Set (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.67 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL