The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anderson Silva will never walk properly again. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 15:58, Marlin1894 wrote:
It's just common sense.

Why is that?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Well, first of all I can find you a clip, several clips if you want, of boxers being killed or knocked into comas in 10 seconds. I just saw a clip of a mexican fighter getting knocked into a coma and later dying just a few months ago. Find me some of an MMA fighter getting killed in the ring.

But forget all that. Common sense tells me that boxers take tons more blunt force trauma to the head than MMA fighters do. Why? Because of the restrictions of the sport, the way boxers train to deliver extremely hard blows, and most importantly, because of the GLOVES. Boxers don't wear gloves to protect each others heads. They wear gloves to protect their hands so that they can deliver more and more blunt force trauma to hard parts of the body, such as the head, than they ever could with bare hands or say, 4 oz gloves. Guess what? A rubber mallet to the head will knock you as cold as a steel sledge hammer will.

Also the 10 count and standing 8 counts. When do they give boxers standing 8 counts? When they are damaged/hurt and in danger of going down or getting knocked out. Why? so they can get heir heads together, at least enough to hold their hands up, so that the fight doesn't end there. And the guy who just 8 seconds earlier was getting his head pounded in, can continue fighting and get his head pounded some more with the heavily protected fists of his opponent. Left alone he would probably have been knocked out, or the ref would have been forced to stop the fight, but in the name of "protection" he is allowed to collect himself so he can continue to fight even though 8 seconds earlier he was in danger.

Same with the 10 count. Why do they count to ten? So that a person who has just been knocked silly can try and recover to the point where he can get up and take more blows to the head. MMA fighter get hit in the head, yes, but boxers get there heads pounded much, much, more.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it stands to reason that more padding = more protection, which is why in the interests of safety, boxing has evolved from bare knuckles, to very thin gloves, to bigger gloves. I have a hard time believing that 4 ounces of padding on the gloves means that MMA fighters are more protected than boxers with much more padding.

On the other hand, I think you make good points about the counts.

But there are also differences that suggest to me intuitively that boxing is safer. The fact, for instance, that strikes can only be done with the hands is a big one.

Shorter fights is a safety point in MMA's favor. I think the biggest factor in the overall differences, though, is that there aren't as many MMA fights, and MMA fighters have fewer fights. If and when that changes, I don't think MMA will have the appearance of being safer.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I just to have to respectfully disagree about the gloves. Yes more padding = more protection, but as I said not for the heads, but for the hands. Getting hit with a boxing glove, even a 16 oz glove, is not like getting hit with a pillow. They are hard, they hurt, and they jar the brain housing group something fierce. Particularly when they are being throw by a skilled boxer who knows the technique to deliver hard punches and has also trained for hours and hours on the heavy bag. There are scant few MMA fighters that can hit like true boxers do. Skilled boxers hit incredibly hard. But the techniques that allow boxers to deliver such hard blows are a liability when kicking and takedowns are introduced.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm not saying that getting hit with a 16 ox glove is like getting hit with a pillow, and I'm not saying it doesn't hurt. I'm saying it's better than getting hit with a 4 oz glove.

Boxers are as good as or better than any other martial artists when it comes to strikes with the hands, but they don't throw kicks, knees, or elbows.

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I think it's the amount of abuse that boxers take. It cumulative. The nature of the sports lends itself to repeated blows to the head that add up. Offensively you can only do two things in boxing, punch a person to the head, or punch or to the body. And the fights are often 12 three minute rounds long. A championship MMA bout is 5 five minute long bouts but most of them are 3 five minute rounds. And there is a lot of grabbing, and grappling. Sometimes entire rounds take place on the ground. Boxing is up to 12 rounds of nothing but one punch after another with very little clinching.

John Hopkins published a study in 2008 or 2009 where they determined that head trauma and brain hemorrhages are the leading cause of death in combat sports. And they further determined boxing to be the most dangerous combat sport in America. The Nevada Athletic Commission did a similar study where they directly correlated the padding in boxing gloves, and the amount of blows boxers take on average, to brain damage and cerebral hemorrhages. The most common injuries to the Nevada Athletic Commission in MMA bouts are lacerations to the body/face and broken bones.

But I don't need a doctor to tell me that stuff. I just watch the fights all the time.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Boxing is ok if your winning.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Found a research study of MMA injuries in 2006.

Quote:
INCIDENCE OF INJURY IN PROFESSIONAL MIXED MARTIAL ARTS COMPETITIONS

Gregory H. Bledsoe , Edbert B. Hsu, Jurek George Grabowski, Justin D. Brill and Guohua Li
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Published (online): 01 July 2006
ABSTRACT
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) competitions were introduced in the United States with the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in 1993. In 2001, Nevada and New Jersey sanctioned MMA events after requiring a series of rule changes. The purpose of this study was to determine the incidence of injury in professional MMA fighters. Data from all professional MMA events that took place between September
2001 and December 2004 in the state of Nevada were obtained from the Nevada Athletic Commission. Medical and outcome data from events were analyzed based on a pair-matched case-control design. Both conditional and unconditional logistic regression models were used to assess risk factors for injury. A total of 171 MMA matches involving 220 different fighters occurred during the study period. There were a total of 96 injuries to 78 fighters. Of the 171 matches fought, 69 (40.3%) ended with at least one injured fighter. The overall injury rate was 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations or 12.5 injuries per 100 competitor rounds. Facial laceration was the most common injury accounting for 47.9% of all injuries, followed by hand injury (13.5%), nose injury (10.4%), and eye injury (8.3%). With adjustment for weight and match outcome, older age was associated with significantly increased risk of injury. The most common conclusion to a MMA fight was a technical knockout (TKO) followed by a tap out. The injury rate in MMA competitions is compatible with other combat sports involving striking. The lower knockout rates in MMA compared to boxing may help prevent brain injury in MMA events.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I agree with Marlin on the gloves. Gloves protect your hands, not your opponent. Having been hit with MMA gloves, boxing gloves, and bare knuckles- I'll take the bare knuckles every time.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm kind of surprised by those stats, Magnus, only because I was always told that a broken hand was the most common injury in MMA.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
One more thing: Having taken a lot of neuro classes I can tell you that the most dangerous form of brain injury comes from the head moving in a back and forth motion. That's where the brain is most likely to scrape against the internal ridges of the skull, which can result in a host of problems up to and including death. You're not likely to crack a skull with your hand, knee, or anything else, but you can rattle it.
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 21:35, critter wrote:
I'm kind of surprised by those stats, Magnus, only because I was always told that a broken hand was the most common injury in MMA.

Hand injury was second only to facial lacerations. Makes sense to me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Small or no gloves = more superficial injuries and more blood
big gloves = less blood, longer amounts of time being punched and more brain damage
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
ANY cut is considered an injury.

Which means if you sustain a cut not as bad as one you would get falling down it is lumped in with stitches.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
By the way I agree with Marlin. But do not have statistics to back it up. It might be one of those counter intuitive things. I do not know.

It seems obvious but very well might not be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 15:58, Marlin1894 wrote:
It's just common sense.

I disagree wholeheartedly.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The family of German motor-racing champion Michael Schumacher are at his bedside as he fights for life following a skiing accident in the French Alps.

Good luck to the champ.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-29 00:54, magicfish wrote:

Anderson Silva will never walk properly again.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/dec......recover/

The sight of Anderson Silva’s left leg suffering a vicious break at the conclusion of UFC 168 on Saturday night caused most viewers to squirm, gasp or cover their eyes.

Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s longtime orthopedic surgeon, had a different reaction while sitting cageside at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“The minute it occurred, I’m sitting there going, ‘That’s fixable,'” Sanders said on a conference call Monday afternoon.

Silva likely has several more days in the hospital ahead of him, too, even though he’s shown progress encouraging to Sanders.

“I have seen him up on crutches, and it’s amazing because I don’t know if I would be able to do it that quickly,” Sanders said.

A natural assumption after UFC 168 was that Silva’s fighting days had ended, but Sanders made it sound otherwise. Age will not be a factor in Silva’s recovery, according to Sanders.

If Silva wants to come back — and his constant line of questioning hints a desire — Sanders believes he’ll have the opportunity.

“When the fracture heals, the bone will re-assume and achieve its original strength,” Sanders said.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anderson Silva will never walk properly again. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL