The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ryan Hayashi's ULTIMATE CUPS AND BALLS (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Here is a better quality, shorter version for all those that think it's a bit long. For me this is standing ovation material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZlkqHqw......index=42

Enjoy
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
360 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I’m really glad those candles weren’t lit at the end; I would have probably just quit magic all together. ;o)

That is a planned out routine. It's definitely FISM caliber and truly an ultimate Cups and Balls!
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5044 Posts

Profile of pepka
His sleights are great, but horrible music and WAAAAAY too much posing for cups and balls in your living room. Where else besides video and a magic competition would this act work? Not in my world.
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of Swann101
He has got some nice ideas and moves, but the music was terrible and distracts from the magic!
Russ P.
View Profile
New user
Southern Indiana
32 Posts

Profile of Russ P.
I'm really glad I know where the mute button is.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Yes, this is an old thread, but I only now got to see this performance.

A well planned and choreographed routine! I am impressed! Beautiful manipulation and direction of the audience's attention.
I really liked the longer version better, but both were very well done. Great, unexpected use of a Zombie ball. The candle vanish was the most surprising, as was the champaign flute and bottle. The only thing that I would suggest would be to end by magically popping the cork and pouring a drink. If you can reason out a way to pop the cork, I will truly be impressed!

The only suggestion I would make would be to stop using your body to load the cups. It is a bit of a tell.
Other than that, VERY WELL DONE!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1013 Posts

Profile of imgic
I thought it was great
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
163 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I thought it was technically impressive except for the odd flash. However, I just do not like a show-off performance from any magician. Some of the patter...naaah.
He's great at it though, I'll definitely agree with that.
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
:)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1013 Posts

Profile of imgic
I enjoyed how he choreographed the routine to the music.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24148 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The thing to bear in mind about this routine is that it has ONE purpose and ONE specific audience in mind.

The purpose is to win the competition. The intended audience is a group of convention judges.

He won.

End of story.

Would I do this routine? No. I don't play to those audiences. Could I do it. Probably. But I don't need to, because he has done it.

I like the routine in its context.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ste Fox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Ste Fox
Mr Hayashi can remove the word "ULTIMATE" anytime it's preceded by his own name. Annoying really as I'd never that perforce and my plan to use a smaller set cups inside my larger set...well, it was 'mine'. But of course it wasn't, as such, as it'd been done years ago, although I'd not heard of it or seen anyone else do it. I guess the message is simple, always check Mr Hayashi first.

As a mild aside, why (is why the right word? How? anyway...) is it that some or many of the best performers, such as Mr Hayashi and a favourite of mine Dr Will Houstoun, along with some other luminaries, barely perform magic? At least Dr Houstoun has released some instructional material, but Mr Hayashi seems to keep his material entirely to himself. Which is obviously fine, no one deserves it as such. But as he so seldom performs and, well, until I got in to magic 18 months ago I'd have probably never found out who he is, and even then it took me around a year to discover any of his ULTIMATE work, it seems a shame that more people can't enjoy his creations live. Although I guess there's a bit of 'Look, if you wanted to perform one of Mr Hayashi's ULTIMATE routines it'd take so much skill and practice, that if you're putting that much effort into magic, you should be doing your own routine' to it. I'm guessing here...
MGordonB
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Not sure what you mean by barely performing magic...
Hayashi was on Fool Us this year, and there’s a video of him doing a show at the Magic Castle. You don’t get there by barely performing.
Ste Fox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Ste Fox
To my scant knowledge, in an absolute sense, there's no specific requirement to have ever performed magic to appear either on that show or at that place. He's entered and won a lot of competitions, and performed around the world, but it's not his day job. Having conducted an albeit brief search I can't find any records of ever having toured his own show for consumption by the general public, or enjoyed extended residency anywhere, that's what I meant. From his website:

"Hayashi’s competition history is one of the most extensive in the history of magic and he is well-known in the magic industry across Europe. He works as a lecturer at the University of Mannheim in Germany and travels the world performing as a mentalist, magician and samurai sword expert. He does corporate and private shows, lectures, and gala show performances in all of the world’s major languages."

I should've been clearer, sorry. Obviously he does perform. But he's extremely unlikely to be found doing a fortnight's run at a nearby theatre, our a 5 yr run in Vegas, or whatever. That's what I meant. For instance, there's no tour news, or forthcoming gigs announced on his website. Unlike many or even most magicians of similar or lesser statue. Which means it's pretty unlikely ordinary members of the public get the opportunity to see him perform live. Again, I should've been clearer, apologies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ryan Hayashi's ULTIMATE CUPS AND BALLS (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL