The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Where to Find Duplicate Pirate Handcuff Keys? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Howdy,

I'm not into escapology but I ercently purchased Antique Replica Pirate Handcuffs/Iron Jailor Cuffs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y8G......F8&psc=1

...with a mind toward using them in a "7 Keys to baldpate" style effect.

Does anyone know where I can pick up spare keys? I figured you guys would be the ones to ask! Smile Thanks.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

I think some vintage looking roller skate keys or clock keys could do in a pinch. The spares don't have to actually work but they should look similar to the actual key.

I guess I should also add that I'm looking for a source that's chea... er... economical. Smile
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/

This is the place to start, don't know if they have your exact model, but they do sell lots of different handcuff keys.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Okay. Thanks. I'll check it out. Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you're doing a 7 Keys routine, the keys must all fit in the lock. And if they aren't apparently identical, it'll look as if you knew all along.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-31 16:55, Harley Newman wrote:
If you're doing a 7 Keys routine, the keys must all fit in the lock. And if they aren't apparently identical, it'll look as if you knew all along.

In the presentation I have in mind, it won't matter- because all selections will be made by spectators, with the one correct choice being made not by me but by a volunteer specifically chosen for that job. So it won't matter if they all fit the lock, as long as they don't work. I was thinking of using a ch**** bag so that all the selections are made sight unseen. Keys that look vaguely similar to one another should suffice.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

It turns out the Tim Holtz keys won't work because none of them are close to the size of the real McCoy.

The other objects in the pic (fork, CDs, bar of soap) are there to give a sense of scale. The key measures about 2 1/2" x 1"

Any other ideas? Bear in mind, they don't have to fit anything, just have to be closer in size. If the Tim Holtz clock keys were larger, they might have worked (after painting them black).
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

I still haven't found anything that can pass as relatives of the actual key. If we were still in the horse and buggy age, I guess I could ask a blacksmith to pound out a couple for me! Smile
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
222 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
They look similar to some replica darbys I have, the right sized threaded bar would function as a makeshift key, but you would need to make your own handles, to hold the bar and bridge the key way so that the mechanism lifts and unlocks
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Why not use a different type of handcuff to which duplicate or similar keys can be made?

If all your aim is to have seven keys which look the same and only one of them really works, use a regular police issue cuff. Spare keys are available.

Ian
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, james_unlimited wrote:
They look similar to some replica darbys I have, the right sized threaded bar would function as a makeshift key, but you would need to make your own handles, to hold the bar and bridge the key way so that the mechanism lifts and unlocks

I'm afraid I need a Brit-to-colonist translation here. Smile I don't know what you mean by "darby." I did a Google search but couldn't find anything that shed light.

Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, Ian McColl wrote:
Why not use a different type of handcuff to which duplicate or similar keys can be made?

Because I have a pirate theme in mind.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Do a google search on "Darby handcuffs" search for "images" you will find them easily and quickly.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you wanted the keys to work you would need to know these factors.
• Major Diameter • Minor Diameter • Crest • Thread Angle • Pitch Diameter • Flare • Root • Thickness of Thread • and whether the thread is right or left handed.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:
Do a google search on "Darby handcuffs" search for "images" you will find them easily and quickly.

Ah, okay. Thanks! Smile

Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, jay leslie wrote:
If you wanted the keys to work you would need to know these factors.
• Major Diameter • Minor Diameter • Crest • Thread Angle • Pitch Diameter • Flare • Root • Thickness of Thread • and whether the thread is right or left handed.

Actually I don't want them to work. The idea is for a 7 Keys to Baldpate effect.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I read your second post. "The spares don't have to actually work but they should look similar to the actual key" and I thought "Similar can mean several things"

So I wrote, "If you want the keys to work you would need to know these factors". ... ... ...
That information could be helpful since it's a common occurrence for people to change the effect, the routine or the modus operandi.

Starting a new thread to post the information didn't seem like a better option. Even so, I didn't go into detail. If I did, there would be several more paragraphs. I just gave a quick overview so people could get the idea of why Darby Style keys may look alike but not work alike.

By the way. you're not going to find loose keys like the keys you have. Those keys are only supplied with the cuffs. IF you had a connection in India, then you might be able to buy duplicates. The other option is to look around at swap meets and see if any keys, of that make, are separated from their cuffs. If you just want keys like Clock Keys or Skate Keys then Ebay them. Clock Keys http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p......from=R40
Good luck iwith your search.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Forgot to add, the other six can be made not to work.
albertson
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of albertson
Another idea would be to buy from your Amazon seller their "Vintage Look Lever Lock Padlock W/ Keys Pirate Chest":
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Lever-Padl......_cp_hi_0 .
The old fashion warded lock Keys are very easy to locate.
And the large keyhole would "accept" many types of keys!
Just a thought. Best Regards, Paul
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
But he wants a handcuff.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
It's flogging a dead horse.

I could have keys cast but it comes at a cost. More than the cost of the cuffs and more than the cost in time and effort for this whole folly.

It's the mind set which has to change to solve the problem.

I try to solve problems from working the reverse way, consider which part is the hardest, solve it and then everything else falls into place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Where to Find Duplicate Pirate Handcuff Keys? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL