The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Vintage Prop Help Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mel Yoder
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Mel Yoder
Any Ol Timers out there?Looking for some patter help or history on a normal Die Sucker Box,but the Die has a cross in place of the dots on all four sides.I'm thiking maybe the box was used as the tomb Jesus was placed in.
Also a JOY Box but not like the laundry deterent JOY box that many magicians use today.The gimmick works much like the Strat O Sphere but uses wood blocks with J.O.Y. letters instead of balls.On the outside of the cannon the wood blocks are placed in,there is a smiley face repesenting true joy.I cannot find any information on either of these.

Mel
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
(1) this was originally by Robert E. Utecht. It was featured in February 2013 as the Resurrection Die Box in Dunae Laflin's Grand Magic Magazine#3 (you may be able to get it from his store so send him an e-mail.) Some have pictures of Jesus instead of a cross on each side.

I converted my die box to a cross on each side and also made an open cube to place the gimmick in. The patter is for Easter.

(2) JOY tube - sounds very like the ABC versions of stratosphere / priority balls.

I'd use a patter of looking for true joy, but always making a mess. Then vanish the misplaced letter and reveal "Joy" blocks and the "true joy" picture.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
603 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
At one time Duane was manufacturing and selling the die box with the cross on the die (or at least modifying an exsisting die box) Post a pic and I can tell you if it's the one.

Sheldon Rhoads may have been the one manufacturing the JOY blocks - that's what strikes me anyhow.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I don't know the history or maker of the Cross Die Box, but it sounds like it would be used for the Resurrection story. My die was the exact size of a Rubiks's cube so I substituted the cube for the die and bought an extra cube and took the stickers off to use on the gimmick. I use the cube to represent Christ. I also have a larger box and die which operates a bit differently than the smaller, and I made my own stickers for both die and gimmick.

Since you asked about patter help, this is what I share. Nothing new here except maybe using the cube and the colors. All six colors point to something that relates to Christ. White = purity, green = eternal life, blue = loyalty ("true blue" in that He always did the will of the Father, red = shed blood, purple= Kingly color of robes (King of Kings), and a bright flourescent color = light (Light of the world). So I use the cube to talk about Christ, place it in the hat to show he lived in the world, perforrmed miracles, and eventually was crucified. I take the cube out and place it in the box representing HIs body being placed in the empty tomb. Then I have by-play about the cube being gone and how Christ's body was gone but some people didn't believe it just as they don't believe the cube has vanished. I also talk about how if Christ isn't risen from the dead Chriatians are the most miserable of all people.

It appears that the trick/illustration is a dismal failure or very poor at best, so when the cube is finally shown to be completely gone and reappears from the hat (Christ appearing to Mary), people are taken back and it seems that the message really sinks in.

I know some won't like my presentation, but hey, it works for me and has for a long, long time!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Mel Yoder
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Mel Yoder
Ok,I have been reciving such great information from you all.I tried to down load a picture.Hope this works.

Mel
Mel Yoder
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Mel Yoder
Try it one more time if this dosen't work at least we tried.Thank again.
Mel
Mel Yoder
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Mel Yoder
I really like this patter sent in by Ralph.Also like the idea of the cross on each side.
Mel

I put into one of the gospel forums - a routine using the Die box(painted gray) as the tome - Die was Jesus(doves insted of dots)- Hat decorated with Maps, as the WORLD- and a Cross with a shelf on it to hold Die shell befor it was put into TOMB(die box) and found back into the World(Hat) - then Die(Jesus) could be vanished (back) into the KINGDOM by using a (Blue?) devils Hank- also sucker effect is used to show or Lords dissapearance as people thought His body was stolen -but he arose - (found in the Hat)
Mel Yoder
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Mel Yoder
I am learning to use this form.Sorry for any inconvenance.Picture is shrunk.Should go throu this time.

Mel
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Mel,

If you contact David Laflin @lafinmagicstore.com, he'll give you a heads
up of exactly what you have and, more than likely, email you the routine for
the gospel die box. You can also check out Duane's Laflin Magic vimeo.com videos, as he
offers routines and explanation videos as well.

Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Vintage Prop Help Please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL