The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Important information to say to a client (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
A potential client saw your website and calls you to receive more information,
he obviously like what he saw but doesn't sure if your show is the right entertainment for his event.

my question is what do you tell to a client over the phone?
what do you think it is important for him to know and what can improve your chances to be booked?

for the record I say:
*the show is interactive, the guests are always involved in the magic, and some effects are done with their objects.
*my goal is that everybody will have a lot of fun and will be amazed
*they not only will be amazed but will laugh a lot.
*the show can be adapt to the conditions and the theme of the party, the tricks are carefully selected to fit the event.
*i carry a full sound system.
*i say few words about myself.

thank you
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I tell them nothing ... at first. I ask them lots. What they tell ME will guide the discussion.

I start with "Tell me a little about your event" and "You looked at my website; were there any questions you have for me?"

I try to find their "hot button". What do they want or need? A sound system may not be important to them in the least. Audience involvement may not be a priority. It's like the guy at the hardware store selling me on the benefits of their new paint, but I came into the store for a rake! They may have the best paint in the world, but if it's not what I want he is wasting time telling me about it.

I try to find out WHY they came looking for me, and go from there.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Thank you, your answer is very useful and I like your approach, I should mention that I tell about my show only after I got a description of the event.

have you found some common information that you feel helps to mention?
for example I did find out that many times a client was happy to know that the show is interactive.

what would you say if the person admitted he has not seen any of your videos, just called you after arriving to your landing page?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Starrpower gave a great start. Find one or two areas of interest and provide detailed examples of how your show will accommodate their desires in a unique way. For example if it sounds like they would appreciate an interactive show, then explain why your show has a unique way of creating interaction with the audience. If the example is demonstrated in a video, then use that to support your story. Otherwise, your goal is to book your show, not have them view your videos.
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
It would be very important as well to find out the make-up of your audience, backgrounds, age, interests and how they will be dressed. I would also like to know if there is one special person or persons to seek out as part of a performance. For instance, you may wish to involve the CEO in a trick that would highlight his/her skills as a mind-reader or predictor. Make them look good in front of others and they will not forget you.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1). Put yourself in his shoes when you are about to purchase a product. What would a salesperson say that will get your interest?

2). For me, I would offer a discount if they would pay the discount before the end of the day. Remember, they don't know what the fee is yet anyway. Smile

3). It depends on the part of the season. If it is during the season where I receive a lot of bookings, I would not put so much thought into it.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-03 20:57, Dynamike wrote:
2). For me, I would offer a discount if they would pay the discount before the end of the day. Remember, they don't know what the fee is yet anyway. Smile

You do realize, don't you, that everyone who "Googles" your name can see that post. You just implied that your pricing is not exactly honest.

Bazinga!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Whatever fee you mention to your client is being honest. It will be dishonest by telling him a different fee from what you told him before.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Maybe I misunderstood. It read to me like you offer your customer a discount of a price you just mentally raised by that same amount. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Bazinga!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
To me it is unfair to charge individuals different prices judging them by their income.

If a performer who experiments with his prices is not wrong.

Rasing prices, next offering a discount happens a lot in stores. The prospects has a choice of accepting the deal or not. Some people do not want to pay me for my regular fees. A certain culture beg discounts from me on a normal basis.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-03 21:50, Dynamike wrote:
To me it is unfair to charge individuals different prices judging them by their income.

Agree 100%

Bazinga!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you want to be drilled with a ton of questions when buying a service (
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I disagree with Mike. If a poor family wants a party and can't afford my usual rate I will discount by as much as a third. Just like the culture that asks for discounts, I raise my price so I can discount it to my usual fee. Some of these people are doctors and university professors that can afford it but the culture demands they ask for one. I play their game.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 02:35, Paddy wrote:
I raise my price so I can discount it to my usual fee.

Sorry Paddy. That's just unethical, possibly illegal, and in any case now that the whole world can see what you just said... it's a stupid thing to put in writing.

Bazinga!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Bazinga you and Mike are WRONG. Nothing illegal about it. The East Indian community, rich with entrepreneurs, Doctors, Engineers, etc ALWAYS ask for a discount and will go to some one else who will give them a $25 discount. I know I am the best performer why give a show away to poorer performes.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 00:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you want to be drilled with a ton of questions when buying a service

Haha! You're right, of course. I did not choose my words carefully when I wrote that "I ask them lots". What I meant was I find out what they need before "selling" them on benefits that they may not care about. I certainly hope that after all the years I have been doing this, the information I need is obtained via natural conversation and does not appear to be an interrogation!

I suspect that you of all people would agree that it's not wise to start selling until you know what someone needs/wants.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course it is and it was not really you I was asking. It was a greater "you" sort of deal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Paddy,

Let me get this straight because I don't want to rile you any more than I already did.

You have a price of $XXX, and that price is either published or otherwise known in your performing area. Someone calls you and asks for a $25 discount. You tell him you'll give it to him, but before you quote "his" price you mentally add $25 so you can then subtract it to make him think he gets the discount but you're really getting your regular price.

Do I have that right?

If I do have that right, that might not be illegal. I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it should be illegal. And if it's not, it is definitely unethical.

Note that I am not calling you unethical or saying you do anything illegal. I'm talking about the scenario I wrote out just above. I only asked if that's what you do.

Bazinga!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Anyone can charge anything they want. Raising a price in anticipation of giving in is what negotiation is all about.

Having said that, I agree that if a customer would find out that you were manipulating your pricing for your advantage, and offering a "discount" that is in fact not, I doubt it would make you look good.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-05 11:57, Starrpower wrote:

Having said that, I agree that if a customer would find out that you were manipulating your pricing for your advantage, and offering a "discount" that is in fact not, I doubt it would make you look good.

You are correct. Why risk your gigs? You will lose a lot of business. How will you like it if anyone did it to you? Play it safe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Important information to say to a client (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL