The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Default Behavior/ Persona (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
When you watch Slydini, you come to understand that much of his magic comes about from his basic position, his casual quarter turn in the chair, with one hand on the table and one in his lap. He makes his most "sly" position the one that we accept as his most innocent resting position.

I'm wondering what others have done with this aspect of their performances. Do you identify your most vulnerable moments and then create your performance style from there?
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Well, around this time of year I always use the cold as a misdirection or excuse from/for my secret moves. I put my hands in my pockets whilst going"BRR!", I wear a large heavy coat that holds my loads, I fidget and dance around to cover my steals, I lampshade how cold it is to do magic in and how my sleights are getting really bad because my dexterity is shot- but that's only in the winter.

In warmer weather I always wear a vest with two front pockets that I put some small loads in- I tuck my thumbs in the pockets when I'm idle. I also have the tendency to dance around a bit and spin in circles while loading larger things from my pants pockets.
When I have a sitting gig, I always sit all my loads on my lap and I put my hands on my mid thighs when I'm just sitting around.

That's all I can think of besides incessant talking.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
That's fun to read. I'm experimenting with a bit where I give the wand to an audience member and direct them in moving balls from cup to cup. The first time they say "abracadabra" I yell "ow", shake my hand, and tell them they missed the cup. That gives me a reason to stand to one side - out of harm's way - and manage loads while directing attention to the table.

I hope other will share their maneuvers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Default Behavior/ Persona (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL