The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AT THE TABLE: LIVE Michael Ammar just $1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
ace1323
View Profile
New user
CT
20 Posts

Profile of ace1323
Agree here as well.
I really like the online lecture format and making performers available to us. However with these now starting up as well, I am curious as to what level of duplication may be seen. Will Danny Garcia's have different enough material from his not that long ago penguin lecture to make it not feel like you're paying for the same thing twice? same concern with Jason England and Jon Armstrong coming up.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
It was a nice contrast to the penguin style. I think there is plenty of room for both and I liked it a lot.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
I liked it a lot...But not for $25. I liked the interview style with stories etc and the quality was fantastic. I can live with these for $15 , once a month.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
I was surprised by the very large amount of time given to audience questions, especially given the comparatively short running time overall.

I'd prefer the lecture to be thoughtfully shaped by the lecturer and/or the skilled facilitator, rather than by Joe Random watching at home.
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
I subscribed to the lecture as per the $1 offer. I wasn´t able to login on the night and I am still not able to login now to watch the lecture.
How do I get a password please. I have emailed using the links on the original email and within the Vannishing Ink website.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Kinda surprised by the negative comments on this. There was GOLD in this lecture. I actually loved the talk show format, a nice contrast to the Penguin series (which I love also). Some amazing advice. I thought the serial number trick was fantastic. Plus the insights were just great. I don't know. Maybe it's my age but these days I'd rather see a handful of really good tricks and hear loads of great advice.

As far as the two hour format goes... I think the 4 hour plus lectures are great on video because you can break them up and watch them in segments at your leisure. But in real life, two hours is about right for a live lecture. My live lecture is just under two hours and I still manage to cover about 11 tricks. Anything more than that and the audience gets restless. So maybe they are trying to emulate a real life lecture experience with the two hour format... Either way, yes it leaves you wanting for more but two hours is still two hours.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 08:26, Cameron Francis wrote:
I thought the serial number trick was fantastic. Plus the insights were just great. I don't know. Maybe it's my age but these days I'd rather see a handful of really good tricks and hear loads of great advice.

I would have paid $30.00 just for the serial number trick. I really only had the chance to watch that part because of the problem of logging in, but I will download the whole lecture.

But from what I did watch, it was great. Was it me, or does he say "You Know" quite often?

Phil
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Has anybody tried to put this on their iPad?

I am flying out to Vegas tomorrow and thought this would be great to watch on the way. ITunes tells me it can not be played on the iPad. I have put some Penguin lectures on my iPad with no problem. And they are both MP4 format.

Thanks
Phil
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Frankly, after seeing some of the recent Penguin lectures (Giobbi, in particular) -- I think the Ammar lecture should have been twice the length. Penguin, as far as I'm concerned, has set the bar -- both for the overall quality but also for the bang for the buck content.

Having said that, I think this particular Ammar lecture was fantastic -- but, honestly, I was expecting a bit more.

Finally, I think Penguin (especially) or these new outfits ought to not only offer the downloads (which they already do, of course) -- but also some sort of brief index of the lecture contents (after the lecture). Nothing detailed -- but maybe a 10 or fifteen point document that outlines the major themes along with the times. I realize this takes a bit of effort of Penguin's part -- but I hate to think of having all this material and then realizing -- two, three years from now -- that virtually none of the material was documented.

And if other outfits plan to charge $25 -- a bit expensive, I think -- then they *definitely* should add the index. This would increase the value and make the post-lecture index a pretty compelling reason to spend the money.
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
BTW -- Penguin would really go over the top if they went back to all of their older lectures over the past two years (or however long they've been going on) and add this brief index to the download for each lecture. Again -- incredibly time consuming -- but -- wow -- it would be a fantastic way to reference the material.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
I enjoyed the download. I particularly liked Michael's analysis of his performance on Letterman
and the pitfalls that await those who come on this show.
Michael referred to Letterman's lack of respect for magicians compared to the late Johnny Carson.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 09:26, Merlin wrote:

I am flying out to Vegas tomorrow and thought this would be great to watch on the way. ITunes tells me it can not be played on the iPad. I have put some Penguin lectures on my iPad with no problem. And they are both MP4 format.

Thanks
Phil

I couldn't get it on my iPad either using iTunes. There is often Apple weirdness involving MP4 and M4V files. I wound up transferring it with Goodreader, which, although primarily known as a PDF reader, will import and play just about anything. I'd try that or VLC player, which is free.
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 11:39, bugjack wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 09:26, Merlin wrote:

Thanks
Phil

I couldn't get it on my iPad either using iTunes. There is often Apple weirdness involving MP4 and M4V files. I wound up transferring it with Goodreader, which, although primarily known as a PDF reader, will import and play just about anything. I'd try that or VLC player, which is free.

Thanks, I will look into both.

Phil
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I haven't watched the Ammar lecture yet…looking forward to it.

However, my wife got me a 6 months Penguin subscription 1 1/2 years ago for my birthday… and I still haven't cancelled it. : )

I do like the camaraderie of attending a lecture, but from a strictly learning perspective, these are great.

(and unlike a lecture that I attend, if I forget something, I can go back and watch it again!)
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Great lecture and the tech worked amazingly. Crystal clear teaching and picture quality.

Kudos to all involved.

Si
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Indexing (for penguin live, and for at the table) would be great, but I do it myself in a spreadsheet, a tab for each lecture.
The great thing about that is that you can personalise it, add a description, a rating of how much you liked it, plus any notes you want to make. If you make this index as you watch each lecture then it doesn't take too much extra time.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I finally got a chance to see the lecture, although it seemed more like an interview with demonstrations. I thought Ammar was great as always, but I didn't really care for the talk show like format. I'll probably be skipping the rest of this series, although I really would like to see John Armstrong lecture again. I would also like to see Jason England, but I'll be catching his Penguin lecture.

Robert
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Concerning the iPad playback, there apparently is an issue with the video plug-in which is causing iPads not to view the lecture right now. This was something that WAS WORKING a few days ago....but apparently, Flash Macromedia may have rolled out an update which broke the playback function on the iOS.

This is why (at the current moment) iPads are not able to view the lecture. It's certainly not permanent. The developers are currently working on this, and we hope that it gets resolved early this week.

All PC's should still be able to access the lecture without any problems. If there are any MJM Magic customers that are having password issues or anything else, just contact us through our website, and we're available to assist. The feedback we have been hearing from our customers has been overwhelming positive. I cannot wait until the next one in just a few short weeks!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
hofzincerely
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of hofzincerely
I thought this was great. Everything worked seamlessly and the picture quality was fantastic. Those comparing the format to Penguin should be thankful as it's great that they are doing something original instead of cloning Penguin's format of just letting lecturers speak for as many hours as they want!

All in all, I am very impressed with how this worked. They have clearly thought about the technical stuff here and it all worked perfectly.
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of kazpet
I found the show very entertaining. Yes it is a different format and some may not like it. But that is why they provided the first episode for $1 to get the maximum feedback.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AT THE TABLE: LIVE Michael Ammar just $1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL