The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fire insert (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Had the chimmney guy out to clean the fireplace and was told to not light any more fires until it is fixed. He recommended a fire insert. I'd get wood burning with a fan. They say it is very efficient and generates a lot of heat. They want $6k installed.

anyone ever had this done. Was it worth it? is $6k a decent price? Any info would be appreciated.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
I do not have the insert but an actual free vent blowing wood burner I use to heat my house. I do know that a top of the line wood burner fire insert should only cost around $2,600 to $3,000. So they want to charge you approximately $3,000 for installation. Don't know where you live but I find that price a little high. Are they just putting in the insert and that's it? If so- I believe this price is a little high. If they are doing some chimney work along with the insert then it's a good price. I believe with the inserts you need to run a "liner" up the chimney. Did they mention that? I will say the free vent does heat my house relatively well. Though- the room it's blowing in get's VERY hot and in my case we cannot use that room when I am burning full tilt. I recently added some gravity vents in room above and it helps but still get's crazy hot in the room where the burner is. I do know that burners and inserts are very efficient. I save approximately $1,500 a year on my oil bill (I have an oil furnace). I also love wood heat- it's just seems more dense than any other heat.

I do know when they install the inserts- they basically "fit" (slide) the unit in and that's it. It is heavy so I understand some of the costs for installation but $3,000 worth- seems a little high unless that includes the liner installation and liner.

Happy Fire Burner hunting!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Yes, it includes the liner. The problem was I had some gaps in my mortar which is a fire hazard. The remedy was either rip out some glazed creosote (much more expensive) or install the insert with the liner. So it includes all of that.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If you don't know the chimney people really well, I would get a second opinion.
Fireplace repair/cleaning people aren't on the top of the list for being honest service people.
Many have been ripped off this way.

Tom
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 20:00, TomBoleware wrote:
If you don't know the chimney people really well, I would get a second opinion.
Fireplace repair/cleaning people aren't on the top of the list for being honest service people.
Many have been ripped off this way.

Tom

Yes. Very true. Definitely get a second and a third opinion!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I know the fireplace people. My partner's son used to work for them, so they are reputable
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fire insert (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL