The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Your Reputation- have you guarded it with your life? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I am a creator who releases some stuff through other companies and some things on my own. And I take my customer service very seriously. I started my website about five years ago and since then have built up a small but very loyal following. It's not a very sexy site (working on fixing that) but people who purchase from me know that they will get tricks that are workable in the real world and they'll get them in a timely fashion. You can't please everyone but when someone is not satisfied with what they've purchased through me, I will always try to find a way to make them happy. Having said that, it is very, very rare that I get a negative email about my products.

Here's an exchange that you'll never read on the magic Café:

I post about an exciting new product that I have for pre-order, the Cameron Francis Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle. It will be released in two weeks. The Café is a buzz about it. 60 posts of excited anticipation.

After a month and a half, someone posts, "I pre-ordered the Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle from Cameron when he first announced it. He said it was going to be released a month ago? What gives? He hasn't returned any of my emails."

180 more posts of complaints later, I post: "I am truly sorry I have not sent out the Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle yet. I have been waiting on one special component: Elmer's Glue. The Elmer's glue has finally arrived and all of the envelopes are on my living room floor, ready to go. Everything will be shipped out tomorrow. I am sorry it has taken so long. But I needed Elmer's Glue."

3 posts praising my honesty and 10 more posts of excited anticipation. Then, over the course of the next month, 347 more hacked off posts that nothing has shown up in anyone's mailbox.

Finally, I come back on: "I am sorry it has taken so long for these to ship. The envelopes are on my living room floor, ready to go. They will be shipped out tomorrow. My cat died. It's been a rough month."

10 posts of sympathy about my dead cat. Another month goes by. No one receives their Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle. 254 more angry posts.

Finally, I post, "I understand that people are upset. The envelopes are on my living room floor, ready to be shipped. They will be mailed out tomorrow. It's been a rough few months. My wife died and my cat left me."

20 posts of sympathy about my died wife and missing cat. Then 50 posts of people speculating about how the Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle actually works.

1 post asking about the new Dani Da Ortiz DVD. 3 posts berating the guy asking about Dani Da Ortiz for being an idiot and posting in the wrong thread.

Then 482 posts about how I should be drawn and quartered for ripping people off.

Finally, I come back on, "I really don't understand why people are so upset. I gave refunds to everyone who asked for them."

48 people post saying that they asked for a refund but never got one.

I respond, "Well, I never got any of your requests. Besides, I shipped out the Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle months ago and have gotten nothing but praise for it. One guy loved it so much, he's going to name his first child after me. So I really don't understand the problem here. This place is crazy. There are only, like, three people who never received their Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle."

65 people post saying they pre-ordered but never got the trick. I get death threats. The thread is locked.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
But Cameron... What about the Wonder Vanish .2 I hear it is even better?
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

It's coming out next week! Only $250! Pre-order NOW!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Well, I normally don't do preorders! But I AM IN!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

www.rfaproductions.com
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
I have bought from Cameron and his site and was super pleased with the service and communication. Thanks for being a good guy. And Talented too...
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2014-01-07 13:42, booswain wrote:
I have bought from Cameron and his site and was super pleased with the service and communication. Thanks for being a good guy. And Talented too...

Uh yeah.... Boo... Yer a lil late on this one...

www.rfaproductions.com
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
Not sure what you mean Doomo.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
Everyone is so testy lately...it must be the full moon
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Quote:
Finally, I post, "I understand that people are upset. The envelopes are on my living room floor, ready to be shipped. They will be mailed out tomorrow. It's been a rough few months. My wife died and my cat left me."

THAT really did made me laugh Smile

You have a loyal following for a good reason Cameron. Keep doing what you're doing because you're doing the right thing.

PS:
Is 'Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle' similar to 'Wonder-Vanish-Almost-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle'?

I'm assuming that 'Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle' is an independent creation.

Lar.
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Quote:
On 2014-01-07 10:17, Cameron Francis wrote:

I post about an exciting new product that I have for pre-order, the Cameron Francis Wonder-Vanish-Anything-Gimmick-That-Only-Looks-Good-From-One-Angle. It will be released in two weeks. The Café is a buzz about it. 60 posts of excited anticipation.

Cameron, you really need to come up with an acronym for that.
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
Does anyone have the new Dani Da Ortiz DVD?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Jamie D. Grant is one of my most favorite persons, ever! I hold him in the highest regard. To me, he has an amazing reputation.

In terms of this thread, I think it should read "Your Character-have you guarded it with your life?", right? John Wooden said “Your reputation is who people think you are, your character is who you really are.” Of course, reputation is also important from a commercial standpoint (if your reputation is tarnished, for example, no one wants to do business with you)---but character is all about who you really are, and your truthful actions, even in the presence of no company. It's about being true to yourself and living in a way that respects the "doing the right thing" approach at all times.

Having said all of this, I very much admire the fact that Jamie D. Grant has started this thread. I think we are saying the same thing. Just wanted to make the distinction of character vs. reputation, that's all.

Regards,
Mike
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 17:38, Titanas wrote:
Sometimes I wish the Café had a "Like" button.
Best regards,
Titanas

I agree but for a few keyboard button presses we have;

:thumbsup: -"thumbsup" with colons on both ends
:applause: -"applause" with same
:cheers: - "cheers" with same

The rest of the codes for icons are here; http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php#smilies
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thanks, guys, for the kind and funny words. Smile

In all seriousness, this is a very cool thread. Gives us all something to ponder.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 14:36, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
For whatever reason, I've been getting a lot of PMs and e-mails lately asking what I think of this or that new effect. And to be honest, I haven't been buying a lot of new stuff so I'm not really qualified to give advice on a lot of it. But I always ask this:

"Do you trust the creator?"

And I think this is something that may have been forgotten along the way a bit. As a creator myself, I'm not out to sell a product. I'm out to build a relationship. And, if I do my job right, I'll form a bond with my client/customer which will save me a lot of marketing building later on. The more I'm trusted, the more sales I'll have and the happier we'll all be. And that's my end game. To make people happy. Because, not only on the morale side but on the mercenary side as well, happy people will pay my bills (it's also cool to make happy new friends). It's just a better system. So, on that note, there is a question for all the creators out there, as well:

"What is your reputation like?" and have you guarded it with your life? Because, in my mind, that's how important it is.

~jamie

As a creator myself, I'm not out to sell a product. I'm out to build a relationship. And, if I do my job right, I'll form a bond with my client/customer which will save me a lot of marketing building later on. The more I'm trusted, the more sales I'll have and the happier we'll all be. And that's my end game. To make people happy.

Bang on the money Jamie,so nice to read a good comprehensive positive thread with real meaning in the words instead of all this clap trap of bickering which is going on in a few other thread's,full moon as someone has mentioned,lol,all the best. Shane
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 14:36, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
For whatever reason, I've been getting a lot of PMs and e-mails lately asking what I think of this or that new effect. And to be honest, I haven't been buying a lot of new stuff so I'm not really qualified to give advice on a lot of it. But I always ask this:

"Do you trust the creator?"

And I think this is something that may have been forgotten along the way a bit. As a creator myself, I'm not out to sell a product. I'm out to build a relationship. And, if I do my job right, I'll form a bond with my client/customer which will save me a lot of marketing building later on. The more I'm trusted, the more sales I'll have and the happier we'll all be. And that's my end game. To make people happy. Because, not only on the morale side but on the mercenary side as well, happy people will pay my bills (it's also cool to make happy new friends). It's just a better system. So, on that note, there is a question for all the creators out there, as well:

"What is your reputation like?" and have you guarded it with your life? Because, in my mind, that's how important it is.

~jamie

Darwin Ortiz has written about this. For me, it's about trusting authors.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Your Reputation- have you guarded it with your life? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL