The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New from Alakazam (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys

Many years ago I started Alakazam Magic with nothing more than a small case full of Rob Bromley products. I have always been impressed with Robs creations and unparalleled craftsmanship. So I'm proud to say Alakazam Magic have secured the rights to Robs incredible effects.

The first release in this range is Simplex Monte.

http://youtu.be/gMpjRnYqUfs

Simplex Monte is due for release on the 17th of January
Best Regards

Peter
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Looks like an awesome version of Monte! Really nice.

If Bromley made it you know it must be perfection.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
I agree, this looks FAAAANTASTIC in every way!

...Sans the flashing video edits.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
When I had a shop I used to sell some of his products and they were exceptionally made.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Got to say ,yes that Monte doe's look the biz .
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Oh Dear God... when will it STOP!! I don't care if Paul Harris, Michael Ammar and Eugene Burger somehow brought Houdini, Vernon and Marlo back to life, locked themselves into a hotel room for a year and released their collaboration to Penguin's 'cool box' for 35 cents. If the teaser trailer for said effect looked like this, I wouldn't buy it. In fact, I will never buy another trick with such a obnoxious, ridiculously over-produced trailer. It's almost offensive at this point.

Is this product...

A) A well thought out, multi-phase routine that utilizes a spiffy new kind of card gimmick? If so, show us the whole routine. Heck- if you want to include some light jazz or classical music in the background, knock yourself out.

B) A neat card gimmick that looks really cool, but needs to be 'reset' with somewhat awkward, unnatural fiddling before being used again? If so, show us the gimmick in action, but throw in shaky camera effects, generic techno noise and multiple headache inducing edits, one after the other to make it look a lot better than it is.

Sad thing is that this item could very well fall into category 'A', but we'll never know- because someone's high-school aged nephew was given Adobe After Effects for Christmas.

Ugh.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Calvin

You actually see me set the gimmick during the trailer. There is no prior set up. It's instant reset.
The DVD comes with a few routines and handling tips.
The gimmick allows the queen to be seen and then vanish at your command. The trailer shows that perfectly.

Best Regards

Peter
gimmickless
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of gimmickless
I like it very much
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Why not show the whole routine? Its clearly a cool gimmicked card that we would need to buy anyway.
Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas is my go to 3 Card Monte, it kills and... You can see the whole routine online.
Simplex Monte looks interesting, love to see more of the routine.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I too, found the trailer irritable with the flashes - not a style issue, just kind of hard on my eyes.

Anyway...

I find the effect interesting because at times it reminded me of a method that I don't care for, but there were other times when I thought it may be something different.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Visually, it looks great - I'm just concerned about the orientation in the demo...

traditional monte has the three cards horizontal, rather than vertically held like in the vid...
I've asked to be banned
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Congratulations to Peter for bringing out the first pre-order of 2014 !

In this day and age why can't a dealer just bring out and effect on the day it's ready to ship

All this pre order and poorly edited demo's are getting on my nerves
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Iain,

As a magician things like that stand out to us like a sore thumb but I doubt a spectator would ever notice. Most have never heard of 3 card Monte, let alone seen anyone perform it.

Regards

Peter
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
This looks like the JB magic (Blink gimmick) being used for a monte effect.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2014-01-06 16:58, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Iain,

As a magician things like that stand out to us like a sore thumb but I doubt a spectator would ever notice. Most have never heard of 3 card Monte, let alone seen anyone perform it.

Regards

Peter

I'll have to be cheeky here sir, and disagree with you on that one...especially in london...you can walk 20 minutes easy and find 3 card and 3 disc montes being played all along london bridge and covent garden in various formats...

does have great visuals though...
I've asked to be banned
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of jcroop
I have to agree with Iain. I didn't like the vertical orientation of the cards, either.

Although all of the transformations were (obviously) quite visual, it was only the segment at about 1:00 into the trailer that I felt the orientation of the cards made sense.

I know some might say it doesn't matter, but I suspect most spectators would never hold cards in that manner and would find it unusual.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
As you can probably tell from my accent I'm no stranger to London and I can honestly say I've never seen the 3 card monte performed in the streets. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (because I suspect it does) but I've never seen it in my 45 year on this earth and I expect many people haven't.

But that's by the by. If the effect doesn't sit right with you, it wouldn't be right for me to try and talk you In to it. As a performer we need to be comfortable with the effects we perform and thus must choose wisely.

Regards

Peter
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I've seen the 3 card monte a lot in London particularly Leicester Square and Covent garden and Picadilly circus. Currently the 3 shell game is doing the rounds too particularly around the London Eye. I would agree that anyone that spends a lot of time or works in the West End will have seen the 3 card monte and the 3 shell game.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Bought this years ago from Andrew Normansell who also does a jumbo plastic coated version . Great visuals can't be examined and yes unusual display sequences . I still like it a lot though .
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Looks very visual. Does it come with any kind of wallet to ring in and switch out the gimmick? Given the visual nature of the changes, examinability is going to be a key factor. For example, I recently bought Shaun Robinson's Money Card. It comes with a sweet little timber wallet made from newspaper print tyvek type paper. Fits the theme of the monte and handles the switch nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New from Alakazam (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL