The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best books of 2013 - no contest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
This is not a contest. Just a place to write about your favorite books of 2013. Please write the title of the book in CAPITAL LETTERS so it's easy to see, and if you want, tell a little about it to inform those that may be on the fence about getting it or not. I'll start.

THE APPROACH - by Jamie D. Grant.
This book is like a private lesson in magic. You know when you read a book and you're trying to get down a sleight of hand move and it's just not working? Then someone comes along and tells you to move your pinky finger over to the left a little and all of a sudden an epiphany happens and the move becomes yours. This book is all about little pinky moves. It's about the advice in building, practicing and selling your act to become a strolling magician, although it can be adapted to other venues as well with a little thinking. This is one of the best books I've seen on the subject because it not only tells you WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, it tells you HOW TO DO IT. Very few books divulge the HOW. Jamie also gives you why he does what he does so that you can also decide if this will work for you.

MAGICTALES 2 - Leslie Melville.
This is Leslie's follow up book to Magictales. In fact, he also has a hard cover edition that contains both Magictales and Magictales 2. I've seen Leslie perform many times at the Inner Circle of Bizarre Magick's Gathering of the Magi conventions. Leslie has a very poetic way of performing. His blend of story and magic are...well, magical. I've seen him take some simple standards of magic and bring smiles to the audiences watching him. He takes this magic and makes it highly entertaining and just a joy to watch and be a part of. These books are part of Leslie's legacy. And it's a far cry from the patter based magic that you would find in Tarbell. I highly recommend these.

CONFIDENT DECEPTIONS - Jason Ladayne.
I don't actually own this book yet. This past weekend I took some sleight of hand lessons from Jason and had a chance to look at the book AFTER experiencing a portion of his personal lessons. First, the book is beautifully done with glossy pages and big color pictures. Key here. His pictures show you angles that you need to know. Again, it's that "move your pinky to the left" type of thing. I would have picked up the book from him then and there, but didn't have enough cash on hand. I will be picking it up at the next session of lessons. Keep in mind that I didn't spend too much time with the book, but based on what I saw in the book, what Jason taught me sleight wise, and him talking about his thought process in building effects, this is definately bound to become one of the classics of card magic and one that set the bar for other books to follow. It will be in my library shortly.

THE COMPLETE ALTAR FLAME - edited by Mary Tomich
For the fans of the bizarre, The Altar Flame was a periodical that helped define a genre of magic. Very few have a complete volume of loose issues. Mary has taken all issues and bound them in one big volume. Contained within are effects from the legendary practioners of bizarre magick, Larry Baukin, Brother Shadow, Picard just to name a few. If you have any interest in bizarre magick, this needs to be in your library.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
THE APPROACH - Jamie D. Grant.
This was the only book I purchased this year and it has transformed my magic and my business. It has changed what I purchase and what I add to my working set. It has taught me how to handle my magic as a business and it has defined what I want to do in my magic as a performer. This book doesn't read like a VCR manual. It is a enjoyable read. I don't remember a book I've read that had a huge impact on me being a magician and an entertainer. Definitely one of my favorite books ever. Oh and "The Secret" works.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well, I have been purposefully staying away from the controversy surrounding this year's award since I was the person who tried to facilitate it for 2011 and 2012. I think it's best that I don't get involved. But, what I am worried about is whether the existence of two threads - even though one is not the "award" thread will or might cause some conflict?

Best,
Vlad
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
No worries here. As award facilitator this year, I see no problem at all with this thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best books of 2013 - no contest (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL