The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matchbox Mystery (Brass) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Danny's version is exactly the one I have and it's definetly the best one around. Sorry to see half of these are no good. I think someone should be checking these befor they go out. Nothing worse than waiting for a magic trick, getting it and its crap.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Dave: You don't have to pay anything or ship it back. I'll send you a new one today! Email me at acar@penguinmagic.com

That goes for anyone else. I said I personally guarantee these, that's a promise I don't take lightly.
Fate en Versos
View Profile
New user
Sin City, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Fate en Versos
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 17:08, Acar wrote:

Like I said, we actually discontinued it years ago due to QC concerns. All I can do is personally guarantee the quality of each of these units we sell.

Quality guaranteed. There it is in print. You can't do better than that.

Outstanding job Acar! And welcome back.

F
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Outstanding. Penguin, Hoo Rah!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Thank you penguin customer service.
TomConsole
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of TomConsole
Wow what pleasure to see such great customer service from Penguin!
Fate en Versos
View Profile
New user
Sin City, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Fate en Versos
How they manage so many customer service issues is beyond me. It seems like one after another after another. Always with a smile. And that's just on the Café! Imagine how many we don't hear about. Us magicians can be such whiners!

I remember years ago wandering into a magic shop and asking the dealer (who shall remain nameless) a question about a $5 item.

He said, "For $5 buy it and find out."

We've come a long way haven't we? Today we can have that experience without leaving the house. Smile

F
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
My new unit arrived yesterday, and is perfect. Thanks again for amazing service .
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Would it be inappropriate to ask someone who has purchased this to show a good shot of it with a pic or on youtube in the state that you would show it to a spectator (not in it's gimmicked state). The demo on Penguin seemed to flash something I didn't want to see, which is the reason I didn't buy it. But the demo was so quick, I may have just seen what I was afraid to see, if that makes sense.

In other words, I would like to see the block in the state it would be in when you hand it to a spectator to look at. I would buy this if I thought it would pass the "wife test" for a few seconds. That is, in the wrong light, would the gimmick show?

(again, just for clarification, I am not asking to see the gimmick...Actually the opposite...I am hoping I don't see it).
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Bruno Dias
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Bruno Dias
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 16:09, Fate en Versos wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 17:08, Acar wrote:

Like I said, we actually discontinued it years ago due to QC concerns. All I can do is personally guarantee the quality of each of these units we sell.

Thanks Acar for the excelent Service, This one is perfect Smile
Best regards

F
fazzer
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of fazzer
On the contrary, for me there was no response from Acar to my email
Pitty
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 15:20, fazzer wrote:
Pitty

Agree, very different customer service experiences from everything I'm reading and experiences.

I bought it and my gimmick was not up to par. When I emailed them, I even referenced this thread and the numerous reported issues, yet the tone of the response was as if mine was an isolated incident.

Then I send it back to return it and have to pay for shipping... 2 days later Acar posts he would take care of return shipping (which doesn't help me at that point since I had already paid to send it back).

Its been a few days since they received it and no response yet. Their customer service service lately has been kind of Jekyll and Hyde.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Mr. Marko
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Mr. Marko
I guess this item is only available from Penguin. Such a shame. I have nothing against them, it's just that it's difficult to business with them. I live in Thailand and attempted to buy something from them last year, but for some reason Thailand was not listed in the pop-up menu. I wrote them about it and this was their response:

"Thanks for your email about shipping to THAILAND. We do not normally ship their(sic) as too many packages were "lost" or "stolen" and never made it to the customer. You can order at your own risk and must select FedEx as the shipper. Here's how to place an order: Go through checkout normally entering your information. In the shipping are, in the STATE box, select INTERNATIONAL at the top of the drop-down list. In the CITY box, type THAILAND after you type the name of the city and select ICELAND in the COUNTRY box. Why Iceland? Because this is Penguin Magic and penguins love ice! Also, our awesome Warehouse Team will be on the lookout for packages going to Iceland. Type in the THAILAND postal code."

I saw some red flags in this message that don't exist from other magic dealers, 1) Order at your own risk. 2) You must select FedEx, (expensive) 3) Enter the country ICELAND in the shipping address. 4) It's just my opinion, the reference to "Penguins love Ice" is just plain silly and unbusinesslike. I need my magic dealer to at least appear somewhat professional.

Now, after reading about a host of other problems with this item and mixed reviews about Penguin, I decided to forego my purchase, and instead have bought another Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant. Worldwide shipping only $15. The first one rusted and I got it dinged up a bit. (My fault, I guess). Yes, it is heavy, but I think that just adds to the illusion. It would have been nice to be able to buy Matchbox Mystery, too. But I can't in good conscience deal with above-stated caveats so prominent.

Best of luck to all others who have MM and are happy with it. Sorry I can't join you.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
There's a story behind every one of those shipping caveats. I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay, and it doesn't take long to figure out which countries tend to have items go missing the most. Me, I just drop those countries from my approved list entirely. At least Penguin still offers you a choice. Moral: don't get mad at Penguin, get mad at the Thai postal service.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mr. Marko
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Mr. Marko
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 21:31, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Moral: don't get mad at Penguin, get mad at the Thai postal service.

Not looking for a moral, nor am I mad at anyone. I have way more choices than just the terms outlined by Penguin. If you can't find what you want at one place, you go looking at another. There are always options.

I did say I have nothing against Penguin and I have bought downloads from them in the past and will do so again. This was not meant to be a shipping horror story. I averted that possibility. But as a customer I have the right to spend my money at places I know will make it less difficult to do business with me, no matter where I live. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Now that we have that out of the way, back to my original query. Is this item only available at Penguin? Thank you very much if anyone knows the answer to this question.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Would like one myself..... But some seem ok and others are not. And can't be bothered having to send it back if not a good quality one.

Let's hope they can sort the good batch from the bad batch.

Graham.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
smarke
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of smarke
Just received my replacement for the Matchbox Mystery, and it's perfect. Thank you Penguin Magic.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 10:31, Acar wrote:
Dave: You don't have to pay anything or ship it back. I'll send you a new one today! Email me at acar@penguinmagic.com

That goes for anyone else. I said I personally guarantee these, that's a promise I don't take lightly.

You're the best Acar!
Mike the Magician
fazzer
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of fazzer
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 15:28, TuneHV wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 15:20, fazzer wrote:
Pitty

Agree, very different customer service experiences from everything I'm reading and experiences.

I bought it and my gimmick was not up to par. When I emailed them, I even referenced this thread and the numerous reported issues, yet the tone of the response was as if mine was an isolated incident.

Then I send it back to return it and have to pay for shipping... 2 days later Acar posts he would take care of return shipping (which doesn't help me at that point since I had already paid to send it back).

Its been a few days since they received it and no response yet. Their customer service service lately has been kind of Jekyll and Hyde.

Ssst!
Penguin is sleeping
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
So, I have been very pleased with Penguin and I still am, but I was a little disconcerted to hear that you had to "specifically asked...for a good gimmick." I didn't think to ask! So,I've been working mine for about a week now and it is clean maybe one in four times. I am of course aware that, being that I know how it works, I am more sensitive to seeing the seam in the block then someone not in the know would be; however, there is a noticeable ridge at the seam and if you twist it a little you get play between the two sections (I hope this isn't exposure.) I can not drop it into someone's hand without having a chance to visible inspect the block and adjust it before I drop it. So, whether it is just my gimmick or not or if the precision isn't there, I don't know. I really wanted this to work as I have a routine planned, but I am not confident enough in the gimmick to use it.

Kevin

"Alright so here is the deal.

I received a MM last week and had a similar experience as Corbett. I could "feel" the area where the gimmick meets, and I wasn't pleased as I had specifically asked in my note when purchased for a good gimmick... and that I would be picky.

True to Acar's word, I called Penguin customer # last week and they said no prob - they would "hand pick" a good gimmick and send me a new one ASAP.

The new one was FAR better - and I could see that it had been tested a bit as there were two holes in my matchbox already.

"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matchbox Mystery (Brass) (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL