The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Jumbo Coloring Book (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kbsafrit
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of kbsafrit
Does anyone know were to find a good regular jumbo coloring book. It is for a kids coloring book trick. I don't want to use the standard magic coloring book. All the coloring books I look at have puzzles all through them. I've thought about buying two or three of the same one and make one book with the coloring pages and leave the puzzle pages out. Ideas?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Have a look at magicnook.com. You might find something there you like.

Ed
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Make your own. That way you might want to have a set of them for different kids themed birthday parties....or maybe one that maybe more closely matches your character or plays into the theme of your routine.
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Who would like to see Tommy James come out with a marketed version of a giant coloring book? Man, that would take some real thinking!!!!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Tommy, it would be great if you could market a giant coloring book that is done the way it should be. I have thought about making my own many times, but haven't been able to justify the time it would take to do it right.

One problem I see with the coloring books on the market now is the colored pages are computer generated color that don't really look like they have been colored with crayons. I believe that aspect of the book could be made more realistic, even when mass produced. Hope you will put it on your To Do List!!!
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Http://www.bigcoloringbooks.com/bigbooks.html

That's the link to where I get my jumbo coloring books from. I have a few different versions. It's not hard to make them into a three way magic book, especially the suggested way taught by Danny Orleans. I also believe there is someone who is making jumbo 3 way coloring books. Can't seem to be able to find the website.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
If someone was making them I think it would be a well know source Danny.

Danny Orleans has made a demand for a jumbo coloring book. I started thinking of the work it would take AND the expense.

Robin, to make it look real, I think each black and white pic would have to be printed, then actually COLORED in with crayons, then copied and printed???? Not sure how to get that "colored in" look otherwise.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Coloring the pages with crayons would certainly look the best, but would be a very labor intensive task. Guess you could contract the work out to a group of first graders for milk & cookies! There are computer programs such as Photoshop that you could scan in the line drawings, then color them digitally with a tool that replicates a crayon or chalk look. That may be the most practical way if it looks good enough. And whatever you do...DON'T put on the cover of the book - "Magic Coloring Book!!!" Maybe you could title it "An Ordinary, Ungimmicked Coloring Book." LOL
jdstewart
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jdstewart
I use the coloring book theme for all kinds of things, even in Corporate work. But I have to make my own. I made one a few years back where I colored the pages with crayon. I did this while I was on vacation in the mountains of Idaho. There was nothing else to do but color. Smile
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
At office supply stores and craft shops they have very large coloring books that are all seperate sheets but with a cover, then you can cut the outside edges easily (2-4 sheets at a time with Xacto) then have it bound together at Kinkos or whatever. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, it's on my to do list (I don't actually have a list but it sounded good). And you can color it using markers rather than crayons cause its quicker and kids use markers a lot nowadays so it will look fine. There are, or were, jumbo magic coloring books that are sold by magic dealers, but they suck - the printing stopped far from the edge and looked weird. I have a killer coloring book routine I'm going to put on a DVD among other stuff at some point.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I currently use a manufactured "Magic Coloring Book"...I think by Fun, Inc. I, like Robin, do NOT like that title...it screams "GIMMICK". Granted, many of the kids in the audiences wouldn't get the connections, but still.

I believe it was Danny Orleans who teaches on his DVD set how to easily make a coloring book. He solves the "fake look" by having on of the changes be pictures that are "semi-scribbled", then the next magic moment makes them into nicely colored pictures.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The reason I make my own magic coloring books is so that I can go beyond the usual routine of blank pages to BW Line art drawings to Scribbled Drawings to colored-in drawings. I like having some of the stages take place in the hands of the helper, especially at the end when the vanished crayons come tumbling back out of the book and the helper goes back to his seat with a regular BW Line Art book and a set of complimentary crayons. If you want a custom effect, you have to build it yourself because no magic store can supply it.

Spellbinder came up with a great innovation in coloring book magic when he discovered the seasonal coloring books sold by Oriental Trading Company (among others). They are the same size as jumbo cards and he came up with a bunch of ideas for combining coloring books with card effects as a result. His e-Book is in the Wizards' Journal #24 and is called "Halloween Coloring Books" because the entire collection was produced for publication in October 2012, but there are many similar coloring books available for Christmas, Easter, and other themes as well. Just as an example, show a bunch of these books (fanned out like playing cards) and have one chosen. Use it to do the standard coloring book effect, then mix it back in among three other books and perform a four card monte with the book. Almost any effect you can do with jumbo playing cards can be done using these small books.
MrJay
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MrJay
A great source for the Jumbo coloring books might be to give a shout out to Danny Orleans, he uses them all the time when he works for kids shows. Also I must say Jaybo 'that's me' goes to conventions and always search for odd items, if I don't find what I am looking for I make friends with venders and ask them as they travel the convention circuit to keep a look out for an item I need, of course I pay a few dollars more as a finders fee. Other ways might be to use the Café and give a shout out or use face book Surplus magic or any of the other sites that helps you find your effect.
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
119 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
Only because many of you have asked me...I currently have one, just one, giant coloring book for sale. It is in near perfect condition, 15 x 20", Picture of BAMBI the deer on the front. If you are seriously interested, please contact me. It is a three phase book, hand-colored, scribble scrabble and line drawings. Gorgeous. Will play at birthday parties and for audiences of 1500 in a theatre.
It is $150. I pay domestic shipping. Contact me by email only... danny@corporatemagicltd.com if you want more info.
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Danny Orleans gives great instructions in his video for making the magic coloring book AND the crayon box. The great part is that you can make 6 or 8 to cover various themes for the birthday parties, from mickey to cinderella to iron man. One of those nice little touches....
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I provided a link that is a great source for jumbo coloring books. I buy there all the time. The books are affordable, and they have a nice selection. I have 6 of them. Doubles of three versions. If you don't like that the pictures won't be the same, kids don't notice. However, all you have to do is remove the pages that can easily be removed, and send them to Staple to make 3 copies, rebind them using book binding tape.

I had my kids scribble on some of the pages, while my wife, who loves coloring, colored some of the other pages.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
119 Posts

Profile of efrados
How about making a color book by yourself? I have an A3 printer at my work, this page http://www.coloring-book.info/coloring/ has lots of B/W drawings perfect for a color book, I will make one and post my results Smile
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
119 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
The Colossal Coloring Book of Magic is now available!!! Under my supervision, working directly with an artist and a printer, AmazeKids.com has manufactured its first product. You can get it direct from them with insured, tracked UPS delivery. See pix and a video here!
https://www.amazekids.com/magic/audience......f-magic/
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Colossal Magic Coloring Book
Creator: Danny Orleans
Publisher: Amaze Kids
MSRP: $ 44.95
Skill Level: all
Video Run time: 30 minutes

Type of effect: Kids party magic

Manufacturer's Write Up:

This is big! It's really big! - and when you're doing kids shows, bigger is better. That's why Danny Orleans has performed his Colossal Coloring Book routine in every kids show he's done for the past 30 years. Now he's made it available to the magic community. This is a professional prop for professional family entertainers. Over three times as big as the industry standard, this giant book combines a classic principle with a sure-fire laugh-getter - all on a ginormous scale.

After you first show the line drawings (so big, even the back row can see), the book's pages magically transform, becoming filled with scribble-scrabble! This is an original idea direct from Danny's act and just one of the hilarious moments of his routine with two kid helpers. Of course, in the end, the book's pages become beautifully colored. You can easily learn, master and perform this trick - and the staff at AmazeKids, who made the book, thinks it might just become the centerpiece of your kids or family show very soon.

Watch the video to see snippets of Danny's performance from his live show that is part of his DVD set, "The Art of Presenting Magic to Children." It'll give you an insider's view of this very special, jumbo-sized, cleverly gimmicked coloring book.

Here are the features:
15" wide by 20" tall
32 pages, saddle-stitched
Three transformations: line drawings, scribble-scrabble, perfectly-colored
Bright, 4-color cover with glossy UV coating
Matte finish, sturdy paper pages with "specially-trimmed" edges
Crayon-textured art on colored pages
Along with the book, you get a sheet of basic instructions and a link to an instructional video including Danny Orleans' entire 10-minute routine. Plus you get two bonus downloads teaching you all about the Jumbo Vanishing Crayons and the Jumbo Nesting Wands.

The routine has enormous flexibility so you can add crayons and an assortment of breakaway props to "fix" the scribble-scrabble.

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception, this is an amazing product

What's in the box? 15x20 Coloring book, instruction sheet and download code for the 30 minute video

Key points: Danny gives you his entire routine, including patter and additional "supporting magic." This is a great value

How are the production values: The video is shot well with good settings, camera positions and sound

Is it well made: This prop is so professionally made, it looks like the real thing

Is it well taught: Danny is a very clear and easy to follow teacher. So, not only is he fun to learn from, but the video is engaging to watch.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I loved the attention to detail that Danny and his artist took with this prop.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" This packs flat and plays big - because it is big! It'll play as beautifully in a large theater as it will a home birthday party.

Difficulty / Skill level required: All skill levels - easy to do

How much arts and crafts are involved? zero

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Danny will give you real world handling and tips so that you are knocking it out of the park every time.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

The additional two effects, the disappearing crayons and multiplying wands routine were pulled footage from Danny's previous release: the Art of Teaching Magic to Children

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://youtu.be/G78KVqeWr70
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
This made me think about making a color book effect - except put large items -like the Statue of Liberty - Elephant - eiffel tower - Jet liner - Cruise ship - large car -etc- then mention that you were going to Vanishing one maybe in the parking lot!! (a la Copperfield??) but couldn't make up your mind which one- so - decided to Vanish them all- and do so L-O-L -- Ralph(russo)Rouseau
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Jumbo Coloring Book (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL