We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Bizarre Peter Eggink Paul Harris Presents (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I've just tried the modification and it works great, so those that bought from us can log back in to see it.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
428 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
This got a great review on the WPR this week! Have to say though that David didn't perform this properly. He P****d the signed card off to reveal it and was totally unnecessary. You don't have to do what he did in order to reveal their signed card. If you own the effect you know what I mean.

I'm blowing peoples minds with this. LOVE it.

M P
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4738 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have only watched the DVD and haven't played with this prop yet.
But the DVD was really well done and I like the prop a lot.
It shows basic and more advanced versions and should get really good reactions.
Plus, the DVD actually played on my DVD player!!! So many times lately it seems like magic DVD's are not duplicated very well and won't play on most of my players, sometimes not even on a computer either.
For those that only speak English, this is not a big deal but a pleasant surprise was that Peter's English seems to have improved as well also. The last DVD I got of his was several years ago, and I had a bit of trouble understanding him in that one. But this one was no problem at all.

One thing worth mentioning is I think this would be a great prop for paid gigs. It you perform more casually for mainly family and friends, it can certainly still be done but there is some rigging up involved and that is something you probably wouldn't want to wear all the time ready to go. Not to say that you couldn't, but most would probably prefer not to I would guess.
For instance if you were at a dinner party with friends and you wished to perform this effect, you would likely want to make a quick visit to the restroom to prepare first before performing. But again, that depends on your personal preference, and also partly on what you would be wearing at the time. Also to be fair, with some thought and experimentation you could probably devise ways to allow yourself to have it set-up and not get in your way.

Also, if you do use the gimmick in your wallet, you cannot easily use that wallet for anything else. In fact, you cannot even remove your wallet from your pocket without a bit of effort. Fortunately the DVD does present a technique in which you could still have your wallet in your back pocket but have the gimmick inside another item in the same pocket and with some thought there are are probably a myriad of ways to work around using your wallet.

One last small quibble. The DVD shows a basic method where the selected card is not signed, but it still uses a Sharpie in the routine. It would seem odd to me to introduce a Sharpie but not use it (except as perhaps a magic wand or something???). Now with a little thinking there are no doubt many ways to get around this. I only mention it because usually when Paul Harris is involved with a product, little things such as this have usually been worked out. That seems to be what is usually the "Paul Harris touch" so I was kind of surprised that motivation for this wasn't provided. But then again, I have no idea how involved Paul was in the creative process, possibly not at all.
But one really nice thing about this prop is that it is really more like a utility device than a trick. I can see a lot of folks coming up with great ideas utilizing the basic principle in many unique ways.

Overall, I would give this high marks.
It's a good value for what you receive and a very workable and amazing effect. It is easy to do (in the basic handling) and seems like it would be a lot of fun to perform as well. It could easily fit in as an additional segment to many of your existing card effects, or be used stand alone equally well.
The prop is well thought out and very well made and with reasonable care should last a long time.
I think most purchasers will be quite pleased with their purchase.
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
Thanks for the great review, Videoman. Glad you like it!

Regarding the sharpie motivation when doing the non-signed version: I didn't draw too much attention on this on the DVD itself...I casually place the sharpie down, have a card selected, vanish the card and then grab the deck and replace the sharpie as if you were intended to have their card signed but apparently decided not to. However, If you feel it needs more motivation, you have a couple of options: You can use it as a "magic wand" as suggested by yourself, or hand them the sharpie to "touch" a card from the spread as you don't want anyone to touch the card etc. and go from there.

@M Pitcher: I'm glad you're digging the effect! Just saw the WPR. I agree that Dave made it himself a bit too difficult in his performance...Originally it doesn't use a P**m as how we all know it...You don't have to be able to technically execute a P**m in ANY way in order to retrieve their signed card from your back pocket...Just wanted to be clear on this. Anyways, the appearance of the card in Dave's pocket was a GREAT magical moment!

Joy,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 16:59, Peter Eggink wrote:
Thanks for the great review, Videoman. Glad you like it!

Regarding the sharpie motivation when doing the non-signed version: I didn't draw too much attention on this on the DVD itself...I casually place the sharpie down, have a card selected, vanish the card and then grab the deck and replace the sharpie as if you were intended to have their card signed but apparently decided not to. However, If you feel it needs more motivation, you have a couple of options: You can use it as a "magic wand" as suggested by yourself, or hand them the sharpie to "touch" a card from the spread as you don't want anyone to touch the card etc. and go from there.

@M Pitcher: I'm glad you're digging the effect! Just saw the WPR. I agree that Dave made it himself a bit too difficult in his performance...Originally it doesn't use a P**m as how we all know it...You don't have to be able to technically execute a P**m in ANY way in order to retrieve their signed card from your back pocket...Just wanted to be clear on this. Anyways, the appearance of the card in Dave's pocket was a GREAT magical moment!

Joy,

Peter







awesome

so no palm is needed to retrieve their signed card? so that means, that everyone that has no
skills to palm off a card can do the signed card version?

sounds wonderful. that means, I will probably pick this up:)

congrats for this wonderful release peter!
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)



Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1384 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
No palming necessary, though it can certainly be employed if you are comfortable doing it (something I highly recommend simply because it's such an immensely powerful weapon against your spectators, who must be destroyed).
It's all in the reflexes.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
428 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 20:22, Illucifer wrote:
No palming necessary, though it can certainly be employed if you are comfortable doing it (something I highly recommend simply because it's such an immensely powerful weapon against your spectators, who must be destroyed).



Sure. But why use a palm here? The choreography peter designed is beautiful. Even better than a palm and more safe if you will.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1384 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean it should necessarily be used with this at all. I only meant to say that one should learn good palming technique and store it in his/her arsenal. It is extremely powerful.That is, don't let things like this dissuade you from learning to palm well.
It's all in the reflexes.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4738 Posts

Profile of videoman
I think this whole "palm vs. no palm" may be misleading to those unaware of what exactly is being discussed.
I consider the method used by Peter to be a palm, or at least a variation of a palm. Kind of a basic and easy beginner's palm.
Maybe a "body-assisted palm" perhaps?

But to say that no palm is required is misleading although it may be technically correct.
If you were selling a card to wallet using this method, would it be fair to state that no palm is required?
Once you say that no palm is required, people assume it uses an entirely different method altogether, but the reality is that you are just using linguistics rather than a completely different method to accomplish the task IMHO.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I've been using this quite a lot of late and found another idea to make setting up and transferring a little easier.

I've updated the bonus page on our website for our customers.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......nts.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The bonus page has been updated again with a new tip.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1384 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Peter, I sent you an email with a specific query.
It's all in the reflexes.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
365 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I hope this hasnt been addressed and I just missed it, but are there restricitons regarding the pocket fit, meaning do they have to be loose or have a particularly wide opening?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Not really Scott as long as your pocket is open at the top and is wide enough to get a deck of cards in you are good to go.

It is not actually the same size a deck I just used that as an example.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1384 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Hey, I just want to give Peter a big thumbs up here in the forum. I used up all of a certain something whilst working to get it just right and when I wrote to inquire about details so I could purchase more locally, he offered to simply send me some more.

Thanks, Peter! Great customer service!
It's all in the reflexes.
Superjon
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Superjon
HI I just wanted to add my review for this item.

Using it in normal jeans its useless without a wallet as TALL as your pocket. I don't have a wallet that Big.

The effect is good.. but for me that's where it ends.. I don't like the setup. I don't like the way you need to have a wallet that has to fill the entire back pcket it terms of height.

Effect 9/10

Setup 6/10

I wont use this as I am not carrying around multiple wallets with a special LARGE one for this Trick.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Peter does show how to set this up without a wallet in your pocket which does work when you have a wallet in there as well.

I have a set up that is adjustable to your pocket depth so the whole thing can be moved from one set of jeans or trousers to another.

It's really quite easy if you think about it.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
I posted this over in another thread, but wanted to share it with you here. I think a good effect to pair up with Pocket Bizarre would be The Switch by Shin Lim: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-18047.html

For example, you can start off by taking the mystery card from The Switch, put it on the table, and tell the spectator to put their hand over it...."we will get to that Mystery Card later."

You can then go into a performance of Pocket Bizarre, where a randomly chosen and signed card visually shows up in your back pocket. Finally, end it with the switch, where you take that card from your pocket, vanish it, and then show that their signed card has been underneath their hand the entire time.

I love when you can combine two or more effects to make a more complete routine....and Pocket Bizarre has so many applications. I just wanted to share that idea here for you guys, since I plan on working those both together in my act.
- EddieM
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 12:12, EddieM wrote:

...you can start off by taking the mystery card from The Switch, put it on the table, and tell the spectator to put their hand over it...."we will get to that Mystery Card later."

You can then go into a performance of Pocket Bizarre, where a randomly chosen and signed card visually shows up in your back pocket. Finally, end it with the switch, where you take that card from your pocket, vanish it, and then show that their signed card has been underneath their hand the entire time.

I love when you can combine two or more effects to make a more complete routine....and Pocket Bizarre has so many applications. I just wanted to share that idea here for you guys, since I plan on working those both together in my act.


Holy smokes!

To paraphrase Dai Vernon, "Confusion does not make for good magic."
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 12:12, EddieM wrote:
I posted this over in another thread, but wanted to share it with you here. I think a good effect to pair up with Pocket Bizarre would be The Switch by Shin Lim: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-18047.html

For example, you can start off by taking the mystery card from The Switch, put it on the table, and tell the spectator to put their hand over it...."we will get to that Mystery Card later."

You can then go into a performance of Pocket Bizarre, where a randomly chosen and signed card visually shows up in your back pocket. Finally, end it with the switch, where you take that card from your pocket, vanish it, and then show that their signed card has been underneath their hand the entire time.

I love when you can combine two or more effects to make a more complete routine....and Pocket Bizarre has so many applications. I just wanted to share that idea here for you guys, since I plan on working those both together in my act.


I have been doing a similar thing it's not confusion just using the same card as part of your act.

I do Haunted 2.0 first, the follow on with another effect with the same card.

Ones I have been using are Pocket Bizarre, Threek and The Box.

I'm liking The switch a lot so will no doubt include that at as well.

On topic on Pocket Bizarre this is something you have to do to realise how impossible it is, one moment your pocket is empty the next the card is there!

Our bonus pages are now updated and have quite a few tips on how to use this and make it very easy to set up.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Bizarre Peter Eggink Paul Harris Presents (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL