We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Bizarre Peter Eggink Paul Harris Presents (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 20:49, magicbyswh wrote:
I just ordered from MJM magic. Jeff has been very helpful answering questions and you get 4.00 in reward points as well. Plus he is giving FREE SHIPPING. Thanks Jeff

Thank YOU, Steve. Your order will ship first thing in the morning. Smile
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4753 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with others who have pointed out that this prop could work very well for routines requiring deck switches or ditches.
Gives you a very plausible reason to turn around for a brief moment and provides excellent misdirection.
Would make following up with Envylope or Extractor a piece of cake.
If the reviews are good I may pick one up for that reason alone.
Oh and another obstacle I run into often is that when out with friends we are usually seated like in a bar or somewhere.
Makes it difficult to do a deck switch which I prefer to do standing, so this also provides a sensible reason for standing up too.
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
Thanks for your help and confirmation KJ. I just PMed you with my current thoughts for this
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 17:04, Gabe Asher wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 10:03, mike donoghue wrote:

As for people" examining your pocket", I think if it comes to this, then the person performing for lay people is not very experienced. I can just imagine the reaction I would get if I thrust my hand into an audience members back pocket. I would be asked to leave the premises of the place I was working at.You would never dream of doing this, so likewise for an audience member to do this is a no no. If you have any amount of performing experience, it's all about your performance and how YOU CONTROL YOUR PERFORMING ENVIRONMENT.

Mike Donoghue

And Mike Donoghue has obviously never performed a card to pocket routine for real people.

They ALWAYS want to reach into your pocket when a card appears in it. Usually just ladies, but this would be no different.

Nice try Mike. You don't really perform do you?

In my experience, it can happen but only in certain performing environments. Proper, paid gigs tend to be a little more orderly, and you're normally on before people are drunk, so Mike Donoghue is right: it would be highly unusual for someone to reach into your pocket uninvited. But at bars (especially) you have to be on the lookout for p*ssed-up ladies (especially) grabbing stuff. It's not insurmountable, but you have to be aware of it.

Perhaps I just perform a lot for drunks.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
What's funny is that I never asked Mike Donoghue a question.

And my original question had nothing to do with audience management or performance environments. I am a highly experienced performer, I do not need advice from random strangers thank you.

I simply asked if someone can look into the pocket.

It would have been easier to just say no.

Since they can't reach into the pocket, I'd be hesitant to let them remove the card.

To me, this is a very weak effect.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
428 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 07:59, Gabe Asher wrote:

And my original question had nothing to do with audience management or performance environments. I am a highly experienced performer, I do not need advice from random strangers thank you.

Since they can't reach into the pocket, I'd be hesitant to let them remove the card.

'Cause YOU are hesitant to let them remove the card this is now a weak EFFECT? Heavily Sigh.

Expecting mine in a couple of days. Really excited about this!

M P
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi All

To answer the concerns about a spectator "feeling the gimmick if they put a hand into the pocket".

The gimmick is specifically designed to securely clip into the inside of a normal closed wallet. So if a spectator

were to reach inside

the pocket, they would only feel your normal wallet.

Hope this clears things up.

Janet Harris

PHP Astonishment Goddess
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
540 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Is it necessary to have a wallet in your back pocket for this effect to work, or is that part optional? Just curious as I always wear my wallet in my front pocket. And would the thickness of the wallet make a difference in how well the gimmick operates?
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Wallet is optional. Thickness of wallet shouldn't make a difference.

J.H
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4753 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 07:59, Gabe Asher wrote:

Gabe, I think this effect is very promising with a lot of potential. I don't think the spectator reaching in your pocket is an issue at all. Would you let a spec reach in and grab your wallet under any other circumstances?
BTW, I presume your screen name is a pseudonym but it seems an odd choice. Is there something you are trying to tell us?
If not, my apologies.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 11:24, Phatmeat wrote:
Is it necessary to have a wallet in your back pocket for this effect to work, or is that part optional? Just curious as I always wear my wallet in my front pocket. And would the thickness of the wallet make a difference in how well the gimmick operates?

Like Janet mentioned, the wallet is optional. Peter teaches on the DVD a way to perform this even if you don't carry a wallet in your back pocket. As long as you have a back pocket, you can perform this effect.

I also think it's definitely customizable to work inside of a front breast pocket, for those of you who perform in dress jackets. That isn't demonstrated on the DVD, but knowing the mechanics of the gimmick, I can definitely see that working out quite easily.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2404 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I've worked out a way to fit this to a jacket breast pocket and it works fine.

I've uploaded the idea to our bonus page for our customers who have bought this.

The number of ideas on the page is growing 8 in total now.

The product and bonus page can be accessed here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......nts.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1498 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Where is Uday on this one? Have not seen anyone giving him his due for making the gimmick,
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3641 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 00:56, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 00:43, 1KJ wrote:
Barts,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. In the context of the various performances, I would say that statement is very true. You turn around and the card is not in your pocket. You turn around again and the card appears in your pocket without ever coming close to your pocket. It is pretty remarkable!
KJ

WOW - I hope this is taken the right way, because I'm truly impressed and not just being a wi$e-a$$

That's got to be one of the best ways to say NO that I've ever seen!

:applause: Smile Smile

Hi Bart!

I thought I was saying "yes". Obviously, I don't want to say that magic really exists and we can all snap our fingers and a card in Denmark disappears from a deck and appears on an Elephant in India. There are some moves involved. But to the spectator, this can be used to make a signed card be seen in the deck, immediately hand the deck to the participant, have them shuffle the deck, you turn around to show an empty pocket, and turn around again to show their signed card in your pocket. Of course, I am describing the participant's perception of what just happened, and there are a few moves a bit of misdirection, but this has got to be one of the easiest ways to make a very magical moment I have seen in a long time. Seriously, you don't have to purchase it, but I think that anything that elevates magic for all elevates magic for me too.

BTW, I don't have ANYTHING to do with the inventor, the distributors, or anyone else affiliated with this product. I just have a lot of magic, much of which gathers dust. When I experience something really good, I don't mind sharing. I personally, have developed my routines for both close-up and stage using this in a modified way from my jacket front pocket. Everything I need is built into the jacket and I'm good to go. I love things that are so easily ready to go.

If you do get it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Bart,

BTW, they can go through the deck you just handed them and their card is gone from the deck. If you do get the effect, send me a PM with a description of the method and I'll gladly send you my notes on the routine I developed. It is awesome and I think it is going to be VERY entertaining.

KJ
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
A lot of people are going to be surprised when they open the case. I know I was.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
If you own a Get Sharkey what a great addition this is as you will have
All the time in the world to get their card in place
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 17:04, Gabe Asher wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 10:03, mike donoghue wrote:

As for people" examining your pocket", I think if it comes to this, then the person performing for lay people is not very experienced. I can just imagine the reaction I would get if I thrust my hand into an audience members back pocket. I would be asked to leave the premises of the place I was working at.You would never dream of doing this, so likewise for an audience member to do this is a no no. If you have any amount of performing experience, it's all about your performance and how YOU CONTROL YOUR PERFORMING ENVIRONMENT.

Mike Donoghue

And Mike Donoghue has obviously never performed a card to pocket routine for real people.

They ALWAYS want to reach into your pocket when a card appears in it. Usually just ladies, but this would be no different.

Nice try Mike. You don't really perform do you?

Why the need to make such comments?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1974 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 21:31, magicbyswh wrote:
Where is Uday on this one? Have not seen anyone giving him his due for making the gimmick,

Hey magicbyswh,
I am a bit confused with your post.
Who would you expect to give him more credit for his work?

I mean the producers made sure to have his name big in the trailer before we even get to see the effect, I am also sure he got paid for his job lol

Uday did a great job in the gimmick of Pocket Bizarre as I also did a great job on the DVD and I didn't ask for any more pros, its a paid job.

Once again, I wasn't trying to be harsh on you I just want to understand who you believe should give more credit to Uday.

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Johndevacmaker,
This would also work very well with The Extractor.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Bizarre Peter Eggink Paul Harris Presents (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL