The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Problem Ordering from Roy Kueppers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Hello Guys

Have anyone experience a long delay and no reply email after order from Roy Kueppers?

I place my order back to last year November, and I cant get in touch with him, he replied me once on Dec and then disappear, anyone have the same problem ?
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Yes,

I won't deal with him again
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
This complaining to the public about custom manufacturers is getting really old to see in the "Trick coin trickery" section. REALLY OLD. Threads like this belong somewhere else.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
To those who are out hundreds of dollars, I'm guessing they are not so old.
Since they involve trick coins I think this is an appropriate forum. It's in line with magicians helping magicians. Personally, I think your post seemed insensitive.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2014-01-13 12:24, Craig Ousterling wrote:
This complaining to the public about custom manufacturers is getting really old to see in the "Trick coin trickery" section. REALLY OLD. Threads like this belong somewhere else.

And where would that be?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 01:07, videoman wrote:
Since they involve trick coins I think this is an appropriate forum. It's in line with magicians helping magicians. Personally, I think your post seemed insensitive.

[Speaking generally, and not to any one particular person who has posted about a customer service issue with any gaffer]

I think there's value in asking/checking to see if there's a general issue with a vendor/craftsman who's usually quite responsive that now seems unreachable, but this forum is about "trick coins", not "customer service issues with trick coin craftsmen".
These discussions frequently devolve into "my guy is better than your guy" or "your guy stole from my guy".

In general, you're dealing with primarily one man operations. People get busy, get sick, and being human, errors/mistakes inevitably will be made and things fall through the cracks. It's not like any of them frequent this place (unless you buy into the theories that they post under pseudonyms), so posting/venting frustrations here isn't likely going to get anything resolved.

_That_ is what gets old. What do people want us to do about it? We can't make their coins appear, issue a refund, or make someone else answer the phone, reply to their E-mail, etc. How exactly are we supposed to help?

Are they looking for sympathy? Sure, it sucks, but other than buying from a certain scam artist off of e-bay, they're eventually going to get some resolution, and I can't feel too bad for them if they've got hundreds of dollars available to spend on new custom made gaffs when all too regularly I see others here selling off their magic collections just to pay the rent/mortgage.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Al, maybe under "The Round Table" in the "Right or Wrong" section?

So, first off, to the OP: Sorry about my insensitivity. It was me voicing my frustration seeing a generalized complaint with differing facts. To videoman: Thanks for the poke-check.

Here the OP says last November but in another post within two hours of this one the same poster says three months. That would mean the order was placed October 13th and not in November. A difference of a minimum of 2 and a half weeks if the order date was acutally November 1. If you want sympathy about your incident please don't change your story or it becomes less believable.

To better understand the facts about what is going on please be more specific with time frames and contact dates. If you emailed him once and he didn't reply that's a lot different than emailing him every other day with no reply. It's also hard for me to believe you can't get in touch with him when he has a phone number posted on his website with stated hours of 8am-8pm (GMT-5) . That is a pretty large contact window to speak directly to Roy everyday.

Another scenario has been told in the aforementioned thread section.

Again, sorry about the insensitivity and I hope your case is resolved with him.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I don't think it is inappropriate to post this kind of info/complaint here. And I think there have been times when it has had positive results.

It lets other people know what to expect. It gives first-time customers a better idea of the kinds of specific questions to ask a custom gaffer (turn-around time, what kind of communication can I expect from you, etc...). When you invest hundreds of dollars, it would be nice to know that the creator may ignore communication attempts for a couple of months, even though communication was very solid *before* the money was sent.

Posts like this are not always for sympathy - the Café is a very good resource for new customers to ask about a creator's past history, what general expectations are, etc...

Sure, things can happen in the life of a 1-man operation that cause definite bumps in the road. It doesn't happen with great frequency, though (hopefully!).

Many people have jobs that involve communication with customers/buyers. They don't just stop communication for a month or two at a time - because they are accountable to a boss.

1-person operation folks are accountable only to themselves. Since they don't have a boss to assure customer satisfaction, customer reviews are really the only accountability they have, and I appreciate hearing them. That doesn't mean that the complainer is always right, but over time one can at least form a good opinion and set of expectations before buying.

Hope that made sense.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Chessman is correct. I was preparing to order from Roy some time ago when I came across a bad service thread. The contrasting view points and experience of others told me I had to contact him by phone. I did so and was comfortable enough to place an order. He gave me a delivery date and again, I followed up by phone when that date approached. The direct contact and follow up with e-mail (every detail included because he won't remember your entire conversation) was key in getting my order in a timely manner.
I can appreciate that others may have had a bad experience, and I can't defend if someone never received product or refund, but it seems these issues should all be resolvable with communication.

As to this being the correct location for the topic, it worked for me. I may not have seen the thread elsewhere.

Randy
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Roy may take a little bit of time to get a product to you, but..... he delivers and the products are all top quality.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 19:21, Ray Bertrand wrote:
Roy may take a little bit of time to get a product to you, but..... he delivers and the products are all top quality.

Ray

I agree fully.
Todd
The Great Dave
View Profile
Loyal user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
202 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
I disagree fully. Todd burned me 4 years ago because I used Paypal and at that time they would not give me a refund. He ignored every inquiry I made until I finally gave up. He knows what he is doing ...
Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Dave are you talking Todd or Roy?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 11:49, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 01:07, videoman wrote:

[Speaking generally, and not to any one particular person who has posted about a customer service issue with any gaffer]

I think there's value in asking/checking to see if there's a general issue with a vendor/craftsman who's usually quite responsive that now seems unreachable, but this forum is about "trick coins", not "customer service issues with trick coin craftsmen".
These discussions frequently devolve into "my guy is better than your guy" or "your guy stole from my guy".

In general, you're dealing with primarily one man operations. People get busy, get sick, and being human, errors/mistakes inevitably will be made and things fall through the cracks. It's not like any of them frequent this place (unless you buy into the theories that they post under pseudonyms), so posting/venting frustrations here isn't likely going to get anything resolved.

_That_ is what gets old. What do people want us to do about it? We can't make their coins appear, issue a refund, or make someone else answer the phone, reply to their E-mail, etc. How exactly are we supposed to help?

Are they looking for sympathy? Sure, it sucks, but other than buying from a certain scam artist off of e-bay, they're eventually going to get some resolution, and I can't feel too bad for them if they've got hundreds of dollars available to spend on new custom made gaffs when all too regularly I see others here selling off their magic collections just to pay the rent/mortgage.

I would 100% second and support this if the majority of the members here is pushing towards applying such a discipline as proposed by Inigmntoya
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-11 00:57, afinemesh wrote:
Start reading. . .

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=202&192

Read here too:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Back in 2011 I received the following PM from one of the members here. Sorry, I will not mention his name:

"Mike:

I hope you got your issue with Roy resolved.

I called and asked him if he could make a Canadian version of a Dushek trick called "Funkey." He said he could so I sent the American version to him. That was in February of 2009.

I have sent numerous e-mails and made repeated phone calls to him and...nothing! One day he did answer and said he had the prop sitting on his desk in front of him and that he would have mine ready next week. That was a year and a half ago.

The last e-mail I sent to him said, that if he didn't have time or didn't want to make the prop, please return the original to me. That was ignored too. I have basically written it off because I don't think I will ever see it again.

I have has Lassen make a couple of things for me a there was never a problem.

XXXX"
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
The reason I post in here if because I want to let people know how I feel and what I have went through, basically we just need help and get some suggestions.

I do not attack anyone for no reason, and I appreciated people who help me with this issue. I called him directly the other day and straight to my point,

he finally mail out my set a week after ( after 3 months of waiting).

He does reply oyur email sometimes, and the best way is to call him, he offer good price for gaff, but I have lost my faith in him, his product is good, and he shouldnt accept so many orders if he cant finish in time or at least let his

customers know roughly when it can be done, in that way we know that we will need to wait. Or else we get nervous after paying like $200-300 bucks
to someone who doesn't really take of you until you are ****ed.

It will be my last time order from him, this happend twice already.

Thank you guys for all the suggestion and help! This is why I love Café
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 20:08, MikeTheKid wrote:
he shouldnt accept so many orders if he cant finish in time

I agree. Or he should be truthful by not giving the unhonest line, "I will send it out the end of the week." He should at lease hire someone for help.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Hey Mike sorry to hear that (from a friend in Van).
Do you know of any other Canadian coin guys?
Roy was the only one I knew of and that's why I used him the in the past.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Problem Ordering from Roy Kueppers (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL