The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lone Survivor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Saw it last night with my wife. Very intense, very powerful. Loved it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Haven't seen it yet, but I will. I'm a big Mark Wahlberg fan.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
BTW, I saw August: Osage County last night, and I'd apply the same description.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
One of the actors who played in the movie said that after doing this movie he felt he had to be a better person. This was how I felt after returning home from Afghanistan. Our service members didn't die over there just so that those of us at home or who made it home alive from places like Iraq and Afghanistan could return home (for those of us who went and made it back) and be scum bags. So, it's important to be the best person you can be to honor and show respect to those who didn't make it back home alive. It's why, I hold myself to a higher standard now. It's all about showing respect and honoring those who didn't make it back. The folks over there, they died so that others may live.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Looking forward to seeing this one.
Dennis Michael
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
There may be movies out that are better technically or better acted. (Not that I had any problems with either) But this movie impacted me more than any movie I've seen recently except maybe 12 Years a Slave.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for your service in Vietnam Dennis. I feel it's important to do some justice to veterans of your generation. I reckon we had it easier than some of the old timers did.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I read the book when it was first released. Loved it! A phenomenal story, well worth reading. Besides the actual mission and the battle - and everything that leads up to it - the book also describes SEAL training in extensive detail.

I definitely want to see the movie, but my wife hates blood & guts films. Luckily, the cinema complex near us which is showing Lone Survivor also has Philomena with Judi Dench. So she can go see that while I enjoy Lone Survivor.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-11 20:00, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your service in Vietnam Dennis. I feel it's important to do some justice to veterans of your generation. I reckon we had it easier than some of the old timers did.

I received my first "Thank You" three years ago. It had an effect on me. People now don't even know what Jane Fonda did or who she is, or what really happened 50 years ago. This year makes it 50 years since I enlisted, something I just now realized. We are the forgotten. Visit a VA hospital and your eyes will open on the forgotten.
Dennis Michael
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is a reason for that, which is that they need new young blood to fight new wars who don't any better. The old, they are older and wiser and so they are forgotten.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I received my first "Thank You" three years ago. It had an effect on me. People now don't even know what Jane Fonda did or who she is, or what really happened 50 years ago. This year makes it 50 years since I enlisted, something I just now realized. We are the forgotten. Visit a VA hospital and your eyes will open on the forgotten.

Well, I know a lot of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who haven't forgotten about you and your fellow Nam vets! You make us proud! You did the right thing going to Vietnam and fighting to stop communist totalitarianism. If you didn't go, then somebody else would have had to go in your place. Always be proud to be a Nam vet and never let anybody take that away from you. Especially don't let traitors like Jane Fonda take that away from you.

I read a few of your posts on Agent Orange. Funny enough, I was on the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America website forum and have been receiving some information, according to one of the posters on the website, he tested positive by the VA for Gulf War syndrome (at least that is what he wrote on the forum and I am sure he is probably telling the truth) and he served in the recent Iraq War but never served in Desert Storm, so information is being passed to us to get tested for this. I guess this is the Agent Orange for the Desert Storm and the recent Iraq War vets (hopefully not for the Afghan vets, I served in Afghanistan but not in Iraq, but it would probably be a good idea for me to get tested for this anyway, even though I didn't serve in Iraq just to be on the safe side, I know some people have died because of this Gulf War syndrome).

If it's one thing the Vietnam War and the recent wars have also taught, it's the importance of the prevention of the astronomical and mind boggling costs of war (prevention and avoidance are two different things, sometimes you do have to fight, as an absolute last resort). I know I walked away with a new found appreciation and respect for the costs of war.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Davenport, You are absolutely right, every war deals with some form of poison.
Dennis Michael
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
There ought to be law which states that those who fight the war have to be 64 or more.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Since I'm going to die anyway, yes, I'd do it in a second to prevent my sons from going to war.
Dennis Michael
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Respectfully, the way to prevent your sons from going to wars is to stop supporting the ones who send sons to war. You are in a position to help educate youngsters that war is not glamorous, and that the people who send other people's children to war are rarely truthful. I have worked with several vets in the past few years who spend much of their time now doing exactly that.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

None of my sons, one 33 and one 20, both know my feelings about dying for political reasons.
Dennis Michael
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Vietnam was a much different time and in many respects a different war. I am certainly glad I didn't have to serve during that time. The soldiers were not treated with the respect they deserved and it damaged us as a nation and it damaged our national security. People will look back on how our Vietnam veterans were treated and won't want to serve and that can damage America's chances of maintaining it's freedom and independence. That's why it's important to treat the vets with respect, even if you don't agree with the reasoning for a war. Mistreating veterans can really come back and haunt a nation in the future when they really need people to sign up to defend the nation for a legitimate reason or purpose. Of course, mis-using military power has serious consequences as well and can come back and haunt a nation.

Personally, I am tremendously proud of my service, but on the other hand, going to war is not something I would ever want to do again either. I never doubted my reasons for being in Afghanistan (9/11) and I felt if I died over there it would have been worth it. For me, it was about the 3,000 Americans who died in the Twin Towers, so I never questioned my reasons at all and was perfectly willing to put my life on the line for those who perished on 9/11.

To me, that's what my deployment was all about, it was about those Americans who died on 9/11. One Israeli I spoke with here in the US at a gig put it in a different perspective: I was there fighting for my home. I guess, many Israelis do the same thing on a day to day basis given that they live in a rough neighborhood like the Middle East and the Arabs are always trying to find a way to push the Israelis "into the sea" as they like to put it.

I was fortunate to make it back alive and I think in many ways, my military service made me a better person. I hold myself to a higher standard now than what I did before my deployment, to honor those who didn't make it back alive. It became apparent that I was afforded an opportunity to live when others were not afforded such an opportunity, so, I felt, in order to not dishonor or disgrace their memory, I have to live a good life and it's important to live a good life so as not to dishonor or disgrace my fellow living veterans as well.

I also make it a point to thank a Nam vet for his service to do some justice to them because I really think the wrong side won the Vietnam War and our military and political leadership at the time was incompetent. I still think the communists that took over Vietnam were the bad guys and many civilians ended up in "re-education camps" which is just another word for concentration camp after our troops left Vietnam and Saigon fell. Many were tortured and executed in these camps and their were not free and fair elections held in Vietnam after our troops left and the communists took over.

I studied the Vietnam War a lot so that I could be a better soldier in Afghanistan, plus read books written by Nam vets on military tactics (and I am sure these tatics were learned the hard way). The enemy in Vietnam was a very smart, tough and determined enemy and I learned a lot from the books written by the Vietnam vets and it helped to make me a better soldier. Another thing you learn is never under-estimate the enemy. I also noticed that General Petaraus did not repeat the same mistakes as General Westmoreland and it seems to me he too has studied the Vietnam War in great detail and the failures of our military and political leaders back then and drew the appropriate lessons. I think General Petareus did an excellent job as a general for our armed forces. Of course, the General who was in charge of us while I was on deployment at the time was General McCrystal. I think both were great generals and provided good leadership (even though McCrystal was fired).

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
Dennis

Several of Suttons major works are now available on-line including his three volume magnum opus:

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/326318#ixzz2qLc2TNkK

Tommy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The biggest mistake in Nam was that it was run by those in DC, not the ones who knew how to win it. It was Goldwater's platform, quit messing around and fight the war, not act as police officers. He lost by a landslide. Not a political platform ever used since. Pull out wins votes.

DC is still running the wars the same way today. It creates millions of jobs by making military products.
Dennis Michael
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Pull out wins votes? Johnson hardly advocated pulling out of Vietnam in the 1964 campaign against Goldwater, so that notion is completely false.

In fact, it was in 1964 that Johnson began to escalate US involvement in the war.

Quote:
At Kennedy's death, there were 16,000 American military advisors in Vietnam.[97] As President, Lyndon Johnson immediately reversed his predecessor's order to withdraw 1,000 military personnel by the end of 1963 with his own NSAM No. 273 on November 26, 1963.[98][99][100] Johnson expanded the numbers and roles of the American military following the Gulf of Tonkin Incident (less than three weeks after the Republican Convention of 1964, which had nominated Barry Goldwater for President).

The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which gave the President the exclusive right to use military force without consulting the Senate, was based on a false pretext, as Johnson later admitted.[101] By the end of 1964, there were approximately 23,000 military personnel in South Vietnam. U.S. casualties for 1964 totaled 1,278.[97] Johnson began America's direct involvement in the ground war in Vietnam when the first U.S. combat troops began arriving in March 1965.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_Johnson#Vietnam_War

One of the ACTUAL reasons that Goldwater lost was that, in addition to being an extremist in other matters, his suggestion that military commanders should be able to use tactical nuclear weapons in Vietnam WITHOUT presidential confirmation, wasn't exactly a policy that most Americans, then or now, would find acceptable.

Quote:
In a May 1964 speech, Goldwater suggested that nuclear weapons should be treated more like conventional weapons and used in Vietnam, specifically that they should have been used at Dien Bien Phu in 1954 to defoliate trees.[32] Regarding Vietnam, Goldwater charged that Johnson's policy was devoid of "goal, course, or purpose", leaving "only sudden death in the jungles and the slow strangulation of freedom".[33] Goldwater's rhetoric on nuclear war was viewed by many as quite uncompromising, a view buttressed by off-hand comments such as, "Let's lob one into the men's room at the Kremlin."[34] He also advocated that field commanders in Vietnam and Europe should be given the authority to use tactical nuclear weapons (which he called "small conventional nuclear weapons") without presidential confirmation.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldw.......2C_1964
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lone Survivor (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL