The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Don't Trust Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I watched the show and Andrew Mayne is very likeable and that's the good news. Now for the bad, it uses camera cuts and stooges to accomplish the magic. I don't see anything magical about the show. I hope it soon disappears!
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I guess when you're competing against the likes of Criss Angel for TV eyeballs, you just do the same thing he does. Sad.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2315 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I had to tape the show because it came on to late for me and I had to work. I was hoping it did not use camera cuts and stooges to accomplish the magic. that's why I don't watch Chris. If that's the case I wont watch the show at all. I will check it out tonight.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1335 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I've not seen the show but is saying "don't trust andrew mayne" as a title very fair? My first thought given the section this is in was that he'd not delivered goods or something.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
This is all I could think of while watching the show.
Official Thread Killer
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 06:18, Paul S Wingham wrote:
I've not seen the show but is saying "don't trust andrew mayne" as a title very fair? My first thought given the section this is in was that he'd not delivered goods or something.

I believe the OP used that title since the name of the show is "Don't Trust Andrew Mayne".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/arts/t......tml?_r=0
Cbring
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
238 Posts

Profile of Cbring
I´m a little confused. Do you mean that he uses tricks, that he actually not have magical powers. I never do that, I´m 100% pure, then of course we can have a discussion about cheating and lying."I put the red ball in my left hand" I read your body language" "This is solid rings" "Everything you see here is for real" "I don´t use stoodges" And so on...

Please lie to me if it make the illusion better and more magical.
Gabe Asher
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Gabe Asher
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 09:48, Cbring wrote:
Please lie to me if it make the illusion better and more magical.

If you don't lie effectively it doesn't make the illusion better and more magical.

People who do regular magic poorly will tend to do "tv magic" poorly.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10458 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-01-13 23:23, Mike Brezler wrote:
I watched the show and Andrew Mayne is very likeable and that's the good news. Now for the bad, it uses camera cuts and stooges to accomplish the magic. I don't see anything magical about the show. I hope it soon disappears!

I disagree - it is fun and entertaining. another take on magic meets David Blaine meets Andrew Mayne meets candid camera. Alan Funt would approve.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4642 Posts

Profile of RNK
What station and time is this show?

Thanks,
RNK
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
You can watch full episodes on A&E's website.

saysold1 got it right. Andrew's show is more like 'Candid Camera'. It's not being presented as a magic program, though Andrew does state that he's a magician. It's fun and he's a good host.
It's all in the reflexes.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3017 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Definitely enjoyed it. If you are watching because you want to see pure magic, sleight of hand and grand illusions, this is not the type show it is. It is good so far though.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1335 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 08:27, Jaybs wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 06:18, Paul S Wingham wrote:

I believe the OP used that title since the name of the show is "Don't Trust Andrew Mayne".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/arts/t......tml?_r=0

Hahahaha - makes sense. Sorry - my bad.
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
I watched the first episode. I thought that it was entertaining. The magic wasnt your typical card magic or magician magic. It was solid TV performance. Though some of the spectators even felt stoogey, I can hope that some were legit as some of the magic is very doable for real spectators. Not a bad start. Interested to see what else happens.
www.christopherwiehl.com
www.syracusemagic.com
Syracuse Magician Christopher Wiehl.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Some of the specs did indeed seem stoogey, but this could be due to the fact that in many cases, it wasn't a hidden camera type setting. The camera was right there in their face and I am sure that throws some people off a bit. I'm sure I would be a bit unnatural if I was taken by surprise, surrounded by a camera team, and pranked with something mind blowing.

Either way, though, it was great fun and my family and I were entertained. There were some cool one off effects/illusions (pranks?) along with a bit of a story arc with Andrew using his magic to solve someone's problem (which basically culminates to some sort of grand illusion/prank).
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Pretty sad to hear this :/ .... For someone with amazing work like that, which has worked with David Blaine, Criss Angel, (I'm not sure with David Copperfield) but it's sad this is what Magic has come down to.

PLEASE DON'T SAY IF ITS MORE ENTERTAINING WITH CAMERA TRICKS AND STOOGES THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH IT.....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10458 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 13:11, TheMagicalMan wrote:

Pretty sad to hear this :/ .... For someone with amazing work like that, which has worked with David Blaine, Criss Angel, (I'm not sure with David Copperfield) but it's sad this is what Magic has come down to.

PLEASE DON'T SAY IF ITS MORE ENTERTAINING WITH CAMERA TRICKS AND STOOGES THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH IT.....

Why not?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Stooges are a legit solution to a magic trick. The problem is that you must use them in a situation when no one would suspect you using one. That is a concept that most magicians don't seem to grasp.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Everything I saw on the episode I watched could be accomplished without stooging any of the spectators. It's good fun for the type of show it is.
It's all in the reflexes.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Back when Mark Wilson was trying to get magic on television the greatest objection he had to overcome was studio executives' concerns that the audience would just assume everything was done with camera tricks. They went to great lengths to assure the viewing audience that what they were seeing was exactly as if they were there watching it live.

Criss Angel's blatant use of stooges and camera tricks set us back decades, and now Andrew Mayne continues to destroy the future of television magic - AS A PERFORMANCE ART.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Don't Trust Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL