The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Chop Cup VS. Jiggernaut in Restaurants (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JeffreyMichael1127
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of JeffreyMichael1127
Hey Guys, I wanted to see your thoughts on Chop Cup versus Jiggernaut in a bar/restaurant atmosphere. Jiggernaut does look like it would be easier to store on you as a walk around restaurant magician. Is one better than the other, or is just a matter of preference? I am looking to get one of them as part of my act, but not sure which one. Thoughts?...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Jiggernaut goes great in a bar / restraunt setting - its an item that is supposed to be there. You can walk up to the bar and have the bartender hand it all to ya. (set up in advance) now that looks impromptu. Smile I used to do magic and bartend and this routine was my bread and butter. There's my 2 cents worth
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Danny Archer also has his version (with crediting) with has a more family friendly theme.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
For strolling work I use a "mini"chop cup and perform entirely in my hands. My mini cup looks like a metal shot jigger.
The routine is structured to eliminate the "challange" aspect from the spectator, instead it's a little game I play to determine if I have had "too much". For loads I use a walnut(rubber) "this game will drive you nuts" and a Golf ball " If I'm going to play a game with a little ball and a tin cup-that's going to drive me nuts...I play golf!"
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
I too used to use a mini chop cup that looked like a small shot glass. Kept it in a small bag, which acted as the closeup pad when I did the trick. ( It deadens any noises, plus it keeps the table "gunge" off of my props)

I borrowed a bill, bunched it up with ******* inside, and ended up with a bill that had a few coins in it. Taxes, don't ya know.

Worked well.

But in fairness, I think Jiggernaut is pretty nice.

Remember - YOU count....the prop? Not so much.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I've never done Jiggernaut, but as Patrick & Brody point out, my aluminum Morrissey mini-chop cup looks quite at home in a bar setting. Love your load ideas, too.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Jiggernaut wins hands down. A jigger is thin and stores easily in the bottom of your left jacket pocket with the olive and cork laying next to it ready to go. By putting the props away you are reset. It makes perfect sense in a bar/restaurant and the routine/content inherently contains many openings for good one liners. A jigger just looks better than a cup and you'd be surprised how interesting a good fake olive is to people. The double cork finish beats most chop cup final loads, as its motivated by the patter and the environment.

IMHO
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
JeffreyMichael1127
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of JeffreyMichael1127
Sounds good...Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Jiggernaut seems that it also lends itself to better patter and reasons for its use.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Jiggernaut is cute and entertaining for bar settings but nothing beats two brightly colored super bounce balls out of a mini cup. The color contrast is nothing short of stunning and children and adults alike can also identify with them immediately.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Dan Fleshman has a really, really good routine for Jiggernaut. Kozmo just released a two DVD set by Dan on Reel Magic that has it on there.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For me it has to be the chop cup it's guaranteed to get you an amazing reaction.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
For me, a guy who does chop cup for a living on the streets for 30 years. In a restaurant I would do dan Fleshman's Jigger Routine. KILLER....everything dan does is killer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have done a chop cup in restaurants for 30 years for a living and would do a chop cup.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have done a chop cup in restaurants for 30 years for a living and would do a chop cup.

Well they are both good... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think so as well. I also think they read as different effects almost. To me, jiggernut does not work because my hands are too big. The effect shrinks up.

The other thing I don't like is the moves look pretty contrived. The beauty of a chop cup is that it just happens.

This is just picking nits mind you. Jiggernut is still a great effect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Chop Cup for me. The payoff is a lemon and then a lime and always gets gasps. I have the final loads in my right pants pocket and the black bag with the chop cup in my hands.

Some people will be familiar with a jigger but to some it will look like a weird prop.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Chop Cup VS. Jiggernaut in Restaurants (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL