The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Forgotten Stars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6840 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Guy Williams
Jonathan Harris
Bridget Bardot

Doug
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Deanna Durbin
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The Hudson Brothers
Lennie Schulz
Captain & Tennile
Bobbie Sherman
Chas Nelson Reilly
Arte Johnson
Donovan
Jerry Colona
Wally Cox
Sam J. Jones
Willie Tyler & Lester
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Sadly, virtually all of the stars from the Negro Leagues in baseball. Yes, a few are in the Hall of Fame, but, only a die hard baseball junkie would even know about these men.

But one in particular I want to mention goes back to the 19th century: Moses "Fleetwood" Walker. He was the FIRST major league baseball player, joining the Toledo Blue Stockings club in 1884. His brother Welday joined shortly thereafter. Fleet Walker was a great player and had been compared favorably with the great white stars of that century including Mike Kelly, Pete Browning, Charles Radbourne and many others. One of these greats, Cap Anson was actually responsible not only for Fleet Walkers's expulsion from major league baseball but was the catalyst that banned all players of color from the majors until Jackie Robinson's debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.

And few remember that Larry Doby was the first African-American to play in the American League, debuting with the Cleveland Indians in 1948.

Finally, I am still incensed by the fact that the Baseball Hall of Fame did not induct Buck O'Neill. During the 1990s whem major league baseball was struggling to regain its footing after the disatrous season ending strike of 1994, Buck was truly baseball's ambassador. He was also a solid player who statistically out performed more than a few Hall of Famers and was by all accounts a superb coach. Most of America - myself included, had never heard of Buck O'Neill until the Ken Burns documentary. Only those who played with and/or under O'Neill in the Negro Leagues knew of him.

Outside of baseball, how many remember Stu Sutcliffe? Terry Reid? One was a Beatle and the other was originally tapped to be Led Zeppelin's front man.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 15:44, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 14:04, S2000magician wrote:
I'd include any TV personalities/stars from the 1960s - 1980s.

You left out the fifties. Smile

Andy Devine and Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZazW9Ja1k

And... "Wait for me, Wild Bill!"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 20:22, acesover wrote:
Kukla, Fran and Ollie.

Can't leave Burr Tilstrom out of that mix. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 20:01, Steve_Mollett wrote:
The Hudson Brothers
Lennie Schulz
Captain & Tennile
Bobbie Sherman
Chas Nelson Reilly
Arte Johnson
Donovan
Jerry Colona
Wally Cox
Sam J. Jones
Willie Tyler & Lester

Your mention of the Hudson Brothers reminded me of the Ritz Brothers. Remember them? They were once almost as famous as the Marx Brothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ritz_Brothers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 19:29, Mehtas wrote:
Deanna Durbin

After I saw her classic film, "It Started With Eve," I fell in love with Deanna Durbin. The huge successes of her films reportedly saved Universal Studios from bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Durbin

Sadly, she passed away last year.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2747 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
While WE know them, see if any one remember ANY magician playing during Houdini's era;
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 22:28, ed rhodes wrote:
While WE know them, see if any one remember ANY magician playing during Houdini's era;

Nice point Ed and it really proves Harry Kellar's assertion that only one well known magician at a time will be accepted by the non-magic public. So for instance, non-magicians would talk about Blaine, then Angel came along, then Dynamo. Houdini still stands as the only magician that has defied this rule. And ironically, while Houdini is known to us as a magician, the bulk of his career was in performing escapes. He didn't go out with a bona fide illusion show until a couple of years before his death in 1926. Yet the name Houdini is known still while to the non-magic public, stars like both Blackstones are fading into obscurity.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Blackstone, Dante, Thurston Not sure but they were performing before I was born.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Forgotten Stars (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL