The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » BEGINNERS LIST (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Hey guys although I am new to the café I am not new to magic but I did think of this post that could help some beginners there is probably already a post like this but I decided that this would be a cool idea to help some of the newbies to magic! so in your post below list
3 effects gimmicked, no gimmick, coin magic, card magic anything just 3 tricks you recommend for a beginner
3 books you recommend
and 1 tip to make any beginners start to magic a little easier and less stressful

Have Fun And thanks for Posting!!
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
3 effects gimmicked:
The Svengali deck
Scotch 'n Soda (gimmicked Coin trick)
Pen through Dollar Bill (gimmicked Pen)

3 effects non-gimmicked:
Hot Rod (Paddle trick)
Sponge Balls
Cups and Balls

3 books for a beginner:
Mark Wilson's Complete course in Magic
Magic for Dummies
Joshua Jay's ebook "Over - Under"

1 tip: Start strategically making real any dream you have of performing now. Join a magic club. Consider how you can perform often and try to start doing it!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6009 Posts

Profile of motown
- Professors Nightmare (an excellent rope effect)

- Invisible Deck

- Glorpy

3 Books:

- Harry Lorayne's Magic Book
- Mysterio's Encylopedia of Magic and Conjuring (contains many classic effects)
- Card College Vol. 1

Don't get caught up in trying to buy the latest effect.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
3 Effects:
Hopping Halves
Stripper Deck
Scotch and Soda

Books:
J.B Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Tarbell's Course in Magic
Card College Vol.1

Master everything with those, and you'll have the ability to entertain anyone for COUNTLESS hours.

I could repeat one of the bits of advice that someone listed before but I'll list something different.. The main mistake I made was buying all different types of colorful and unique decks of cards from Ellusionist and such. It's an absolute waste of your money. It's something you can focus on if you want to later on but in the mean time, there's far more important things you can put your money towards. Pick between Bicycle, Bee, or Tally-Ho. I happen to use all 3. Phoenix decks are also pretty good. Bee's are my favorite but they aren't recommended to be used in all card effects as they have no border and make some effects harder to accomplish.. But they also make some effects easier.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Svengali Deck
TT
Scotch & Soda

Hot Rod
Professor's Nightmare
Regular deck of cards and learn routines

Royal Road to Card Magic
Tarbell's Complete Course in Magic
Joshua Jay's book on magic

If you get any of the items on this list or presented by the other members and work at the routines diligently you will have enough material to last a lifetime. There are thousands of books and DVD's available and there are tons of new effects presented to us every day. First, learn the basics. Then choose wisely as to where you want to spend your money.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Effects:
Two card turn over from Royal Road (can't remember its name, but you put your card in their half deck and they put theirs in your half of the deck. Deck is put together and after some handwaving, they both flip over. It's far more fooling than the standard 1 card version, but also easier, requires little sleight of hand, and increases your understanding of misdirection)
Gadabout coins (2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket)
Cut and restored rope/string

Those 3 because they're all good routines that I still use now, introuduce card, coins and other objects, and are ungimmicked.

Books:
Harry Lorayne's Magic Book (although C&R is actually in Mark Wilson's, not here)
Bobo's
Royal Road to Card Magic

Tip:
Start with easy stuff that you are comfortable performing and know will entertain. Once you have a good audience who is on your side, try out a new routine that you are less sure on and you'll be surprised!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I rarely do out-of-the-box tricks, so names often escape me.

Three Best Tools:
  • Stripper Deck
  • Himber Wallet
  • PK Ring

Three Best Books:
  • Complete Course in Magic - Mark Wilson
  • Amateur Magician’s Handbook - Henry Hay
  • Royal Road to Card Magic - Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue

Tip:
Learn what it means to be an Entertainer, NOT a juggler, stuntman, or smartalec. If your audience is having fun and being entertained, your job automatically becomes easier, and they’ll remember you longer and more favorably.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Great list so far keep up the posts!
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I'll second Zephury's list. It's a GREAT list.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Get a thumb tip, some sponge balls, some coins and a deck of cards. Harry Lorayne's Magic Book is a must and so are Bill Tarr's books. Read bios of Marvyn Roy and Milo & Roger, no tricks but great advice and great reads.
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 18:38, David Fillary wrote:
Effects:
Two card turn over from Royal Road (can't remember its name, but you put your card in their half deck and they put theirs in your half of the deck. Deck is put together and after some handwaving, they both flip over. It's far more fooling than the standard 1 card version, but also easier, requires little sleight of hand
Double Reverse on page 197
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
130 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Classic Coin Transpo
Stripper Deck
Scotch and Soda

Books
J.B Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Strong Magic by Ortiz
Scarne on Card Tricks
Mike the Magician
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Invisible Deck
TT
any gimmicked coin

Mark Wilsons Book in paperback (small and portable)
Joshua Jays book with dvd on magic (not his card book)
Bobo's coin book available in paperback (which isn't as complete as the hardback, but has a lot of basics anyway)

tip: don't perform exclusively for the same friends or family, unless you want them to try to burn you. Performing for children is great for any beginner; and it builds extra confidence when you fool the parents as well. Lynn
Cardflipper
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Cardflipper
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2014, lynnef wrote:
Invisible Deck
TT
any gimmicked coin

Mark Wilsons Book in paperback (small and portable)
Joshua Jays book with dvd on magic (not his card book)
Bobo's coin book available in paperback (which isn't as complete as the hardback, but has a lot of basics anyway)

tip: don't perform exclusively for the same friends or family, unless you want them to try to burn you. Performing for children is great for any beginner; and it builds extra confidence when you fool the parents as well. Lynn

Would the exception here about family exclude that trusted confidant you depend on to tell you if you tipped a gaff?
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Invisible Deck.
Chop Cup.
David Williamson's Ring off Rope.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.
The Conjuring Anthology by Jim Steinmeyer.
The book of Secrets by John Carney.

The last two books may be a surprise but Conjuring has a few tricks for beginners that are effective pieces of magic.
Both books give inspiration and wonderful guidance.

A tip for beginners:
buy decent props then you won't have to replace them when you realise that your first purchases were not up to scratch.
"But there isn't a door"
SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
Maybe I need to pull out the Mark Wilson "Course in..." book again. Everyone on this site seems to love it. I'm a bit lukewarm.

3 tricks-
Invisible Deck
Hot Rod
A regular deck of cards...

Gimmicks-
A pull
A thumb tip

Books-
Scarne Card Tricks
Karl Fulves Self Working Card Tricks
50 Tricks With a Thumb Tip (Christopher)

There are so many to recommend, so much out there now.

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » BEGINNERS LIST (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL