The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I wanna make a spook show... Do you have a few tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mentalmagicgerman
Do you know some good books/Dvds;/Items about spook magic for stage?

I wanna make a show, which combinates mentalism and spook magic-something like Keith Barrys Dark Side

I have read much books, bought some good items and watched Dvds in mental magic and hypnotism...

Now I am looking for some new, good items/books/dvds about spook magic for stage...

..and do dou have some tips for this kind of show?

Thx in preau

Sorry for my english
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Do you have this book?

http://www.trickshop.com/ghost-book-dark-secrets.html

Only $8 and worth every cent.
mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Yes Smile

I have it.... and it is great...., but I think, it wouldn't impress a audience, if they see
some "glowing ghosts and skulls on stage"....
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
247 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
What kind of spook show are you trying to make exactly? One book that I would recommend would be How to Operate a Financially Successful Haunted House by Philip Morris. I know it's just about haunted houses, but it has a few illusions that you could use in your show, depending on the theme and how big of a production it is. And for other spook show illusions, honestly, any illusion book by Paul Osborne if you know how to build.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 13:34, mentalmagicgerman wrote:
Yes Smile

I have it.... and it is great...., but I think, it wouldn't impress a audience, if they see
some "glowing ghosts and skulls on stage"....

Have you watched Derren Browns Seance or Richard Wissemans? Both use very basic techniques including glowing objects and both scare those involved.
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Sorry to butt in, but you just jogged a childhood memory! About 8 years old after going to a pantomime in a big old theatre in Oxford with a cousin of the same age, (think the Krankies were in it!). The panto included a short black art spookshow section full of floating chattering skulls etc.
Of course the next day we were at the joke shop buying luminous paper and paint, and a ton of wooden lolly sticks. Few hours later we had painted and set up our 'spookshow puppet theatre' in darkness at the top of a staircase, complete with glowing floating skulls, dancing skeletons, and flying ghosts, all along to a horror sound effects album that we stole from a market stall!
Such great spooky memories, and I guess my love for the dark and macabre started from there, and I've still never owned an item of clothing that wasn't black to this day!
Was always so jealous of the spookshows we used to read about in America. Was never really a thing in England. Well, not since the 1800's!
Anyways, back on topic, I have a wonderful book called ' spook show stoppers ' by val Andrews.'a complete spookshow, how to work it, how to make it, with full patter! Was published by supreme magic in 1984, and I got it from 'magic books by post' in the uk. It's not a huge volume, but some great stuff in there
Also have the 'handbook of horror' which I think is similar. I'll find it out.
*mentalmagic, pm me if you're interested in the book
K
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
364 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Try and get a copy of Ghostmasters by Mark Walker. Covers the shows of lots of the heyday performers. Heck, he even mentions Kara Kum who used to play a lot of Texas towns back in the late 40's and 50's.

TEB3
mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Thank's Smile

Yes I have watched Derren's Seance and Richard Wiseman.... they are very good...

The only thing is, I do not use a assistence..

Thank you very much for the good books...
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Rather than an assistant, what about the mediums grip and a reaching rod. Luminous polymer clay would enable you to make various glow in the dark shapes which could them fly around the room during your black out. Just a suggestion, at the end of the day you know what you are trying to achieve artistically, and what is right for that vision. The only point I was trying to make is that even a modern audience can be frightened with low tech old school methods. The Brown and Wiseman seances prove that point quite nicely I think.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3494 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I'd suggest leaving the spooks alone. Last one I spoke to said they are "tired of being disturbed every time they turn around by people doing shows. That if they have something to say they will contact us." We're going to keep on until something really bad happens and then people will blame it on the spooks, just like we do the wild animals in the wild when we go there and get hurt. Stay out of spook territory if you want to be safe.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
mblanckaert
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of mblanckaert
Speaking of Haunted Houses - Does anyone have "The Complete Haunted House Book" by Tim Harkleroad for sale?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I wanna make a spook show... Do you have a few tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL