The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you go to the Sochi Winter Olympics. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 11:51, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 00:48, critter wrote:
Sorry to be all Godwiny or whatever, but this kind of reminds me of something that happened before...

Poor guy couldn't even walk through the front doors of hotels or choose his own seat on a bus when he got home.

Which is still similar to now. Russia has all of these homophobic and misogynistic policies and those same things are institutionalized here on many levels. But look at how far we've come with human rights since WWII, and we're still making progress. Nothing changes if no one takes a stand. Whatever anyone wants to say about those girls from cervix cacophony, they didn't back down.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
FrostyFeet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of FrostyFeet
I dunno I love winter sports so I would go. It said that they have extreme security measures there but even without them I would go. Screw the terrorists =D
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 15:28, balducci wrote:

Was it?

"Upon returning to his native Louisville, Clay finds he's not immune to the racism that is so prevalent in the U.S. After being refused service by a waitress at a "whites-only" restaurant, and then fighting with a white gang, a disgusted Clay throws his gold medal into the Ohio River.

He turns professional and wins the first two fights of his career."

It's obviously not very likely.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Ah! Tommy jumped in before I could fix my post. The pics should be like so:

There we go. I think that goes a long way towards telling wether the story is true or not. Good story though.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
So I have to revise my earlier answer ...

If these headlines from Drudge are remotely accurate:

SUPER SECURITY TAKES OVER SUPER BOWL...
Hidden snipers deployed in stadium...
Black Hawk Helicopters On Alert...
F-16s prepared to scramble...

I'd rather be at Sochi than at the superbowl.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm sure potential suicide bombers everywhere are frightened into pacifism by those measures.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I think people should go if they have the money, the liesure time to go and would really like to see the Olympics. I would be vigalent if I were them, but I would also not cower down to terrorism and let them destroy an international event of goodwill and competition like the Olympics. I sympathize with the Russians when it comes to dealing with terrorism and I don't think people should let terrorists win by being intimidated out of going to the Olympics.

You have to have courage when facing terrorists. Sure Putin's Russia is not exactly our friend and it's a corrupt place that doesn't completely share our values, but I can sympathize with the Russians when it comes to dealing with terrorism and I certainly don't think people should let the terrorists win by cowering down to them and not going to the Olympics. It simply destroys an important international event of goodwill and competition by caving in to the fear the terrorists sow.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 23:48, General_Magician wrote:
I think people should go if they have the money, the liesure time to go and would really like to see the Olympics. I would be vigalent if I were them, but I would also not cower down to terrorism and let them destroy an international event of goodwill and competition like the Olympics. I sympathize with the Russians when it comes to dealing with terrorism and I don't think people should let terrorists win by being intimidated out of going to the Olympics.

You have to have courage when facing terrorists. Sure Putin's Russia is not exactly our friend and it's a corrupt place that doesn't completely share our values, but I can sympathize with the Russians when it comes to dealing with terrorism and I certainly don't think people should let the terrorists win by cowering down to them and not going to the Olympics. It simply destroys an important international event of goodwill and competition by caving in to the fear the terrorists sow.

Having courage and facing terrorists is much different than putting ones loved ones lives in danger to prove a point. I really cannot think of anything that would make me do this to my family to prove a point. My life, yes. My family and loved ones lives, NO.

Quite honestly I would much rather destroy what you call an important international event than have any chance of destroying any of my family. However that is just me. Your mileage may differ. I just don't see how but it might.

If called on to defend against these so called terrorists that is another matter. However I repeat. I am not about to put my loved ones in danger to watch a couple people frolic in the cold weather for medals. Please don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the best in the world competition and am in awe of those who strive to become the best. But after all is said and done and something were to befall my family. I feel that it boils down to watching those frolic in the cold weather for medals that cost me my family and I do not see any upside to that. Especially when we can watch it together in the safety of our homes here in the U.S.A.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 23:33, critter wrote:
I'm sure potential suicide bombers everywhere are frightened into pacifism by those measures.

:). Probably not, but as Boston showed us, not all terrorists are so eager to die.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Should I go to an ATM at 2:00 a.m. in South Central L.A.? I mean, if I don't, I'm letting the gang members win.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Should I go to an ATM at 2:00 a.m. in South Central L.A.? I mean, if I don't, I'm letting the gang members win.

Take a gun with you and shoot back if the gang bangers pull a gun on you.

Quote:
Having courage and facing terrorists is much different than putting ones loved ones lives in danger to prove a point. I really cannot think of anything that would make me do this to my family to prove a point. My life, yes. My family and loved ones lives, NO.

Quite honestly I would much rather destroy what you call an important international event than have any chance of destroying any of my family. However that is just me. Your mileage may differ. I just don't see how but it might.

If called on to defend against these so called terrorists that is another matter. However I repeat. I am not about to put my loved ones in danger to watch a couple people frolic in the cold weather for medals. Please don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the best in the world competition and am in awe of those who strive to become the best. But after all is said and done and something were to befall my family. I feel that it boils down to watching those frolic in the cold weather for medals that cost me my family and I do not see any upside to that. Especially when we can watch it together in the safety of our homes here in the U.S.A.

Well, I never thought of the Olympics as something as nothing more than just merely frolicing around in the snow. But, you know, I don't think people should just let these terrorists dictate how they should live. I certainly wouldn't want terrorists dictating to my family how we should live. I would just rather give them the middle finger and tell them to go screw themselves.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 01:32, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:

Take a gun with you and shoot back if the gang bangers pull a gun on you.

Quote:

Well, I never thought of the Olympics as something as nothing more than just merely frolicing around in the snow. But, you know, I don't think people should just let these terrorists dictate how they should live. I certainly wouldn't want terrorists dictating to my family how we should live. I would just rather give them the middle finger and tell them to go screw themselves.

I do not consider the Winter Olympics as frolicking in the snow either. However I would look at it that way if something happened to my family and I knew it was a distinct possibility. That was my point. Surely not to belittle the performers as I have a tremendous amount of respect for their sacrafices in order to be the best in the world at any given time. In fact I believe that is one of the things that makes this world of ours great...that is having the desire to be the best at what we do.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I do not consider the Winter Olympics as frolicking in the snow either. However I would look at it that way if something happened to my family and I knew it was a distinct possibility. That was my point. Surely not to belittle the performers as I have a tremendous amount of respect for their sacrafices in order to be the best in the world at any given time. In fact I believe that is one of the things that makes this world of ours great...that is having the desire to be the best at what we do.

Well, I certainly respect you a lot acesover and family is important. I understand your views. Family does come first. I just don't like giving terrorists a victory.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So if a bomb goes off at the Olympics,, but you're safe at home, that's a win for the terrorists because you didn't go, but if you're there and get killed, that's a win for you, because you didn't let them stop you from going?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Putin pets and cuddles leopard at a nature reserve near the Black Sea resort of Sochi, then commands it to attack and kill two journalists. Smile

Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26038480

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYr_5gRMFRU
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you go to the Sochi Winter Olympics. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL