The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » M-Case by Mickael Chatelain (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
What type of card box is this available in?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
You can get this in red and blue bicycle but we are only keeping red in stock, blue can be got in to order.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The latest Saturn Product Review is now live including M-Case

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/reviews.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Just received this from hocus pocus and man this thing is deviouse. Mr Chatelain you are a genuis. The things this man can do with making gimmicks is unreal.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Magoantonio
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Magoantonio
This is Antonio Romero, the creator of Romero Box, and I want to set some facts straight:

1. Romero Box was released in august 2013 after a lengthy period of development. Any discussion regarding who thought of it first are useless.

2. Mr. Chatelain never got in touch with me. It was Broe Gilbert, the creative producer of Paul Harris, who informed me that Mr. Chatelain had planned to develop a similar product and he wrote: "And since you came out with it first you win!"

He asked me if I wanted to share the idea with Chatelain and have it marketed by Paul Harris Productions.

I replied asking him about the margins of the operation and told him he could find ample further information on the Romero Box at https://www.facebook.com/RomeroBox?ref=hl where many well-known magicians were contributing their tricks and ideas.

Mr. Gilbert replied: "At this point it is looking like Paul Harris Presents will not be able to release our box effect because it is maybe to similar to your effect." At this point I'd like to thank Paul Harris Productions for their commendable ethics.

In the same email, Mr. Gilbert wrote:
"However we have no control over Mickael and he may decide to put this effect out on his own, which would be very large competition for your effect.
Ideally we should find a way to work together.
Would you be interested in taking your effect off the market for a short time and then re releasing it as a PH Presents effect with shared credit with Mickael ?
PH Presents would of course finance the manufacturing of new product."
These comments seem to imply that they hadn't reached the production stage and there seemed to be no reason to stop my production and leave it in other people's hands after having started to sell the product successfully in Europe. I developed the concept solely on my own and there is no reason to share it.

3. it is not right to justify the launching of their version speaking about my product, explaining that they will allow me to get my investment back, as if I had to thank them for that. They also point out that their version can be held by the spectator (as is the case with Romero Box!), and they thought of it a long time ago, as if I had pulled mine out of a top hat, and also that they were already producing it, while they asked me to stop mine so they could get started. Lots of nonsense.

If Mr. Chatelain's ethics don't keep him from launching a product that already exists I only ask him not to refer to the Romero Box to attempt getting his point across.

If you want to know more about Romero Box go to: https://www.facebook.com/RomeroBox and if you have an interesting idea to share, I would be happy to post it there.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Penguin sells Romero too - @ nearly double the price:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16363

and a small review here... http://magic.about.com/b/2013/12/29/revi......-box.htm

I won't get in the middle of this however.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
I got my M-Case today and had a look.

I don't think I would feel comfortable allowing the spectator to really have a long look at the box in their hands. I spotted the gimmick as soon as I looked at the box. I had no idea how it worked yet, but did notice that is was not a regular box.

After watching the DVD, I am really impressed on the workings of the effect. It does all and more of the effects seen in the demo.

I would not be afraid to tackle making my own if needed. Either transferring this one to another box or repairing this one.

I think this is fantastic and I will have fun with this effect.

Phil
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 13:32, Saturn Magic wrote:
The latest Saturn Product Review is now live including M-Case

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/reviews.html

The good lady wife has just ordered this along with some glue for my haunted deck,oooh I can 't wait,lol.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Thanks Fire Starter got your order.

Your right Merlin you won't want to leave people with this for ages, but it will pass inspection when you hold the box up to show them, if you think about the flap of the box that will cover for you as well.

The other thing I mention in my review is that we know what we are looking for in a box, a lay person would have no idea what looks normal.

I also said when I looked at the box I could not figure out how it worked, you also said this so a spectator has no chance really.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Both are good, but personally I like the Romero Box. And, I'm a big fan of Mickael Chatelain.

The f**p in the Romero Box is flat. It disengages when the box is dropped - either way.

The f**p in the M-Case is attached to one panel of the box. It disengages when the box is dropped or when you push down on the center of the box where the stamp is.

You can show the inside of the Romero box close-up at the beginning and it looks like an empty box. The M-Case seems a little more versatile since you can disengage the f**p by tapping the box, pushing down on the stamp, or dropping it.

The Romero Box is a little heavier and seems sturdier than the M-Case. I don't think either one is really "examinable".

Robert
kevishu
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kevishu
I received my M-Case yesterday and played around with it. Since I also have Romero Box, I can provide a bit of comparison.

The fundamental method between the two is similar, but still different enough where each has their pros and cons.

In regards to similarities, each may be examined, but I certainly wouldn't let a spectator handle either one more than just casually. M-Case may have a slight advantage here in that it "feels" more like a normal card box. The Romero Box is constructed with a little more extra material, and therefore, feels a little heavier (as Robert mentioned above).

As for reset, Romero Box is a huge advantage of allowing it to go back and forth between card changes (or whatever is being changed) easily on the fly. M-Case is designed to be somewhat "locked" into its final state (after the change). Resetting M-Case requires a small action either away from the spectators, or covertly when attention is away from the case. And you really can't just do it with your hands/fingers, as advised against on the DVD. These differences offer advantages and disadvantages here. Romero Box's advantage of quickly going back and forth between the two states without a "reset" means that if handed out to a spectator to casually look at, the spectator may inadvertantly activate the change themselves. This would require a certain action on the box, but due to the Romero Box's sensitivity to gimmick activation in either direction, it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could happen. With M-Case, it would be impossible for spectator to change it once it's been changed to its final state. That can be good or bad depending on how you wish to use the change box. Between the two, I would definitely say M-Case is better if you wanted to hand the box to someone to hold. But just know that, technically, the Romero Box could be handed to a spectator as well if managed properly.

As for the construction, I was a little disappointed at first with Romero Box. But I understand why it had to be designed the way it is. I remember spotting the issue on the trailer prior to purchasing. But still, for how it works, it's constructed very well. I was actually impressed. Disregarding specific method, I feel the quality of construction of Romero Box is actually a little better than that of M-Case. I'm actually more disappointed in the M-Case. It may just be that my particular M-Case is poorly constructed, but in the final "changed" state, there is an obvious issue upon looking inside of it box that almost gives it away. It seems as though the gimmick was not correctly sized and therefore leaves "something" looking kinda weird in its final "changed" state. I assume this is a manufacturing issue and may not be present on all M-Cases. On the other hand, due to the nature of the design, M-Case "looks" more normal and less altered than Romero Box. As mentioned above, the Romero Box is a bit heavier, due to extra material. Well, this causes it to look not quite like how a normal card box should look, but I doubt any laymen specators would ever notice it. A magician would likely spot it quickly, however.

Overall, I'm glad I bought both because I enjoy exploring a variety of solutions of gimmicks. And I really love the "change box" effect that these boxes provide. I'm not a working magician, just an enthusiastic hobbiest. I haven't determined a favorite yet as I haven't had enough time to explore the possibilies of each. Mickael offers a great variety of possible effects his DVD, which I found very helpful to get you started. Romero Box came with just a sheet of instructions and a few basic ideas. Overall value for the money, M-Case definitely wins here as the Romero Box is almost double the price. But don't write off the Romero Box just yet. It certainly has its advantages depending on what you're looking for.

Kevin
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Good clean comprehensive review and many thanks for posting.I do hope that if any of us that do purchase M-BOX and it does have a slight fault if you like,can we beable to put it right our self?.
kevishu
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kevishu
Unfortunately, I can't say for sure how to fix the flaw with the M-Case gimmick. I have a good idea what might need to happen, but it's definitely not something people would want to mess with. The Romero Box gimmick not have this issue because the gimmick, although fundamentally similar, is still different in the way it operates.

Now, I should state that the issue with my M-Case can be minimized as long as I'm the one holding it. If I squeeze the side of the box on the side in a certain way as I show it empty the issue is significantly reduced and less noticeable (actually looks really good). But if the box is just sitting on the table or if handed to a spectator (not being squeezed), one could likely spot an inexplicable deformity upon looking inside the box. It's unfortunate, because I believe it might just be a matter of sizing one part of the gimmick correctly. I believe Mickael Chatelain creates very good gimmicks, so I'm kinda thinking this might just be a "not so good" one that slipped through production. Or I'm just being extra picky about the look of it. Smile Regardless, this isn't something I'm too upset about. To be honest, I can't imagine much need to have a spectator handle a normal looking box anyway. It's still very cool!

Hope that helps.
Kevin
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
Hi,

I just bought the M case too, and like many among us I couldn't figure out how it worked before I saw the DVD, but I spotted that there was something unusual. I love the plenty of effects possible with that, as Mickael says in the DVD it's not just a trick, it's a tool for hundred of tricks.

@videoman, at the moment it's only available in Bicycle boxes, but I think Christian will see with Mickael if they will be allowed to do it in Phoenix boxes, if that was the question.

@Mickael, and others who do own the box by now, why not use the nail instead of a card?? I just don't understand this part. I find it way more impromptu to do it with a nail, many more possibilities with that.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I think there is more chance of damaging the edge of the gimmick if you use your nail.

This will of course depend on what your nails are like, a card is the safe bet but if a nail works for you then it would be easier to reset.

Another delivery just arrived with us so we are in stock again http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/m......ain.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Very impressed with this - and my guesswork was about 90% correct!

I ended up ordering a second one because I think I will get a lot out of this...
I've asked to be banned
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well first off I have just got to send a big thank you out to Mark of ' Saturn Magic',ordered it Saturday and received it today,now that is dam fast service.Now to the box a little dissapointed when I opened up the DVD case to find an old type box,i do not have many in my vast collection of cards and I have many,many like most of us so a deck switch is ,well I'll get round it,sure I can make this up and my art n craft skills are naff ,but I can handle this,not watched the DVD yet,so will get back and give a review,all the best Shane.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't get the "old type box" thing - name me a punter that cares about stuff like that?!

plus, you can still get them I think from cards4magic.co.uk amongst other places...
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2014-01-28 15:07, IAIN wrote:
I don't get the "old type box" thing - name me a punter that cares about stuff like that?!

plus, you can still get them I think from cards4magic.co.uk amongst other places...

I still find these in stores a lot- the Rider Bicycle Deck (has the "old style box")... Not Standard Bicycle Deck (new style box)....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
My local shop where I purchase my Rider Bicycle Decks has just changed funny enough to JUMBO bike box's and does not sell standards anymore so will source them online and will no doubht save some pennies.Yes I was a little taken back that this is a new realese so why not a standard style box instead of an older design with this new realese?,still won't loose any sleep over it,lol, I just like to switch my decks and have them look exactly the same right down sometimes to what order the cards may be in just little subtleties that I like to use to eliminate any possibilities of a difference being recognised,might be over the top,but that's just ME, review to come soon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » M-Case by Mickael Chatelain (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL