The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Coincidental Cut (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I just learned this effect off of I believe its one of the Aldo On Trost DVD's (Also Colombini) and it's very nice. The effect: Spectator cuts the deck anywhere. Magician takes bottom half, spreads and has them choose a card and buries it in middle. Says "I wont use the card you chose but the 2 cards on either side". The spectator adds those 2 together and the sum is the same as the number of cards they cut off at the beginning. I just forget the title of the stack arrangement. I don't want to outline the stack here for "exposure reasons" but PM me if you want to know more. Very easy and uses the business card prophecy switch (only sleight). Pretty much self working.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hello TheMag1cian,

I would love to learn the name and/or where it might be found. I am very aware of the Prophesy Move and I love it! But, that said,as I understand that move, it forces the use of top and bottom cards. As such, I cannot envision how the fixed top and bottom card values can be utilized to add up to any total value of the cut to cards. Needless to say, I'm intrigued! And, as a "bonus", I love this type of effect.

Thanks for any information that you are able to provide me in these regards.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Here's Colombini performing it.

http://m.youtube.com/home
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
This was a Nick Trost effect presented by Aldo Colombini. I learned it off "Aldo On Trost # 5" This is the youtube link. Magnificent trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7fknGcoEGQ
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
I do a similar thing with a memorized stack based on a Bernard Bilis idea. It's fun.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Having a spec. cut a deck of cards, choose a selection then add the sum of the 2 facedown cards on either side of that selection to reveal how many cards the spec. actually cut hits them inbetween the eyes. Love it! I've been studying Trost this past year fairly heavily and I get more and more impressed each page I read or video I watch.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Print reference: "Coincidental Cut" is in Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations Vol 2, p.314.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Great. Thanks Duane!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
My thanks to TheMag1cian and to duanebarry respectively for the video and printed references to this wonderful effect.

Mike

P.S. Man! I certainly miss Aldo.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
This looks great! Love these type of effects, will look this up and combine it with Finger Flicker by Pit Hartling! Very very cool Smile Thanks for this post!
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3140 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Nice effect!
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Just purchased the download! Smile
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2014, Cain wrote:
I do a similar thing with a memorized stack based on a Bernard Bilis idea. It's fun.

I have since discovered a method that accomplishes the same effect but impromptu. Andi Gladwin's going to publish it in the June issue of Genii. The trick is called "Karma Sandwich."
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Any one who likes this kind of effect should read Art Decko by Simon Aronson. He has a chapter titled Totals that deals with routines based around this idea. Some more impromptu than others, but all killer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Coincidental Cut (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL