The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape Opener, you pick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
I'm working on an escape Opener for my Ren Faire act. Here are your choices.

A. A pirate bag with a skull and crossbones. It has metal grommets at the top, and the bag is sealed with several padlocks placed through the grommets. I explain that I was captured by pirates and locked in a bag and thrown overboard. I needed to escape in 30 seconds or I'd drown. The audience counts down from 30 while I escape. The advantage of this is that I can lock myself into the bag. There's just enough of a gap between each lock that I can reach my hand through and pick each lock open. The advantages of this are that I already have all the props (don't need to build or buy anything), and I can lock myself into the bag. (This makes the performance a lot faster.)

B. A rope escape with a noose around my neck. The noose is done in such a way that it poses no danger but looks really dangerous. This is basically like the challenge 100ft rope escape, but I'll be using way less rope and as such it will take way less time to tie me. I was also thinking of making some sort of canvas jacket with ropes that run through it. This would eliminate rope burn and it would mean I would be almost done getting tied as I walk on stage. All the audience has to do is pull the ropes taught and tie them. The noose also adds a danger/fear element.

C. Chain escape. Again, I was thinking of having a canvas jacket with loops on the outside that the chain would run through. This would allow the audience to simply pull them taught and put locks on them making it quicker. This escape has the biggest difficulty aspect to it. The question with this one is how to make the escape, as in slip some of the chains or produce a pick and pick some of the locks (or a combination of the two).

Which do you think would have the most impact on audiences?
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of guyactor
McCauley - Neat ideas. I've been attending Ren Faires for many years and always enjoy performances, whatever they may be, when they are true to the genre/period.

What would you be wearing? Is your character a pirate? Option A would be good if the locks looked period or rusted but don't know your locks. The story of being thrown overboard is great!

The noose idea is closer to 'authentic'. Ropes, hanging, etc, were all part of the era. Option C appeals to me the least, but it's just my opinion. However, the canvas jacket could look ship worn as you could
explain it came from inside the bottom/hull of an ancient ship used to run rum/guns, or any type of piratic personnel.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I like option "A." Getting the audience to count definatly adds to the performance.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape Opener, you pick... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL