The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Spiritual Stage » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (79 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
The pope has made some interesting comments today:

http://money.msn.com/business-news/artic......17283097

JR
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
HI JR
What I was getting at was that this book of yours doesn't have theology that would be in line with gospel illusion performers, so the spiritual principles in it would not likely be transferable(or at least not all of them without the Christian reader discerning through it). For example you say:
"...but that each of us has the power within us to do what may seem impossible, and turn around our entire way of thinking."
To a Christian this principle rings of a human potential movement tone. Which is totally fine if someone wants to live by that principle, but it isn't a Christian principle. A Christian believes they don't have divine power inside them, but that they are separated from God, and need a relationship with God, through Jesus, to have that relationship and reconnection with God. The faith and any works that come from that come from God's power not their own.
So my question was trying to see if there is content, aside from the theological ones, which I feel there is limited value for a Christian theology perspective, that would have value for a christian/gospel performer.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
With the greatest respect, Randy, I totally disagree with your definition of "Christian". I am a Christian, and I do not believe I have a separation from God. However, I fully respect your viewpoint. Hopefully you will respect mine!

Just for the record, I do many shows at Bible schools in Arizona in the summer......always with a message. I am very popular with the faculty who run these events, and they always comment how much they love my messages!!! JR
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
The veil was torn when Christ died.

Hmmm sounds like a tie in with an effect, or could be just talked about.

These days, I share my testimony, words as much or more than using props in my Gospel programs.

My sinful nature leads me to think and act one way.

When Christ left, he told his Disciples(yes they were Hebrew/Jewish)
he would leave a ... But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you...(John 14: something...it's in there....just read the part in black and red)

When I have the Holy Spirit, my thoughts and actions are much different.
At least most of the time.

Some have seen them, here are examples of my Praise and Worship team work. I'm playing harp/harmonica.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9......n_edit=1

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Hi JR, I respect your right to believe as you do and appreciate the respect you have reciprocated. Your parameters for "Christian" differ from many who in this forum call themselves Christian, so my motive is simply to indicate that AND give you a chance to point out what in your book could be of value to that group of us here. Smile
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Hi JR,

Perhaps you might submit your book to the FCM and they can review it in The FCM Voice magazine.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 11:13, randyburtis wrote:
Hi JR, I respect your right to believe as you do and appreciate the respect you have reciprocated. Your parameters for "Christian" differ from many who in this forum call themselves Christian, so my motive is simply to indicate that AND give you a chance to point out what in your book could be of value to that group of us here. Smile

Thanks Randy! In a nutshell, the reason that this book would in my opinion be of great value to members of this forum is because it is my hope that by reading and absorbing the contents, your lives will not only be filled with even greater joy and happiness than you may be experiencing at the moment, but that your shows and messages will also take you to new levels. I will admit that the book is unique. I am unaware of anything like this ever having been written before with magicians and other entertainers being the target audience. I am hopeful that this book will change the lives of many for the better...........or at least make them think!! I think Jesus would be quite pleased with this book, as many of His life messages are mentioned in the book. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post a couple more passages from the book on here. Let me know. Thanks! JR
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I would like to read more excerpts.

Does it touch on other things besides joy?
I know a times I feel great joy in church. Other times I am convicted on things I did or perhaps could have done.
From an ego center, to God centered is a blessed, sometime rocky road that always lead me back to
Him.
God is not done with me yet.
Great dialogue people. Thanks.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
This whole thread makes me wonder, as I was told years ago by Café Moderators that I could not include a link in my signature here to a website that sold the book that I co-authored with illusionist Andre' Kole. Just sayin'!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 17:01, Terry Holley wrote:
This whole thread makes me wonder, as I was told years ago by Café Moderators that I could not include a link in my signature here to a website that sold the book that I co-authored with illusionist Andre' Kole. Just sayin'!

As you can imagine, Terry, I am good friends with Andre Kole. We live in the same town:

JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 16:54, Harris wrote:
I would like to read more excerpts.

Does it touch on other things besides joy?
I know a times I feel great joy in church. Other times I am convicted on things I did or perhaps could have done.
From an ego center, to God centered is a blessed, sometime rocky road that always lead me back to
Him.
God is not done with me yet.
Great dialogue people. Thanks.

Here is a short extract from my book:

"Everything in the universe comprises of energy. All form has energy, and all non-form also has energy. From the tiniest cell to the highest mountain, it is all energy. How you emit that energy is your choice. It is deep inside you, and is all around you. It is your very essence and your source, and you have the ability to control it. You are all part of one vast universal subconscious entity. Members of your audience have the same source that you do as performers, and are all part of an identical consciousness. As entertainers, all you are really doing is connecting with that source and its greatness and transmitting energy through time and space to those who watch you.

Rumi, the 12th Century Turkish poet and Sufi mystic, was the founder of the Whirling Dervishes. The idea behind this form of dance was that everything in the universe is spinning and revolving. The earth is spinning on its own axis, as well as slowly moving around the sun. A Dervish will hold one hand up and one hand down. This is to show that you give to humankind what you receive back in kind. This is the same for you as performers. In a good show, the energy will be circulating around the room. You give your energy out to the audience, and they, in turn, return it to you.

Buddhists talk about energy. They do not use the word “God”, but they do believe in reincarnation. They say that when you die, your energy stays with you and transfers itself to a different form. This continues over many lifetimes, eventually resulting in Nirvana or enlightenment. God, source, energy, spirit…in my world there is no difference. The power of pure love is in all of you. You all have the gift to achieve amazing things when you tap into your positive spiritual energy."

JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
More:

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” ~ Winston Churchill

"Everything that you put out to the universe in a positive way will return to you in an affirmative way. As the scripture says, “Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened up unto you.” What are you asking for? In other words, what is your real heart’s desire? This is important because if you ask for the wrong things then the wrong things will be delivered to you. Your spirit really knows your heart’s desires. Your superficial desires may be very different to the wishes that are deep inside you. What is truly important is the need to connect with your innermost being. You may think you already know your true hearts desire. You may only be focusing on the external and obvious desires without connecting to your true being. You may be using your ego, and not relying on your intuition or your true inner self which surpasses all things material, and knows you better than you know yourself.

This might help. Do you ever ask questions like “What should I do with my life?” “What kind of an act should I do?” “Should I take my vacation in San Diego or Bali?” “Should I date this person or that person?” What is fundamentally wrong is the question itself. Try and replace the word “should” with the word “want.” By doing this, the process will become much easier. Try saying “What, above all else, do I want to do to live the life of my dreams?” Don’t hold back on your response. Even if it seems impossible at the time, don’t restrain from answering the question truthfully. Once the question is answered, you are well on your way to achieving your desires."

JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
More:

“Be as wise as serpents and as gentle as lambs”

"I have covered the innocence of childhood in several areas of the book, but in truth there is only total innocence in the world of spirit, before you become a baby and later when you die. What I am encouraging you to do as an adult is to still be childlike. As a child you have the innocence of judgment. As an adult those who are not spiritually aware continually judge the world and all that is therein. Try living a life free of all judgment and amazing spiritual growth will transpire.

"To enter the Kingdom of Heaven, you must be as children," Jesus Christ

What kind of judgments do you make of a daily basis? You may make judgments about the way people look, whether they are thin or fat, ugly or beautiful, tall or short, black or white, gay or straight. You might make judgments about someone’s personality. They talk too much, they are boring, they talk too loudly, you can’t hear what they are saying, they have bad breath, their perfume is too sweet, they are smokers, you don’t like the way they dress, or they married the wrong person. You might make judgments about people homes. You don’t like their furniture, they never turn off the television, they have too many pictures on the wall, their house is a mess, they have a large yard and they don’t even have any plants in it. You could judge a person’s car, or their taste in music. Then there is the judgment of someone’s extended family. Their kids are obnoxious; the dogs bark too much, the grandmother is a snob. I am sure you all get the picture.

As a young child, you don’t judge, you simply accept as that is all you know. You have recently arrived from the spirit world where all is pure and innocent. However, that pure innocence vanishes almost immediately. You cry, mother feeds you, and you are no longer totally innocent as you are placing demands on your mother. However, you are not making any judgments, but accepting all that is. Even if you are abused as a child, you are blindly accepting that is the way it is supposed to be.

Be careful about labeling yourself as an innocent victim. This is all too common for an adult, but it is also a way of passing judgment on others. Certainly, if you have been abused by another, you are indeed innocent. However, a truly enlightened spiritual being will not pass judgment on the perpetrator. If a crime is committed and you are the recipient of this, it is unwise to focus on being the innocent victim. This is a false kind of innocence. Naturally you will feel angry and bitter towards the abuser, but that is not the same as passing judgment. Obviously, if someone has done you harm, they have some major problems which will surface karmic ally in their own lives.

As entertainers, be careful not to pass judgment on others in your profession. This is not the same as having an opinion about another entertainer or show. It would be naïve for me to suggest that you should never express your feelings, good or bad, about a particular performance you have witnessed. However,” judgment” is negative word, and very different to the word “opinion.” An opinion might be: “I did not like that magician. I found his tricks were dull, and his script unfunny.” A judgment might be: “That magician was awful. Nobody is going to like his act, and he should give up being a magician.”

“Being part of the natural world reminds me that innocence isn't ever lost completely; we just need to maintain our goodness to regain it.” Jewel

I encourage you to be childlike, and not allow the world and its inhabitants to destroy your innocence. You do not have to watch television, read the newspapers, or go to the movies to watch violence on the big screen. You are all aware that terrible things are happening all the time in the world of form, but this does not mean you have to be a part of it. Return to innocence, and by your example you will encourage others to follow your path."

JR
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 10:58, Harris wrote:

Some have seen them, here are examples of my Praise and Worship team work. I'm playing harp/harmonica.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9......n_edit=1

Harris

I clicked on the link and was greeted with the following:

Private Playlist

This playlist is private.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Last one from my book:

"In my own life I have traveled through many religious and spiritual evolutions. I was brought up in a very traditional manner by going to church on a regular basis every Sunday, both at my boarding schools and of course during the school holidays when I would listen to my own father preaching the sermons at his parish church. In these services I had the image of God living out there in an amazing, far away land known as heaven. Heaven was a wonderful Paradise, a beautiful garden, with nothing but love and kindness and Angels.

I now see things very differently. I think of God as being my source; the source of everything. I feel God is part of me, in me and all around me at every waking and sleeping moment. I sense God being my very soul, my being. He is the Creator of all life and death; of all happiness and sadness, of all that is light and that which is dark. He is the source from which the universe was formed. He was there before the big bang, and will be present when the last light in the last universe is extinguished. He is the source of the oceans and rivers as well as the desolate desert. He was there when the first plants and animals appeared, and at the creation of man and woman. He is the greatest of all magicians.

“We are the stuff that stars are made of….”~ Carl Sagan

God was also there in the gas chambers at Auschwitz and Belsan, and on the killing fields in Cambodia and Rwanda. He was right there inside the airplanes, as they crashed in to the World Trade centre on September 11th, 2001. What was his role in these terrible tragedies? It was to provide spiritual comfort to the suffering that was caused by man’s insanity. Through tragedy and affliction, you can all learn to grow, so that one day all this madness will be a thing of the past. Suffering is caused by man. It is never caused by God. God is pure Love, Goodness, Kindness and Peace. I see him as my inspiration, and the spirit that I turn to in times of trouble and of joy. I no longer see him as a Santa Claus figure in a far off land. I see him right here and now as part of my very essence. The Kingdom of Heaven is here at this very moment, inside of each one of you. It is a state of consciousness rather than a place. However, you are at liberty to enter this state at any moment of your choosing. All life is part of God, and God is part of all life. You all have the choice to live in heaven at any given moment."

JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am curious what those of you on here think of "A Course in Miracles" by Helen Schucman. I have no doubt that many of you will be familiar with this tome, which supposedly are the words of Jesus channeled through Helen. Do you consider it authentic? I would be most interested in your thoughts on this. JR
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Been decades since I read it. As I recall it does not follow Biblical truth.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 21:50, Harris wrote:
Been decades since I read it. As I recall it does not follow Biblical truth.

Harris

Naturally, Harris, for those who feel the words were dictated by Jesus, then it would indeed be the truth. I am open-minded on whether the course was in fact spoken by Jesus himself, as many believe, but it does seem quite possible. There is some amazing wisdom in the course. Here is a link which gives you more information: http://acim.org
JR

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God."
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him
Note below in (Galatians 1:6-9) Paul thought this was so important, he repeated it:

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

In my youth I attended this group. As I recall it/unity is a motley group from a wide range of beliefs. This is like a lot of current
Churches. The ideas are not. As a counselor I recall many 12 step groups used their buildings. Seems like a lot of
Churches rent rooms to those great groups that have helped a lot of people. Most of those groups
Use something like HP higher power. CR. groups use statements like I'm a believer in Jesus Christ. ...but I digress,as usual.

Christ is not just a man.
Evil does exist. It is one thing we can hate.
There were/are a lot if great men. Not one was buried and rose and took away the suns if the world. Only Jesus.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Spiritual Stage » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (79 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL