The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Smarts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thia is just for fun. I love these things. There are thirty-one questions in which you have 8 seconds to answer. No fair taking it twice.

I'm not giving my results because I don't wish to set up a competition here. It's just plain fun. First person to give results is a boor.

Try it.

http://www.flashbynight.com/test/
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't want to be a boor, but I was pleased with my result. The test is kind of fun, but also it puts the pressure on.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The first question was about distance across the USA in miles. Hardly a test of intelligence. Unless you're an American raised on the imperial system. How many of you could estimate the distance from Calgary to Toronto in kilometers?

Bah.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16203 Posts

Profile of tommy
I can estimate anything.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
42?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Without doing any math, I'd estimate it would be about 3500 kilometers from calgary to toronto
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 15:27, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The first question was about distance across the USA in miles. Hardly a test of intelligence. Unless you're an American raised on the imperial system. How many of you could estimate the distance from Calgary to Toronto in kilometers?

Bah.

Anyone who knows Fibonacci numbers! Y'know, the sequence that begins 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89.... (In general, the next term is the sum of the previous two terms, starting at 1, 1.) Long story short, a good estimate for converting between miles and kilometers is move to the adjacent Fibonacci number. (You have to know that a mile is longer than a kilometer, to know which direction to go.) For example, 13 miles is roughly 21 kilometers (or more exactly, 20.92 km). The approximation improves for larger numbers; 2 miles is 3.2 km.

Long story a little less short: the miles-to-kilometers conversion factor is approximately 1.61. Coincidentally, this is pretty close to the "golden mean," which is approximately 1.62. Not-so-coincidentally, the ratio of consecutive terms of the Fibonacci sequence approaches the golden mean.

So, for example, if you wanted to estimate 3500 km in miles, 3500 is a little more than 3400. So that's a little more than 2100 miles.

Granted, the utility of this observation depends on how well one knows Fibonacci numbers. But doesn't everyone know Fibonacci numbers up to 89? Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 15:48, Cliffg37 wrote:
Without doing any math, I'd estimate it would be about 3500 kilometers from calgary to toronto

Remarkable. Did you do any googling?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

Bah.

So? Put up a Canadian test! Smile

It's for fun man! Jeez.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 15:15, Cliffg37 wrote:
I don't want to be a boor, but I was pleased with my result. The test is kind of fun, but also it puts the pressure on.

That's not being a boor Cliff! I waa pleased with mine too. It's just a fun test, well, for most of us anyway. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 20:13, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

Bah.

So? Put up a Canadian test! Smile

It's for fun man! Jeez.

I've tried. Nobody wants to play.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Well I can tell you, I'm getting smarter.

By the third or forth time I'm looking pretty good.

-Mary Mowder
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 02:44, Mary Mowder wrote:
Well I can tell you, I'm getting smarter.

By the third or forth time I'm looking pretty good.

-Mary Mowder

:)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5018 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 18:15, MobilityBundle wrote:
Quote:

Bah.

Anyone who knows Fibonacci numbers! Y'know, the sequence that begins 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89.... (In general, the next term is the sum of the previous two terms, starting at 1, 1.) Long story short, a good estimate for converting between miles and kilometers is move to the adjacent Fibonacci number. (You have to know that a mile is longer than a kilometer, to know which direction to go.) For example, 13 miles is roughly 21 kilometers (or more exactly, 20.92 km). The approximation improves for larger numbers; 2 miles is 3.2 km.

Long story a little less short: the miles-to-kilometers conversion factor is approximately 1.61. Coincidentally, this is pretty close to the "golden mean," which is approximately 1.62. Not-so-coincidentally, the ratio of consecutive terms of the Fibonacci sequence approaches the golden mean.

So, for example, if you wanted to estimate 3500 km in miles, 3500 is a little more than 3400. So that's a little more than 2100 miles.

Granted, the utility of this observation depends on how well one knows Fibonacci numbers. But doesn't everyone know Fibonacci numbers up to 89? Smile

Wow, very cool. I knew the conversion ration for miles to km, and knew that the Fibonacci ratio was phi, but I never put the two together. My usual mental method was double and subtract twice a tenth of the result. From km to miles, half plus a quarter of the result is fairly easy as well. But next time I see a road sign in Canada that posts a limit of 4181 km/hr I'll immediately know, oh, I shouldn't be doing more than 2584 m/hr. Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Am I smart because I know things like the band "A Chemical Test" or what the names of the different cars are on the market?

I don't find the test fun, but stupid. That's what makes me smart.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Maybe you and Magnus should post a couple of your own fun things then. Smile

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
One of the funniest songs ever recorded! Well, except maybe for Napoleon XIV's "They're coming to take me away"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 00:45, Bob1Dog wrote:
Thia is just for fun. I love these things. There are thirty-one questions in which you have 8 seconds to answer. No fair taking it twice.

I'm not giving my results because I don't wish to set up a competition here. It's just plain fun. First person to give results is a boor.

Try it.

http://www.flashbynight.com/test/

I'll wager that no one got a perfect score of 31 o matter how many times they take the test. Smile

And just to clarify, it's 8 seconds for each question. Don't start off like I did and try to answer them all in 8 seconds. Smile

Bazinga!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Smarts? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL