The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lion Incident - Lviv Circus, Ukraine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
According to an Indian former officemate of mine, nobody would ever eat tiger meat because tigers are carnivores; hence, their meat would have an unappealing taste.

I presume one can extrapolate that to lions.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The Chinese and other cultures have been consuming dogs for a long time. I know, it;s repugnant, to me anyway. But still, it occurs. I've read that dogs are naturally biased towared being carnivores, because of their evolution from wolves. But they can also be considered ominvores in modern times. So I'm not sure how that would change the taste of dogs. In Hong Kong, I've heard that dogs taste like goat.

I believe any society desiring protein from meat will consume anything that might be hunted.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Don't forget the doves and rabbits used for entertainment. Smile

Cruelty to animals?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
It's legal to hunt doves and rabbits where I live, so for me the hunt is legal and not cruel to animals. And if you've never tasted dove breasts wrapped in bacon,grilled on the barbie, you're missing out on a treat that's almost as good as satay with cucumbers and peanut sauce. Rabbits? Well they don't really taste like chicken, but they're still tasty. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 01:46, Bob1Dog wrote:
It's legal to hunt doves and rabbits where I live, so for me the hunt is legal and not cruel to animals.

Well, legal anyway.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Not fair lobo, you're a vegetarian. Hunting is legal and it isn't cruel. It's been around this country for a long time and it's not going away anytime soon. Hunting is no different than buying hamburger at the supermarket. It's just that some of us find the sport and the game more favorable than buying it. And our game is as natural as it gets.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 02:05, Bob1Dog wrote:
Not fair lobo, you're a vegetarian. Hunting is legal and it isn't cruel. It's been around this country for a long time and it's not going away anytime soon. Hunting is no different than buying hamburger at the supermarket. It's just that some of us find the sport and the game more favorable than buying it. And our game is as natural as it gets.

Whether or not it's legal has no bearing on whether or not it's cruel. Nor does how long it's been around.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We have a zoo here that keeps rescued big cats that couldn't survive on their own due to injuries or other factors. I remember them telling us about one lion that the had to come and get out of the idiot owner's Corvette or Lamborghini or whatever it was. If this zoo didn't exist they would have put the animal down, which happens much more often with ill-planned exotic pets than we tend to hear about. It would obviously be best if people didn't go buying lions and tigers (and bears?) without knowing what they're getting into, but as long as they are I can't fault the zoo and am glad they are there to help.
Capturing healthy animals in the wild just to put them on display is something I'm also opposed to.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 01:46, Bob1Dog wrote:
It's legal to hunt doves and rabbits where I live, so for me the hunt is legal and not cruel to animals. And if you've never tasted dove breasts wrapped in bacon,grilled on the barbie, you're missing out on a treat that's almost as good as satay with cucumbers and peanut sauce. Rabbits? Well they don't really taste like chicken, but they're still tasty. Smile

I have tasted both. They're tasty.

But I meant for Magic Shows, all that stuffing (not the eating kind) is not cruel? Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 21:57, Starrpower wrote:
Trying to look at this from a lion's perspective, I'd think "dignity" would have been to end it for all of those doofuses with one well-placed swipe, and then walk back to his perch and leisurely lick the blood from his paw.

Look again at the lion who stayed out the melee, like Smile "My agent told me this was a professional act. Can we get with the program here? Smile "
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 02:19, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Whether or not it's legal has no bearing on whether or not it's cruel. Nor does how long it's been around.

I'm an omnivore, and I fully agree with Lobo.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
A few of the cats toward the end of the clip seemed to me to be taking their cues from the "handlers". Oh, another swat, o.k., I'm game. The cats were looking to each other as if trying to figure out what was expected of them. Do we go back to the routine or improvise? The handler seemed to be looking for a fight and they gave him a little one, in my opinion. Give 'em a show, boys, you know, something to talk about. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Weird that the handlers made no attempt to get the lions offstage, back in their cages, but continued to keep all in a dangerous situation.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That's what I thought, too, landmark. The cat backed off fairly early on and they continued poking at him. I'd think when he backed off and sat down (3:22) he should have been diverted to a secure location. I don't think it was the time for the handler to take the stick from his assistant and resume poking. That's where I say that handler was looking for a fight- had something to prove. If he's the leader, why's he engaging in fisticuffs with his cat after the cat has backed away and sat down? It was his body language in the first place, I think, that provoked the cat. I think the lineup could have been arranged in a way the cat could have more easily relaxed after his choreography. You see him return to his "seat", the third cat picks up the cue and proceeds, but the handler is moving quickly in a line that (3:06), I think, the first cat perceives as challenging. I think the choreography should have been changed, perhaps, after the second cat, continue on that side of the ring and have the third cat go from there. I think, however, the main problem here is the handler's inattention to or lack of responsibility for his own movements. That's my take on it, for what it's worth.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 02:19, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

It's a cruel world lobo. Animals kill each other cruelly to survive. Man kills animals (as humanely as possible) to survive. Man has eaten meat for thousands of years and it ain't gonna change anytime soon. Call it cruel if you want. Some might call it survival. You and I aren't going to settle this here. You're entitled to your opinion and food choices, as am I. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
For the record, I have no objection to legal, humane hunts. In your earlier post, Bob, you equated legal with humane, and I suspect you didn't really mean it.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Magnus, I didn't give it much thought when I wrote it but that said, hunters are taught to make clean shots for instant kills. Does it always work out that way? Of course not. Just as slaughterhouses do their work as humanely as possible. I respect and love animals as much as the rest of us, but livestock has been raised as food for man for thousands of years. I believe it's always been the practice to kill as quickly and humanely as possible, even in ancient times. No sane human being enjoys suffering in any living creature. So, also for the record, I am against the inhumane killing of animals for food. For that matter, I'm against the killing of animals for anything else but food. I detest hunters who hunt for the trophy. I detest poachers who hunt illegally and those who hunt for the blackmarket things they sell from those hunts, like ivory. I want to be very clear on that.

Now, you just beat me to an edit I was going to add as a P.S. to my previous post to lobo, Smile so I'll include it here. I believe lobo is a fan of J.D. Salinger and I wanted to alert him that tonight here on the east coast, PBS is airing a special two-and-a-half hour special titled Salinjger: American Masters.

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If you eat meat, you condone killing animals at some level I think...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 10:42, magicalaurie wrote:
That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

the Lion Whisperer.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I guess I am strange. (Well, you know that I am strange,) But it seems obvious to me that all of us have some kind of respect for animals, even if we eat them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lion Incident - Lviv Circus, Ukraine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL